Fake Omega Speedmaster

Wow, I missed the ebay listing having been taken down before I could veiw it. Man thats shocking !!.:thumbsdown:

To Trev: It's not obvious to someone who's passion is not checking to see what time it is.

To Trev and ulackfocus: Greed? Really? Is that what you call it when Omega charges you 10k for a new one? Ever heard of the American Dream? Shit man, I thought that I had just gotten lucky when I bought the thing. Considering the person who previously owned it, I never thought it could be fake. And yes, now I realize that the word Missions was misspelled. Excuse me for overlooking that when the most expensive watch I've ever owned was a Fossil.

By the way, I notice I'm the only one on here who's avatar actually shows a picture of my own face with my kids. You guys are snobs and total jerks. I asked for a little help and I get torn apart by a couple of guy who probably look and act like Niles Crane.

To Trev: It's not obvious to someone who's passion is not checking to see what time it is.

To Trev and ulackfocus: Greed? Really? Is that what you call it when Omega charges you 10k for a new one? Ever heard of the American Dream? Shit man, I thought that I had just gotten lucky when I bought the thing. Considering the person who previously owned it, I never thought it could be fake. And yes, now I realize that the word Missions was misspelled. Excuse me for overlooking that when the most expensive watch I've ever owned was a Fossil.

By the way, I notice I'm the only one on here who's avatar actually shows a picture of my own face with my kids. You guys are snobs and total jerks. I asked for a little help and I get torn apart by a couple of guy who probably look and act like Niles Crane.

Generally speaking people on internet forums don't use their face and especially not that of their children online for privacy reasons, just for what its worth consider for a moment that this is a watch enthusiast forum, there are a whole range of things people accept on here but this is a sore subject, periodically we have people coming on here posting their watches that they've paid good money for and we have the sad task of being the ones to tell them that they've been duped. We HATE doing it, its one of the worst feelings in the world having to tell someone they've wasted good money on a fake watch, so if you feel like the reaction you've gotten is harsh you have to realize its that fake watches are the scourge of this entire past-time.

For the record the majority of us are just ordinary guys, salesman, white collar workers, IT guys and the like, if we had British accents and trust funds we might not be so upset at the idea of people losing money to counterfeiting, its the fact that we are regular guys that work really hard to save up and purchase watches we love that makes it so abhorrent.

Like 1
Thank you dsio, that is a tone, manner, and explanation I can respect. Sorry for calling you Niles. One thing I really don't appreciate, is my thread being moved under the seller reviews with my username that I've been using for more than ten years, being used as the title for selling fake Omega watches.

Look what I'll do is remove that from the title and send it back to the general forum since the sale is no longer active and I'll leave it at that.

Look what I'll do is remove that from the title and send it back to the general forum since the sale is no longer active and I'll leave it at that.
Thank you.

If you used common sense you'd realize that a $60 purchase "won at an auction" as you claim (meaning there were other bidders) is not a $1400 item or it would have sold for more. You must be the most optimistic person in your state if you thought otherwise.

I'm an ex hockey player so I neither act nor look like Niles Crane. I'll accept Howie Mandell maybe - looks, voice, and weird sense of humor. I have no problem posting pictures.

DSCN0073.jpg

DSC00894-1.jpg

Actions speak louder than words and you tried to make a huge profit off a fake by attempting to list it as authentic. Where I'm from (Philly / SNJ) this would get your shirt pulled over your head followed immediately by a pummeling. Want to gain back some face you lost? Post a video of you smashing that monstrosity to bits in some interesting fashion. Fakes REALLY piss off watch enthusiasts because we will scrimp, save, and horse trade our way up to the watch we really want for years.

I'll back off now that the listing is removed.

I think one reason so many members here were so upset is that you came for advise AFTER listing the watch.

I get where you guys are coming from. I also don't have a pile of money, and going to auctions is one way that I can live a nice lifestyle with a limited budget. Given the watch's previous owner who did have a pile of money, I had no reason to believe it was a fake.

Here's the order of events:
1) I bought the watch at auction, thought, wow what a great deal! Wore it for a couple weeks, then put it away cause I decided I don't like wearing watches.
2) I pull it out of the drawer and decide to sell it.
3) I list it on ebay around noon with a scheduled start time of 6:00 pm PST.
4) I am looking at other watches on eBay and see that they all have model #'s and other details that I can't access cause I don't know how to open up the back.
5) I start doing Google image searches to find a watch with a similar face, but have no luck finding one.
6) I find 2 watch forums and post the same question. (this is where my mistake was made, I should have pulled the watch from eBay until I had a definite answer.)
7) I go home and the responses start to pour in. I check the forums from my iPhone and am inundated with FAKE responses.
8) I immediately get on my ebay app on my phone and change the start date to start a couple days later since I don't see a place to just delete it.
9) I must've been a couple minutes too late, cause when I get to my computer, I'm mobbed by Omega fans who think I intentionally posted the watch, knowing it was a fake.

And for anyone who thinks I was being greedy by making a large profit, who are you to decide how much profit I should be able to make? Had I paid $1,000 for it and sold it for $1,400, that would have been perfectly fine. Let the buyers decide what it's worth. That's why I put it up for bid, to get a fair market value. And, I know now that it's a fake, but I was basing the start price off what others had actually sold for. When I thought the watch was real, I thought I was starting it too cheap.

And for anyone who thinks I was being greedy by making a large profit, who are you to decide how much profit I should be able to make? Had I paid $1,000 for it and sold it for $1,400, that would have been perfectly fine.

No, it doesn't matter how much you paid because the watch is fake. If it was authentic and you made $1000 by letting it go to the highest bidder we'd be happy for you. That's the proper way to let the market determine it's fair value.

ps - I would imagine that Niles Crane's response to this would be to threaten a lawsuit by crying "defamation of character" because that's what a whiny little wimp like Niles would do. Know anybody like this AJ?

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I threaten a lawsuit? I merely stated I didn't want my name trashed because you would rather jump to conclusions than get your facts straight, kinda like the last post you made. You automatically assume I'm threatening a lawsuit. I said nothing like that.

Oh, I'm sorry. Did I threaten a lawsuit? I merely stated I didn't want my name trashed because you would rather jump to conclusions than get your facts straight, kinda like the last post you made. You automatically assume I'm threatening a lawsuit. I said nothing like that.

Umm, defamation of character is a legal term and you can only file it against someone with a lawsuit, so if you do the math claiming defamation of character is the threat of legal action. And frankly, unless you can't spell you should have known something was suspicious about that watch.

Dude, the more you try to make excuses the more I don't believe you. If you really didn't want your name trashed you would have gotten the correct answers before you listed that watch. After all, you claim you've owned it 2 or 3 years. Idaho doesn't have that slow of an internet connection judging by how quickly you've responded to this thread.

Have all the last words you want. My opinion isn't going to change.

This is my last post. This is getting ridiculous. Yeah, I've owned the watch for a while. Like I said before, based on who the previous owner was, I never thought there was any chance of it being fake. And yeah, I read the back of the watch, but I guess I just read right over it. It's not like I read it over and over again. I read it once and thought, hey that's cool. I didn't realize that people creating forged watches, would be so careless when it came to making them. Did the huge, high resolution pics I took from every damn angle possible, look like something a person who was trying to rip you off, would do? I didn't hide anything. The frickin' backplate was as big and as clear as I could make it. Even You (ulackfocus), kyle L, Trev, and Donut all looked at it and didn't notice the spelling errors. It took the sharp eye of dsio to point that shit out. So don't get pissed at someone who doesn't give a shit about watches if they don't notice the same thing.

For the record the majority of us are just ordinary guys, salesman, white collar workers, IT guys and the like, if we had British accents and trust funds we might not be so upset at the idea of people losing money to counterfeiting, its the fact that we are regular guys that work really hard to save up and purchase watches we love that makes it so abhorrent.
Hey whats wrong with a British accent ??... I don't have a trust fund, I'm just a hairy-arsed welder who likes watches..:p

iphone pics 208.jpg

Hey whats wrong with a British accent ??... I don't have a trust fund, I'm just a hairy-arsed welder who likes watches..:p

iphone pics 208.jpg

Hey Steve, looks like you have the right tool to fix those watches with a misspelled "Mission" on their back case! :)

Hey Steve, looks like you have the right tool to fix those watches with a misspelled "Mission" on their back case! :)
This is the right tool for the ''OUALIFIED MISSONS'' watch...

And for anyone who thinks I was being greedy by making a large profit, who are you to decide how much profit I should be able to make?

I'm no one. Just a poor, country accountant.

Had I paid $1,000 for it and sold it for $1,400, that would have been perfectly fine.

Really? Even if you were not sure if it was what you thought it was at the time you listed it? So let me understand. You put a price on something on the premise that it was real, without knowing whether that premise is correct?

Let the buyers decide what it's worth. That's why I put it up for bid, to get a fair market value.

Do you even know the definition of "fair market value"?

"The fair market value is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts." - United States v. Cartwright, 411 U. S. 546, 93 S. Ct. 1713.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_market_value

You certainly did not have a reasonable knowledge of the facts at the time you made the listing on eBay. Therefore, even if the watch had sold on eBay, there would have been no determination of fair market value.

This is why eBay now has all these consumer protection rules built in. They were getting consistently hammered in court for providing an auction venue for ethically challenged sellers to simply claim "I don't know what I'm selling".

And, I know now that it's a fake, but I was basing the start price off what others had actually sold for. When I thought the watch was real, I thought I was starting it too cheap.

This doesn't get you off the hook with me. I'm not here to be the FTC or trade police, but to attempt to sell something that you admit to knowing nothing about is at best reckless, and at worst, malicious.

Yes, late is better than never. But the question I have to ask is, Why?

gatorcpa

OK, maybe I am a liar. I just can't hold back when I feel threatened, so I'll continue to post.

gatorcpa: On the first 3 post you quoted me on, I was not referring specifically to the watch in question, it just sounded to me like people couldn't believe that even if I thought the watch was real, that I would want to make as much profit as possible. That's what I was talking about when I said if I had paid $1,000 and sold it for $1,400, I was referring to it as if it were a real Omega. I know exactly what fair market value is. In fact, the auction method is the only way to truly establish a fair market value. And yes, I did not know all the facts as I was listing it. However, before it went live, I did what I could to figure it out. When I tried to change the listing date so I could later delete it, my phone said it was a couple minutes to launch time. I tried to change it, and it appeared to have worked, but when I woke up, it had already been launched. I'm not really sure what else to say other than, I have learned alot about counterfeit Speedmasters in the last 24 hrs, and this one will not be for sale again.

I'm not really sure what else to say other than, I have learned alot about counterfeit Speedmasters in the last 24 hrs, and this one will not be for sale again.

And that's what is important here.

Everyone makes mistakes.

In Spanish, we say S-O-C-K-S (Eso si, que es), or it is what it is, and we move on.
gatorcpa