Forums Latest Members
  1. Cip29 Jan 22, 2020

Ok..

Edited Jan 22, 2020
  2. ilayd Jan 22, 2020

You'll probably do a bit better, if you try to do some of your own research and ask the people on here to verify whether what you've found is accurate or not. This forums is not a free verification and appraisal service.

A hello and a thank you may go a long way too.

Good luck on your search for information!

3. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

yea it kinda is. most don't mind helping out a newbie. sometimes a beginner gets caught up in the excitement and their "research" lands them here.
    and a nicer approach to beginners as well. looks like we probably lost another one...

Sidnos and dennisthemenace like this.
  4. Engee Jan 22, 2020

Well, to be fair to ilayd, the original post was pretty abrupt and not very polite. That said, my guess English is not Cip29s first language and it does take a while for newbies to settle in to the culture of this forum.

As for losing a member, I hope if they are genuinely interested this wouldn't put them off, but given the fact that they joined on Monday and their only post was to ask if a watch was original or fake, and if original, what it was worth, my guess is that they are not a potential collector. Of course I'd be happy to be corrected.

KingCrouchy, Wryfox and BlackTalon like this.
  5. ilayd Jan 22, 2020

No its not... first and foremost it's a forum do discuss watches (which does include originality and value). Yes, many are willing to help a newbie out as well. But I am fairly certain that most long term member are not here for the kicks of appraising watches for random people. And if their research has led them here, posting up some information about what they found so far would make it night and day.

I dont see what wasnt nice about my response. I gave the poster two tips:

1. Do a bit of legwork, and post what you got here. If you look at posts that exist on this forum... those that add even a tiny bit of effort get tremendous responses from the members and huge interaction. Those that don't do not.

2. Courtesy goes a long way too... a simple hello and thank you will get you more responses.

6. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

well until that becomes a hard and fast rule and the definition of "discuss" is operationally defined by staff, maybe playing moderator to newbies isn't really necessary. as pointed out a few times, English isn't always a first language of members and could be the focus was on getting their salient interest posted in English.

7. Shabbaz Jan 22, 2020

Thank god we have you as the new moderator of OF...

efauser and KingCrouchy like this.
  8. ilayd Jan 22, 2020

I am not playing moderator to any member... again, I was giving him an answer on how to get more responses from other members here that would be willing to help. English is not my first language either. But I learned in Russian that a "Hello" and "Thank you" still apply. Those words are probably the first ones and the easiest to learn of any language. And if they can get the parts about originality and value, they could have figured the other thing too.

9. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

well silly jabs won't accomplish much.

10. Shabbaz Jan 22, 2020

I thought it was funny..

11. vbrad26 Jan 22, 2020

Ladies and gentleman, welcome to the internet.
    Its great to have you all here.

EDIT: public forums in particular.

12. Shabbaz Jan 22, 2020

Haha. True!

13. ilayd Jan 22, 2020

I feel like half the posts on OF are silly jabs.

14. Shabbaz Jan 22, 2020

Mine are only very informative... :D

efauser likes this.
  15. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

if you think my opinion of being polite to newbies and erring on the side of caution rather than scolding them is not a good idea then that's fine.
    however I don't see any hard and fast rules for discussion that this newbie broke.

16. Shabbaz Jan 22, 2020

Did you know I've never liked the word newbie? I've never used it. It gots something hierarchical.

17. ilayd Jan 22, 2020

Im not sure why you keep asking what rule the "newbie" broke. Nobody at any point has said that he or she did. Nor was the member banned, or their post deleted (although it appears they have done so themselves).

18. Wryfox Jan 22, 2020

I participate in a number of groups. The #1 pet peeve across all of them that I've seen is members not attempting to do basic research before asking other members to take their valuable time.

Searching a forum archive and stickies can answer over 90% of newbie questions, easy.

BUT....I, for one, will always be willing to help those who have tried helping themselves and still cannot find the answer.

This is just a general statement. I fully recognize the op was asking a unique question.

KingCrouchy, vbrad26 and ilayd like this.
  19. Cip29 Jan 22, 2020

I just ask about that watch if is fake or not ,what i do wrong lol ...

20. janice&fred Jan 22, 2020

well if you're going to take it upon yourself to declare that his forum is not for verification or appraisal, and imply "discuss" doesn't cover those fields then the implication is there are rules being broken. if not then wouldn't it be a better idea to ignore newcomers if you don't approve of their discussion style and let others answer their questions?