Forums Latest Members
  1. Toishome Nov 22, 2022

I hope there isn't an existing open thread about the world cup. I tried hard to find one and nothing.
    Hard to believe we don't have a thread so I figured I would start one.
    I was very underwhelmed by the opening ceremony. I expected a lot more considering how much money the host country spent on this World cup.
    I have been enjoying all the games so far. It's amazing to see how much better this game has gotten as time progressed both on the technical and physical aspects.

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 22, 2022

Seems a lot less flopping around like fish in the games I have watched…recovering from a knee operation so have watched a few…

Argentina fans would be unhappy after last night :whistling:

Dogart1983 likes this.
  3. pdxleaf ... Nov 22, 2022

Mexico- Poland was a good watch. Seemed pretty evenly matched, with good movement up and down by both sides. Poland seemed to have a stronger defense towards the end.

USA -Wales was exciting for an American. USA held up. Penalty goals are a bit of a let down.

Ties aren't too satisfying.

Hope to catch more. Not sure I like World cup enough to get a knee operation so I can stay home and watch, but a fan is a fan. ;)

STANDY likes this.
  4. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Nov 23, 2022

It's just short of 1:00 am here, and I just finished watching three of the matches from earlier today. Saudi Arabia/ Argentina was far more entertaining than I thought it was going to be. Poland/ Mexico was a bit of a sleeper. Australia/ France was pretty entertaining; I wish Australia had been able to score another goal, though. Italy is not there so my heart isn't really into it this year. I was happy to see how well the US played yesterday, but they lost all momentum at half time. The US teams always seem to have trouble maintaining a high level of play for 90 minutes.

5. Toishome Nov 23, 2022

Canada played a wonderful game today all considered. I can't believe they had Belgium, the second-rank team in the world under so much pressure the entire game.
    I am sure we will be taken a little more seriously after the game today. I am very proud of our team. Only good things can come for the Canadian team going forward.

6. teome Nov 23, 2022

Group C has been most surprising to me so far. And ESP and CRC fun to watch. Let's see how the country that does our favorite watches fares in their group :D some tough opponents there.

7. mcemeren Nov 25, 2022

Any members owning soccer timers to decorate the post?

YYTIN likes this.
  8. JNwatchboutique Nov 25, 2022

Saw the Brazil v. Saudi today. My entire family is Brazilian so it was fun to watch. 2 zip is a pretty good start for us. Who do we got our money on winning this time around?

9. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Nov 25, 2022

I’m not sure how the timings work in Qatar. There always seems to be an inordinate amount of extra time added on to each half.

Probably inflated because they’re using Rolex

Here’s @UncleBuck's nice example from 2016 (and hoping he doesn’t mind)

upload_2022-11-25_7-50-42.jpeg

mcemeren, UncleBuck and YYTIN like this.
  10. cristos71 Nov 25, 2022

Does anybody have one of these? The ST11003, it was on my hit list for years but I never managed to find one that was both affordable and in good shape.

omega-vintage-other-st-11003-2-l.jpg

COYG, FREDMAYCOIN, Socks and 3 others like this.
  11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Nov 25, 2022

Wales in a world of hurt….:whistling:

Turpinr, Socks and UncleBuck like this.
  12. rob#1 Nov 25, 2022

Yep, those last two minutes were killer blows. Worse thing was when the camera panned to the Welsh kid crying with his head in his hands :oops:

Turpinr likes this.
  13. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Nov 25, 2022

At least there was absolutely no doubt about the call and what a rocket for the penalty shot.

Iran stabbed Wales right in the heart.

I'll wear my 'timer for England vs USA in a few hours. Can't seem to find my vuvuzele.

DSCN0145.JPG

14. lillatroll Nov 25, 2022

The extra time is because they have an official timing stoppages, interruptions and time wasting. They add the approximate time on to each half. A good rule especially in relation to timewasting and floppy fallers who like to roll around as soon as an eyebrow is out of place.

15. Spruce Sunburst dial fan Nov 25, 2022

Thanks,
    I didn’t know that.
    Here in the UK and in the absence of stoppages for serious injury, it’s generally around 3-6 minutes.
    Maybe they’ve changed it all without telling me!!! ::confused2::

Turpinr and Charlemagne1333 like this.
  16. lillatroll Nov 25, 2022

It's something they are trying out for the world cup. I read about it in the Guardian the other day ( I think it was the Guardian, could have been on Match of the day)

Spruce likes this.
  17. Toishome Nov 25, 2022

You mean Serbia. Both start with S so will let it slide :D

18. mcemeren Nov 26, 2022

He did this even without making an eye contact.
    Screen Shot 2022-11-26 at 10.08.47.png

19. Socks Nov 26, 2022

England reverting to type last night. I don’t think we can cope with teams playing us at a higher pace. Why Foden is being overlooked I don’t know.

Turpinr likes this.
  20. pdxleaf ... Nov 26, 2022

Not trying to be a spoiler if you haven't watched Argentina vs Mexico.

There were a couple of sweet goals in that game.