Forums Latest Members

Finally got a screen shot as proof!

1. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2018

This has been happening for the last several months more frequently than ever, and it only appears for a split second:

ΩFbecomesWUS2.png

Given the way things have been going lately here, I figured it would pop up again very soon so I was prepared to grab a quick screen shot.

The only thing constant on watch forums is their identical evolution. What goes up must come down.

2. Screwbacks Jul 6, 2018

what's watchuseek?

lando, kkt, Wryfox and 2 others like this.
  3. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2018

Another watch forum that was once the greatest place on the internet to discuss watches, until it got popular and the douches and assholes came out of the woodwork to ruin that little corner of Utopia.

cvalue13, chanbar, blubarb and 11 others like this.
  4. Davidt Jul 6, 2018

It's been going this way for a good year or so.

The constant;

"should I buy this *insert eBay link to shitty redialled Geneve*".
    "Which strap goes best with this Speedmaster"
    "Is rolex better than omega"
    "Has anyone else noticed how wearing a Speedmaster Grail makes you more attractive to the opposit sex".

5. Screwbacks Jul 6, 2018

oh how stupid me. dint know that, maybe for being a lazy reader. im not a member of any watchforums except OF.

lando and Mad Dog like this.
  6. Deafboy His Holiness Puer Surdus Jul 6, 2018

Enquiring minds want to know: please elaborate on these parallels...

7. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Jul 6, 2018

-TRF- random mod temper tantrums
    -WUS- best place to ask what watch to wear in a zombie apocalypse if you can ever find your thread again inside the 100's of sub forums..
    -OF- still a decent enthusiast site.

Edited Jul 6, 2018
  8. sevenhelmet Jul 6, 2018

That's not lazy, it's smart. A lot of us made the mistake of going to Watchuseek (WUS) first, and came here later asking for asylum from the insanity.

Truth.

I sure hope we aren't going down that road at OF. I don't see as many signs of it here, other than a strange infatuation with Ebay, and a suspiciously high number of "I just inherited this watch, tell me about it" threads. Informative posts by @Archer , the watch sales section, and even watch facts posted by the squirrel himself more than make up for the weird idiosyncrasies, and make this a much more valuable place to be than WUS.

...plus where else could I find so many threads about the Speedmaster in one place? ;)

Molko, lando, Tophership and 8 others like this.
  9. Davidt Jul 6, 2018

The floodgates are open now!

What the fuck is it with people saying "which watch should I buy", "which strap/bracelet should I put on this watch"?!

Buy/wear the one you like the bloody most you moron!!!

If you like both buy both. Or buy one and save up for the other.

Who in their right mind needs to ask a bunch of strangers on the internet what to buy or wear???

10. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2018

I love you man! :thumbsup:

.... and I mean that in a brotherly fashion.

lando, Seaborg, Mad Dog and 5 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Jul 6, 2018

When we have threads like this

https://omegaforums.net/threads/sei...is-it-too-good-to-be-true.78773/#post-1003711

There was a watch a compass and a motorbike in the description
    From a no feedback English lady that used to sell dresses two years ago.

With members with hundreds of posts buying :whistling:

Members buying a easy pick scam and relying on PayPal and eBay to keep them safe . ::facepalm2::

------------------------------ ----------------------------------------- ------------------------

Give me a uncle watch like the old days over most of the stuff lately.

12. sevenhelmet Jul 6, 2018

Damn. I may have been guilty of one or two of those over time. I beg the forgiveness of my fellow OF members- I didn't know better.

13. kov Trüffelschwein. Jul 6, 2018

Fully agree with that.

Question : would those treads disappear if we simply ignored them and such questions got no single reply? Atm, replies keep coming.

gdupree, lando, morningtundra and 4 others like this.
  14. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2018

Too late - we already are a few miles down that highway. This place was Nirvana for years, starting right after the first migration of good members (invited by some savvy squirrel) sometime in 2012 up to that same squirrel's temporary banning for continually calling out the ever-growing influx of putzes. That was around the time you joined, actually.

Guys and gals, I'm really trying to ignore it, but the signal to noise meter is leaning WAY towards the noise side again. I don't know if I'll be able to keep myself in check much longer. I really don't want to be banned again under the guise of "taking a break", but I fear it's inevitable.

Mad Dog, aap and mr_yossarian like this.
  15. zinengineer Jul 6, 2018

I'm relatively new to the "watch world", found this site and stopped looking.

I've been through various fourms (fora?) over the years, some constants and common themes; seems as though the watch world has it's own variations of "themes". Yes, i appreciate the very informative posts, and ignore the rest

a. Trombone forums (I have at times dabbled in that hobby) - which mouthpiece does "X" play, what type of case works best, etc, etc, etc....it goes on and on
    b. Cars (only looked at BMW fora) - which tires are best, which wax/treatment/spit whatever works best, why does my car do "X"....and on and on

16. sevenhelmet Jul 6, 2018

Ouch. Point taken. In my defense, I have learned a lot here.

kkt, larryganz, Nobel Prize and 2 others like this.
  17. blufinz52 Hears dead people, not watch rotors. Jul 6, 2018

18. ulackfocus Jul 6, 2018

I wasn't making any inferences about you. Just pointing out that you joined while I was on my "sanctioned hiatus".

19. Taddyangle Convicted Invicta Wearer Jul 6, 2018

It has been some time since we have had a "my uncle gave me this watch" post.

Guilty (at times)

It is a balance, some of these types of threads work out okay here, but a majority do not and all of a sudden a thread like this pops up to try and tone it down. I left WUS specifically because I did not have the patience to sort though all BS threads that Dennis is talking about in his original post.

I mod a group facebook page and I don't like the idea of deleting posts, but certainly one can change the tone with deleting a few threads/posts.

blufinz52 likes this.
  20. micampe Jul 6, 2018

David, can I bring you a hot beverage? Some herbal tea maybe?

(and because I’m not good at conveying nuance on the internet: I’m empathizing)

I’m glad I joined a couple of years before the rift, so I don’t take too much of the blame for ruining the neighborhood, but it’s an unfortunate effect of being popular, and being popular is a side effect of being good. I actually think this forum and its mods have done quite a good job at self-preservation, but at some point the numbers just get hrs to manage.

I do still enjoy the expertise and knowledge (and banter) shared here, and I try to ignore the noise and the Speedmasters.

merchandiser, UncleBuck and Davidt like this.