Forums Latest Members
  1. TempusFugit73 Oct 27, 2019

Good evening folks. So, I found a quartz Constellation at a potentially terrific price except for one technical issue. The issue is when you try to set the time, only the hour hand moves. The minutes hand refuses to budge. My question is, is this a common issue with older Omega quartz movements? I'm a fairly competent watchmaker and I'm not intimidated by much, So if this is a relatively simple fix, I'm more than capable. The pawn shop is asking $129 for it. BTW...I suspect this may be a redial. and the lint is totally external, not inside the case. Very grateful for any opinions and advice. Thank you.

20191027_143011.jpg
    Edited Oct 27, 2019
  2. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 27, 2019

Not worth buying even if it worked correctly.

TempusFugit73 likes this.
  3. Canuck Oct 27, 2019

That looks to me like a pre-Swatch model for which there will probably be no parts. That is, out of an expensive trip to Switzerland. Don’t buy someone else’s problem.

4. TempusFugit73 Oct 27, 2019

I sense much displeasure with the older quartz models. I have a feeling Omega cut more than a few corners with these.

5. Canuck Oct 27, 2019

Consider if you will that this watch is likely at least 30 years old. Compared to many quartz watches of the era, it was a very good movement. The rapid pace of evolution in quartz technology means that quartz watches have become obsolete more rapidly than mechanicals. You don’t repair a circuit in one of these, which means you replace it! And when there are no more————! When Swatch bought Omega, there was a huge and immediate change in the movements behind a Omega dials. When parts for the older Omegas dried up, guess what! Chances are, omega Switzerland might be able to fix it. But at what cost?

6. TempusFugit73 Oct 27, 2019

A cost that quickly becomes not worth the time and effort. Thank you for the clarity.

7. Canuck Oct 27, 2019

I just re-read your post. Does the crown have a dent or recess in it. If it does, press that button with a toothpick and release it. Does the minute hand move ahead one minute? If not, is there a good cell in it? If the minute hand moved ahead one minute when the button was pushed, then push the button again, and hold it pressed in for 5 seconds. Release it and press it again, and hold it pressed in. The minute hand may advance, rapidly. Hold the button pressed in until the minute hand is about 5 minutes slow, then release the button. Then press and release until the minute hand advances to where you want it. Let us know what you find.

Motik and TempusFugit73 like this.
  8. Willbur Oct 28, 2019

+1, I bought several Tissot quartz from the 70's as not working because people were not aware about this process.
    But I don't know if omega and tissot were sharing quartz movement at this time.

9. TempusFugit73 Oct 28, 2019

I never thought to look that closely at the crown. The battery is dead though, if that may have an effect on this as well. I will check it out later this week as I'm sure a "broken" watch isn't going anywhere fast. At least the time is correct twice a day! LOL! This knowledge, if it proves correct could be to my advantage. Can give me some negotiating leverage. Knowledge is power!

Edited Oct 28, 2019
  10. Willbur Oct 28, 2019

11. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 28, 2019

Perfectly normal for most quartz calibers of this era.

Any more pics of the watch, especially the sides where a small button may reside.

janice&fred and TempusFugit73 like this.
  12. TempusFugit73 Oct 28, 2019

I honestly never thought to look at the crown so I just thought taking a pic of it wasn't necessary. As far as the case back is concerned, There is a item sales sticker stuck to it with glue all over it. It looks to be a press/snap on cover with no apparent writing or engravings. I will swing by today and see if I can get a better look at it again. My curiosity is piqued!

13. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 28, 2019

and then when you've had a good look at the exterior, you can open the case and check the movement. If a battery has leaked it could be a basket case, if not, fit a new battery and see if it ticks, then it may be worth a few dollars.

Do not buy it until you know it's not damaged and that it works.

14. TempusFugit73 Oct 28, 2019

If they want to sell it to me, They'll let me put a battery in it! Any idea what battery these take, are there several types possible? Thanks again for all the advice everyone.

15. Canuck Oct 28, 2019

Leverage? Maybe have the shop get the battery replaced to satisfy you that it runs. If it does, surreptitiously try the setting procedure I outlined. If the setting works as described, DO NOT let the shop know! Make them an offer that suits you based on the “broken setting”, pay for it, take it home and enjoy it. Knowledge is power, to quote you.

mikekchc and TempusFugit73 like this.
  16. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Oct 28, 2019

The guy at the car yard has a Ford for sale at a terrific price, but it needs a battery.

Any idea what battery a Ford uses?

Sorry to seem flippant, but your comment "if this is a relatively simple fix, I'm more than capable" seems at odds with the questions you are asking.

17. TempusFugit73 Oct 28, 2019

That is EXACTLY what I was thinking! For this price, they couldn't have paid a lot for it to begin with, they won't be out much!

18. Canuck Oct 28, 2019

As @JimInOz has mentioned, some Omegas of the era had the “push button” in the middle of the crown. Other Omegas had a separate button on the crown side of the case that works the same way. Omega only built their watches for a short time. There was such a groundswell of displeasure from retailers, technicians, and the public, that they changed the design to a more conventional setting method.

19. TempusFugit73 Oct 28, 2019

Not to be flippant, but watch batteries and car batteries are very different, at least in terms of scale. If you buy a top post car battery and your "ford" takes a side post battery, it won't work! Same thing with cranking amps..... but I digress. I want to purchase a battery before I attempt to test it and I want it to be the correct one. I don't want to run all over town hunting down a battery. This pawn shop is not in my home area so I'm unfamiliar with any local battery suppliers. I suppose I could just google it.

20. Canuck Oct 28, 2019

HAVE THEM FIT THE CELL! If you bugger it up, you’ve likely bought an obsolete, dead watch. If THEY bugger it up, it’s their problem! If you even take the back off, if there is damage inside that they don’t know about, they could well accuse you! Be SMART about this, or our efforts to help you are wasted!

ICONO likes this.