Forums Latest Members

Fake Warning - Seamaster 300 With Coaxial 8400 Style Movement Cover

1. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2015

Baz9614 likes this.
  2. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Aug 10, 2015

@dsio, maybe worth its own post? Make sure PO owners/hunters see the message?

3. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 10, 2015

Yea I was thinking about that but I wanted to keep the discussion here tied in, I might edit the original post and thread title to reflect the update

oddboy likes this.
  4. BadAndy Aug 13, 2015

Comparing my Master 300 to the one at the start of this thread, the bracelet is a dead give away. Also the lug not being stamped stainless steel, my S/N is 180° from this one (although that was discussed above). The movement looks really good, I can't see much different, but I am just a new guy. Will movements be mounted differently in each watch? I wouldn't think so, and this one is about 20 degrees off from mine, but the jewels and writing seam to match. The "waves" engraving on the rotor seams to be straight, and not with a slight turn though..

This fake looks to have a brushed crown, where my crown is polished. The "notches" to unscrew the back have more rounding in the corners, where mine are much sharper. Also the writing or printing on the case back looks thicker, but that could just be the lighting. Had I not had a real one to compare to, I might have been fooled by this one. I am glad I always buy watches through A/D.

5. TMas Aug 13, 2015

What is wrong with this one? (i.e. Why do you think it's a fake?). It doesn't look as "quality" (duller looking crystal and bezel) as the ones I've seen from a boutique, but as a novice, I can't see the other obvious differences.

6. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

Pull up pics of a real one and start comparing, begin with the movement then move on to the dial, bezel and so on. First hint is the balance wheel, compare that to a real one, there's nothing right in it.

7. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 13, 2015

Sadly it looks from the eBay link like a best offer was accepted on it :(

8. Speedy1 Aug 13, 2015

There goes someone's 3300 bucks, down the drain. EBay could care less, as long as they get their cut

9. TMas Aug 13, 2015

Thank god it wasn't my novice rear's 3300 beans. That's a scary thing this fake PO.

10. yinzerniner Aug 13, 2015

Just an FYI the "winning" offer was for way less than $3300, but I hope the buyer gets their money back once they realize that the piece is a complete phony.

drhex likes this.
  11. wsfarrell Aug 13, 2015

Not sure if a lot of people outside the forums would know a fake, especially one that good. One the best things this forum does IMO is to get these fakes taken down before they sell.

12. redpcar Aug 13, 2015

If the buyers looked at the feedback of this seller, they would have found that this watch has already been returned as a fake and negative feedback left. Seller was bold enough to relist it exactly.......and apparently got away with it for now.

13. wsfarrell Aug 13, 2015

Wow.

14. Paddington Aug 30, 2015

Short summary on how to spot a fake Seamaster 300 Master Co-Axial (did my homework):

- the crown on the fake is brushed and not polished as on the gen
    - the metal between the case and the bezel is brushed on the fake and not polished as on the gen
    - the serial number on the lug is upside down compared to the gen
    - the serial number on the case appears not to be consecutively numbered (it's always the same number) - 88510199
    - the serial number on the movement appears not to be consecutively numbered (it's always the same number) - 85243048
    - serial number on case and movement don't mach (contrary to the gen obviously)
    - the link next to the end link (on both sides) is engraved with the ref. number of the bracelet "STZ001145" (for the steel bracelet) on the gen, not so on the fake
    - there is no Omega engraving + again the ref. nr. of the bracelet engraved on the bottom side of the clasp-mechanism (where the little pin is) on the fake as contrary to the gen
    - there is no "stainless steal" engraving on the 7 o'clock lug on the fake compared to the gen
    - the movement in the fake is a Myota 8215 which is supposed to look like a 8400 - but of course, it doesn't. The most noticeable differenc; the Myota has its balance wheel on the 7 to 8 o'clock position compared to the balance wheel on the 8400 which is on the 6 o'clock position. The balance wheel on the 8400 is black due to its use of silicon and not "gold" as on the Myota.
    - the lume on the fake isn't correct - its all blue, including the bezel pearl. On the original the lume on the minute hand and on the pearl is greenish. (Some say that the fake-factories improved on that point, but I haven't seen a correct fake yet).
    - on the fake, the inner metal ring (the ring between the bezel and the crystal) isn't flush with the bezel - it "pops out" a bit so that there is a "gap" between the ring and bezel.

Cheers,

Paddington.

Edited Aug 30, 2015
    Djsully, MEugene, Smokcheck and 2 others like this.
  15. redpcar Aug 30, 2015

The happy ending to this story is that this seller sold it 3 times using the same pictures and got it back every time. Looks to have finally given up after 3 negatives.

16. dsio Ash @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 19, 2015

17. Sausalito Oct 20, 2015

That pic is absolutely NOT photoshopped. That is a genuine picture of a reproduction Omega. (Fake) One of the give aways is the non polished crown.

18. Paddington Oct 20, 2015

Be warned! I've just seen a Seamaster 300 Master-Co-Axial fake with an Eta movement. They also seem to have "fixed" the crown which is now polished. The underside of the clasp mechanism is now also engraved (but wrong). Color of lume seems to be fixed also.

Edited Oct 20, 2015
  19. PatrickJ Oct 20, 2015

You want to be safe buy brand new.

20. Clancy Eccles Oct 20, 2015

The lume is way too dark, and the crown should be polished!