Forums Latest Members

Finally got my first Moon watch today!

1. Strangedream Dec 2, 2019

After all the time I've been lusting over a Moon watch I finally pulled the trigger and got mine today. At first I was a bit hesitant because I have very tiny wrists - wearing a 42mm case on a 6" twig ain't the exact meaning of finesse but oh well. It's a relatively modern 2005 ref. 3570.50.00 cal.1861 with Hesalite glass. I still prefer vintage Speedies with a bit of patina, but I got a relatively good price on this piece since the seller was in a rush to sell.

So happy and proud to join the club after all this lurking! Anyways, just wanted to share my joy with you guys!

IMG_1506.jpg IMG_1508.jpg IMG_1510.jpg IMG_1511.jpg IMG_1513.jpg IMG_1548.jpg 2.jpg
    Edited Dec 5, 2019
    ahartfie, drhombus24, BatDad and 22 others like this.
  2. steveb73 Dec 2, 2019

Congratulations, it looks great! The Hesalite crystal gives it a lovely warm vintage look!!! Thanks for sharing.

Strangedream likes this.
  3. Martin_J_N Dec 2, 2019

Nice. Congratulations on getting a great watch.

Strangedream likes this.
  4. Evitzee Dec 2, 2019

Give it thirty years, you'll get your patina.

Strangedream likes this.
  5. Omega-Q Dec 2, 2019

Congratulations, and welcome to the club! Now wear the heck out of it! :)

Strangedream likes this.
  6. 03Hemi Dec 2, 2019

Yeah, looks too big, better send it to me and I'll take care of it for you. lol :D

7. Strangedream Dec 2, 2019

Oh I definitely will! This Speedy and my Primero - when I get it back from servicing - will be my daily drivers for a very very long time!

8. Strangedream Dec 2, 2019

I see what you did there, but no this one will stay in my collection/on my wrist for a while :p

03Hemi likes this.
  9. 03Hemi Dec 2, 2019

Trust me, nobody will be looking at your arm when you have that beauty on! Gorgeous, and it ain't too big either.

Strangedream likes this.
  10. durri70 Dec 2, 2019

Welcome to the speedy club
    Congratulations

Strangedream likes this.
  11. PhilF Dec 2, 2019

Welcome to Omega Madness, and remember to save your extra links!
    Seriously, it looks fine on you. I have a (barely) 7" wrist, and tried a leather/deployant strap when the bracelet was either too tight/too loose depending on temperature. Works well and makes the Speedy wear a bit smaller. Now you can start accumulating your own patina!
    20191112_150107.jpg

Edited Dec 2, 2019
    paulie8777 and Strangedream like this.
  12. Strangedream Dec 2, 2019

I'm considering ditching the metal bracelet for a NATO strap, or an Erika MN strap maybe. While this will cheapen the look of the watch it'll make it look more wearable on my wrist.

The 42mm looks fine on your 7" wrist too. The good thing with the speedy is that the lug-lug distance is relative small compared to the case size. My EP is only 38mm but the lug-lug distance is barely 1mm shorter than the 42mm Speedy's.

PhilF likes this.
  13. 89-0 Dec 2, 2019

Congrats! Looks cheesy...you might want to give the back a cleaning!

14. Deltatango Dec 2, 2019

congrats, beautiful watch... wear it with pride

Strangedream likes this.
  15. PhilF Dec 2, 2019

Thanks, I only replaced the bracelet because of the temperature/fit/comfort issues, if Omega made quarter or even half links for the Speedmaster I'd be all-in on the bracelet. Acquiring the Omega leather/deployant clasp really changed my thinking on both the appearance and function of my Speedy. IMHO, A quality leather strap changes a tool watch to something a bit more formal. Depending on the strap, vintage Horween, stitched or rallye, the watch takes on a different personality, so try several. As far a NATO'S, I prefer single-pass so the watch sits lower on the wrist, although the Omega NATO is spendy, but really worth it. Omega does use different springbars on bracelets & straps. It's kinda hard to make a Speedmaster look cheap as, unless the strap is obviously cheap, the watch immediately draws the attention, it's a classic, elegant and distinctive design that has and continues to intrigue anyone who likes watches. You have chosen well.

Strangedream likes this.
  16. Markinrecess Dec 5, 2019

Congrats, great watch. I have had mine fir quite a while now and still love it every day. Never a bad decision.

17. Strangedream Dec 6, 2019

I have to confess it wasn't really love at first sight. I admire the history of this watch and the idea of it but when I first tried it on it looked huge on me. I thought if I still don't feel comfortable with the size I can always flip it for a decent profit. However, the more I wear it the more I love it. It's really growing on me (no pun intended) and I can't see my collection without this piece already.