Forums Latest Members

Favre Leuba Deep Blue Mark 1 questions

1. tmw57 Aug 30, 2022

These are among my favorite divers and I've owned a few. But would like to know more about the different iterations of the Mark 1. I have one with an incorrect crown and am trying to find out what crown version it started it's life with. I'd love someone with expertise with this model to weigh in here.

My understanding is that:

1. The earliest iteration has a metal count-up bezel, radium dial and non-screw down unsigned crown. I have one like this with serial number 237.

2. Later versions have plastic count-down bezel, tritium dial, screw down signed crown.

I don't know if there are transitional models that have, for example, count-down bezels with radium dials or any other variations of the above. But it makes sense as I've seen a bunch that have radium dials and plastic bezels as well as non-screw down crowns.

I have another early version that has plastic count-down bezel, radium dial and incorrect crown. And I am unsure whether it was originally fitted with a screw-down or non-screw-down crown. This one has serial 1930. I'm trying to figure out which crown version it started out with.

To add more confusion to this mix..I have a third one with serial number 242. This one has plastic count-down bezel, radium dial and non-screw down crown.

What is confusing here is my two earliest versions, serial 237 and 242 each came with different bezels. Metal on 237 and plastic on 242. And there is no way that either of them were replaced as the cases are different and cannot accept different bezels. In effect, case 237 can only accept the metal bezel but will not fit the plastic bezel. The same goes for 242 which will accept a plastic bezel but not the earlier, metal version. Beneath the inserts they have different ratchet mechanisms and literally differerent mid-case construction to accept either plastic or metal variety. Yet they are so close in serial number...

Serial 1930 (note incorrect case tube with small plate at base of midcase which allows incorrrect crown to be used without touching bezel. Question is did it start life with a screw-down or non-screw-down crown? I'd like to make it right someday.

DSC_1155.JPG DSC_1156.JPG DSC_1171.JPG FL 3.jpg FL 4.jpg

Edited Sep 7, 2022
    bardamu, Adri, Tony C. and 2 others like this.
  2. tmw57 Aug 31, 2022

OK, I admit that the above post is a bit convoluted and long winded so I'll abbreviate it..

Is there any way to know, based on serial number, what the original configuration from the factory was?

Did my Mark 1 with serial number 1930 come with a non-screw or screw-down crown?

3. Zuke Sep 7, 2022

I believe that my Deep Blue is a Mk1. It has the count up bezel and an Mk1 dial (with some radium burn). The crown is not a screw down. Hope this helps

FLDeepBlue1.jpg

Adri, 0uss, tmw57 and 1 other person like this.
  4. Zuke Sep 7, 2022

This may also help
    Pub.jpg

Waltesefalcon and tmw57 like this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 7, 2022

The early ones were definitely with non-screw-down crowns.

FLDB1i.jpg

Waltesefalcon, Adri, 0uss and 2 others like this.
  6. tmw57 Sep 7, 2022

Most of us can agree upon that. With the exception of the Favre Leuba employee who stated:

"Thank you for your enquiry concerning one of our most iconic timepieces.

The Deep Blue 59603 was invented in 1964 and was modified during its lifecycle several times.

Unfortunately, the few original documents we have do not mention key data when which modifications were introduced. Interestingly, the screw-down crown is not mentioned at all, although almost all the watches we have received for repair so far have a screw-down crown.

On the earliest pictures we have from the Deep Blue the crown seems to be not screwed, it is bigger in diameter, but flatter than the one used on all the watches I saw physically. But, as it is with our brand, we can’t absolutely be sure if this configuration was ever produced or if it was just an early product shot before the watch was homologated and sold as 200 m Waterproof.

I can imagine (and personally I’m quite sure), that they were not happy with a non-screwed crown for such an important Divers watch and they invented the screwed crown before the watch was sent to the markets. But as I said. No proof of that.

I’m sorry that I can not give you a precise answer."

Anyway, J, can you do me a favor and tell me the serial number on yours?

7. Dan S Sep 7, 2022

That's a nice response you received, even if not so helpful.

tmw57 likes this.
  8. tmw57 Sep 7, 2022

Agreed. In fact I thanked him for taking the time..

9. Zuke Sep 8, 2022

@tmw57 the only number on the case back is 59603 and it looks like the movement is FL 1152

20200104_121156.jpg 20200104_123707.jpg

tmw57 and 0uss like this.
  10. tmw57 Sep 8, 2022

Hi J,

Thanks for the pics. And yes, the movement is indeed a cal. 1152. It sometimes takes patience to find the serial number. Unless yours has been worn off, some careful looking with a loupe may reveal it. Here is where they are on a few other Deep Blues..I had a hell of a time finding the serial in the last picture, #242.

Cheers,
    Todd

Deep Blue serial 1.jpg Deep Blue serial 2.jpg Deep Blue serial 3.jpg

11. Zuke Sep 8, 2022

@tmw57 Okay I took a close look and the serial on the case back is 160

12. tmw57 Sep 8, 2022

Great, thanks J.

I was told by a watchmaker that the plastic bezels and the metal bezels fit differently and the watch cases differ to accomodate these differences. So, for example, a plastic bezel will not fit a watch that had a metal bezel and vice versa.

I may start a database so that I can plug in serial numbers and that watch's features. So a serial number will be recorded next to it's type of crown (non-screw or screw), bezel (metal or plastic insert) and dial (radium or tritium). I'll probably post a new thread asking members to send their watch info to me.

Would love to know more about these very cool watches...

Edited Sep 8, 2022
  13. Zuke Sep 8, 2022

No problem. Glad I could contribute

tmw57 likes this.
  14. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Sep 10, 2022

Hi Todd

I have also researched a few information about the Deep Blue Ref 59603 over the time.
    Here what I found

Mark 1

Bezel: Steel count-up
    Dial: Radium long applied markers at 3/6/9/12
    Crown: non-screw down unsigned
    1 Caseback: Only with "Super-Waterproof Swiss Made"
    2 Caseback: "Super-Waterproof Swiss Made Deep Blue and Ref 59603"
    Serial-No.: Not on the same level as the Reference No. and as I have seen 3 digits long
    Movement: FL 1152
    Bracelet: 5 row FL signed

Catalog around 1964
    1.jpg

FL Paper from 1964
    Z 1964.jpg

Caseback 1
    Caseback.jpg

Caseback 2
    Caseback 2.jpg

Serial-No.
    Ref..png

Mark 2

Bezel: Bakelite count-down
    Dial: Tritium short applied markers at 3/6/9/12
    Crown: screwed down signed with FL logo
    Serial-No.: Same level as the Reference No. and as I have seen 3-4 digits long with letter "B"
    Bracelet: 5 row FL signed & "shark"

Catalog around 1970
    2.jpg

Caseback with Ref., serial and letter "B"
    Ref.jpg

Shark bracelet
    Bracelet.jpg

Transitional

Bezel: Bakelite count-down
    Dial: Tritium & radium with long and short applied markers at 3/6/9/12
    Crown: non screw down unsigned & screw down signed with FL logo
    Serial-No.: Same level as the Reference No. and as I have seen 3-4 digits long with letter "B"
    Bracelet: 5 row FL signed

T klein.jpg T.jpg

In my opinion it's very hard to say how many mixed up between Mark 1 & 2 transitional FL Deep Blue are out there.
    As in the advert above I'm sure FL has produced them a short time and there is not only a transitional due to replaced parts at a service.

Glad to see others are also interested in FL watches.

Cheers,
    A

15. tmw57 Sep 10, 2022

Amazing post.

Easily the best info I've seen on these. Thanks so much for this detailed analysis!

Adri likes this.
  16. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Sep 10, 2022

:thumbsup:

The remaining old lady in my collection

db1.jpg
    (with screw down crown because a wrong crown was mounted)

17. tmw57 Sep 10, 2022

Adri,

Looking at the case backs of my 3 examples (one is a parts watch)

1. serial #237 fits exact description of Mark I w/ case back 2

2. serial #242 "B" fits description of transitional. Radium dial, non-screw down crown, bakelite insert, serial number same level as reference number and with "B"

3. serial #1930 fits description of transitional and is the same format as above #242 with the exception of no letter "B" found. engraving has good depth so don't think it's been polished out.

So the only discrepancy between your description and my 3 examples is the absence of the "B" in a transitional model.

Which may be totally meaningless as we have no idea of the lives these watches may have led, and how many parts substitutions were made over the years.

Cheers,
    Todd

Edited Sep 10, 2022
    Adri likes this.
  18. tmw57 Sep 10, 2022

Lovely example. Are you saying it did not start it's life as a screw-down crown?

19. Adri Wonders why he can't edit this message Sep 13, 2022

No, definitely not it was a non-screw down unsigned crown.
    I gave the order to replace the tube and fit a screw down crown.

My watchmaker has a Geiger counter and I can tell you the dial and hands are still very hot.
    As I don't wear this watch on a daily base I'm not so concerned about the radium more about the radon. So due to the aspect I haven't an original crown I decided to fit a FL screw down crown.

Maybe @Tony C. & @Zuke can share their dimensions of the non-screw down unsigned crown because I think they original and I haven't these in my documentation.

Best,
    A

20. tmw57 Sep 13, 2022

Hi A,

Thanks for the info. I have an original non-screw down and I can remove it within the next day to give photo's and measurements. Need to remove it to get an accurate depth reading. I have a Geiger and can give some measurements later today.

Did your watchmaker place the FL tube and crown that is correct for your model of Deep Blue? Was it nos? Or from a different Favre Leuba model?

Cheers,
    Todd

Edited Sep 13, 2022