Forums Latest Members

Finally, a self-driving car that I can applaud...

1. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 28, 2019

I am generally skeptical of the optimistic timelines given to commercial adoption of self-driving cars (and trucks), and especially within cities. Having said that, though, this is impressive!

2. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 28, 2019

That's "cuttin' it pretty fine". No driver could have done that for sure.

Still skeptical of the technology, but I'm a confirmed Luddite.

kkt likes this.
  3. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Dec 28, 2019

Hmm deloreans are notoriously underpowered. I wonder what engine is in there. Also I know at least 3 drivers off of the top of my head that could do it.

still impressive.

4. GTveloce Dec 28, 2019

Haha was thinking exactly the same thing on both counts! :) But to drift like that I suppose it needn't be very powerful with the right combination of low-grip tires... drifting can be impressive but it is done (relatively) slowly.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. Pahawi Dec 28, 2019

Thanks from one of the three.

Edited Dec 28, 2019
    cicindela, JimJupiter and Foo2rama like this.
  6. Canuck Dec 28, 2019

Did I read recently that there have been three major accidents with Teslas in full autonomous mode. One driving into a fire truck! Has happened more than once, it seems. Heaven forbid these things are turned loose on the roads before I stop driving!

https://www.wired.com/story/tesla-autopilot-why-crash-radar/

7. MCC Dec 28, 2019

Because humans never do that ?? :)

Motik, Archer, shishy and 2 others like this.
  8. Canuck Dec 28, 2019

If you are gung ho for autonomous automobiles, I wish you the best of luck. May the insurance company that insures the autonomous car that hits you, not find a way to weasel out of responsibility.

9. MCC Dec 28, 2019

What about the uninsured driver that runs into me? Drunk and texting his /her friends how fast they are driving. They worry me much more.

Archer likes this.
  10. larryganz The cable guy Dec 28, 2019

From the tire marks you could see that they ran the same course a few times, and the car would hit its mark consistently, more consistently than a person.

I do wonder if they programed the run into the car first, and then put up the cones to outline the course and show that it would not stray. Still impressive, as power and grip changes with the weather, tire temp, engine temp and heat soak, etc...

Larry S and noelekal like this.
  11. Evitzee Dec 28, 2019

Impressive......but once cars become fully autonomous they will be unaffordable to own, which is part of the plan. These elites pushing all of this want people out of personal vehicles and on to bicycles, walking, choo choo trains, busses, etc. They want people jammed into high rise, dense environments as they have convinced themselves this is more efficient. I'll pass on these 'improvements' which are decades into the future, if ever.

cicindela and Spacefruit like this.
  12. Spacefruit Prolific Speedmaster Hoarder Dec 28, 2019

Bet you still use a mobile phone....

This is what my kids say to me everytime I go all David Ike on them, telling them they are becoming zombies controlled by the state.

shishy and noelekal like this.
  13. Dsloan Dec 28, 2019

There are many reasonable concerns to be had. On the other hand, if we get autonomous vehicles right, we stand to save 30,000+ lives a year in the US, and we'll greatly improve efficiency of our travel.

14. noelekal Home For Wayward Watches Dec 28, 2019

We only ditched our land line in October. Until then one of the house phones was my grandmother's 1952 Western Electric 500 with its rotary dial. Worked perfectly until the day service was disconnected. It delivered more sound clarity and was more impervious to lightening strikes than the cordless units.

Will we truly save 30,000 lives or will we merely revamp the manner in which we die on the nation's roads when transit becomes automated with the inevitable glitches, break-downs, maintenance issues, and obsolescence?

I'm not interested in the development of autonomous vehicles for I enjoy driving too much to endure the "efficiency" of being denied the ability of "doing it myself."

Technology has advanced to the point of nannying the human race and we've all rolled over and meekly accepted it. I don't like being nanny-ed, by smart: appliances, electronics, watches, houses, vehicles, bank accounts, friends and relatives, marketers, or government politicians and bureaucrats. Seemingly not a popular viewpoint to hold, but I'm an old fogy.

Edited Dec 28, 2019
  15. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 28, 2019

I'd say that you are understating the achievement. Here are details (including the build of the DeLorean):

https://news.stanford.edu/2019/12/20/autonomous-delorean-drives-sideways-move-forward/

and an excerpt:

DaveK and larryganz like this.
  16. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Dec 28, 2019

The challenge was not to surprise the car and force it make spontaneous, autonomous decisions, but to master a technique that requires a type of human "feel". To argue that, well, it could have been more impressive, misses the point of the exercise.

And as mentioned in article, this is potentially an important step toward integrating the ability to drift into accident avoidance:

Motik and Foo2rama like this.
  17. vicsdca Dec 28, 2019

Good point. I stand corrected.

Motik and Tony C. like this.
  18. GarethS Dec 28, 2019

Getting a car to drift elegantly around a pre determined course is of course a remarkable achievement but nothing compared to autonomously piloting a vehicle amongst a mix of other non auto piloted vehicles.

autonomous vehicles will not with us any time soon apart from golf courses, retirement communities or other fleet managed amenities.

19. rob#1 Dec 28, 2019

Very cool, but can it deliver me the correct pizza?

larryganz and noelekal like this.
  20. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Dec 28, 2019

Cars? How about this robot stuff.

noelekal and larryganz like this.