Forums Latest Members
  1. Pilot85 Dec 8, 2019

A story with a happy ending...

For the past 9 months I have been in the hunt for a Speedmaster from 1985 my Birth year watch.
    Even though is not a rare Speedmaster I have to say it was not easy to find. In Chrono24 I have encountered many saying that were 1985 but with not matching bezel or different dials, bracelet etc.

Then it was the biggest problem of all, the serial number.
    In many places 48 Million serial number Speedmaster are sold as 1985 which I hardly believe is correct.

A few months ago I found a nice specimen with serial 47.133.xxx that seemed all correct, His owner @Boony was kind enough to order an Extract from Archives form Omega with the risk of not completing the sale. It ended up being a Feb 1986 watch and we did not complete any deal unfortunately. Thanks to Nick for being a true gent and I have forwarded your watch to a few people on the Omega owners group in Facebook that have enquired about your 86 Speedy, Hopefully you will get to sell it soon!!

I did not give up a continued my every morning search and one mnorning looking at the Omega owners group in Facebook, one of the members there in the group posted his 1985 Speedmaster to which I commented if it was for sale, answer was No it is not [​IMG]:(, had to try...
    But I got a reply to my comment that another fellow member @Mido87 had his for sale if I was interested.

We started a nice chat over messenger, sent me photos and was amazed his watch had all the original pieces, from the box, warranty card (no date) extra links. The whole deal... The serial number was a bit lower so I took my chance and decided to purchase it before someone else would.. I took a flight to Stockholm a few days later and spend an hour or so talking with @mido87 talking about watches and life over a coffee while we closed the deal. On my return home I ordered an Extract form the Archives and 25 days later it finally arrived [​IMG]:) February 1985.

The hunt is over and all I can say is thank you for being part of this group.

I am happy and welcome to receive any comments/feedback about the watch from the more expert eyes here in the forum.

The watch was last serviced in 2017. Hesalite crystal has been changed with another one with the applied logo in the centre cannot be seen in the photos and also the hairspring was changed. I also have those with me but not in the photos uploaded.

I did my homework with the E-Book of moonwatch only, should get the real book next week.

Case: is unpolished (to my eyes at least).

Caseback: matches with the reference to the year.

Bezel: also correct for the year.

Dial: has a nice Patina with still some glow.

Hands: were a bit of a question when I was purchasing the watch as the color of the patina seemed different but in real life the are identical and under UV light they fade 99% identical to the dial glow.

Bracelet: Good condition with almost no elongation.
    Here is probably a big question for the experts, according to the Ebook the bracelet 1171/1 with endlinks 633 is correct for an 1985 Speedmaster. The one I got is not laser engraved, but still unsure if this is a service bracelet as I have read in some threads or this is a big BS.
    I did not upload extra photos of the bracelet when I requested the extract form Omega
    Also the extract of archives from Omega says the bracelet is a 1171/633. What are your thoughts here????

Crown and Pushers: Correct for the year

Box: is a 1501 Omega with inner and outer box. Not an expert nor want to be an expert in boxes, this box seems to be more of a 70's box but reading here some articles that in that time the watch was shipped separate from the box, and the shop will put sometime a box that was in stock.

Warranty card:
    with code 1061 from the UK, no date but with the stamp of the shop from the UK in London.

Extract of Archives: Dating 1985 from UK so making me a happy person LOL

Here are some photos of my Birthyear Speedmaster. With some of the NATO straps I have got over time...(let me know which one is your favorite ;) )

P.S : Thanks to all in this forum for the knowledge and information. I don't think it would have been possible without all of you!!

IMG_7929.jpg Facebook737Speedy.JPG Face1.jpg Face2.JPG IMG_8587.JPG IMG_8588.JPG Face7.JPG Face8.JPG Face9.JPG Face6.JPG Face5.JPG face4.JPG

Screen Shot 2019-12-08 at 2.26.53 PM.png
    Edited Dec 8, 2019
    Geezer, hansaboy, iamvr and 39 others like this.
  2. OMEGuy Dec 8, 2019

Congrats! Your efforts made sense.

Wear this beauty in good health!

Pilot85 likes this.
  3. krogerfoot Dec 8, 2019

In the spirit of learning to accept that people will soon be posting birthyear watches that 1) were manufactured when I was graduating from high school; and 2) cost more than I could have afforded in my mid-thirties by roughly a power of ten, I offer my heartfelt congratulations

kcsf, Rudi99, Dedalus05 and 7 others like this.
  4. joe band Dec 8, 2019

congrats! i really like the cockpit pic, cool to see it in it's element.

goggs and Pilot85 like this.
  5. ndgal Dec 8, 2019

Congrats! Always wait for the right piece. Patience pays off in the end.

Pilot85 likes this.
  6. Badwolf Dec 8, 2019

Great catch! Looks the business

Pilot85 likes this.
  7. lindo Dec 8, 2019

This story is a good example of what this Forum is about - sharing information that enables knowledgeable purchases, and then sharing images that we can all appreciate. This case reminds me that it is always worth refusing to cut corners when buying something just because it is there, rather than holding out for the best possible example with all the papers, original finish, etc. Thanks for sharing.

Speedmasterfan88 and Pilot85 like this.
  8. thelinendial Dec 8, 2019

Congrats! All that work makes the watch that much more special!

Pilot85 likes this.
  9. Go Spurs Go Dec 8, 2019

Congrats mate I’m on the hunt for a birth year (1978) watch myself so this post is great motivation!

Pilot85 likes this.
  10. kov Trüffelschwein. Dec 9, 2019

Congrats for your patience that paid out :thumbsup:

Damn, that watch is two weeks younger than me ::love::

DJG2645, Pilot85 and CJpickup57 like this.
  11. Martin_F Dec 9, 2019

Congratulations! Glad to see it's finally worked out for you.
    Not a big fan of NATOs, but I think the darker brown complements it better.

Pilot85 likes this.
  12. CJpickup57 Dec 9, 2019

Glad you finally found it! Looks fantastic and comes with full kit to boot! Good find.

Pilot85 likes this.
  13. m84 Dec 9, 2019

Cool story and great looking watch. Thanks for sharing! :)

Pilot85 likes this.
  14. Cuttysark Dec 9, 2019

Congrats! it's a beautiful piece :)

15. Eve Dec 9, 2019

Waw its a nice watch you've got there! Congrats! Now i am a bit envy :cautious: :)

Pilot85 likes this.
  16. Linzer Dec 9, 2019

Congrats! I love the idea of literally (as your username and the pictures suggest) taking a flight to collect a birth year watch. :thumbsup:

Pilot85 likes this.
  17. mblease Dec 9, 2019

I love reading posts like this. Sometimes I think I’ll give up hunting for a birth year 1981 Speedy and then I see a post that spurs me on! Who knows what’s around the corner.

Really nice set, enjoy it dude.

Pilot85 likes this.
  18. mblease Dec 9, 2019

I was going to say that ‘I love a happy ending’ but I thought better than to open this thread up to the OF smut pushers ;)

Pilot85 likes this.
  19. Capt Cave Man Dec 9, 2019

Congrats on finding your watch, I'm just starting on my journey and currently saving for my birth year Speedmaster, the aim is to find a nice but wearable 1973 145.022-71 ST and then for my 50th buy a brand spanking new one.

Pilot85 likes this.
  20. Pilot85 Dec 28, 2019

I think I forgot to add this important piece, even though small I think it adds a lot of collectable value to my kit.

IMG_9460.jpg IMG_9461.jpg
    iamvr, red crowned, larryganz and 2 others like this.