Forums Latest Members

Eterna watch from the 30s - redial ?

1. GuillerA Sep 22, 2022

Hello everybody,

I hesitate to acquire this Eterna watch which would date, according to the serial number, from the year 1932. I really like its military look and the dial seems to be in good condition for its age. However, comparing the typography of the word "Eterna" with other watch dials of the same period, I realize that it is rather unusual. For one thing, it is larger than most watches I can compare it with, and for another, it is in italics. I don't know what to make of it... could it be a redial ? How can would you know ? Should I just buy it if I like it and if the movement corresponds to the era of the watch?

Thank you so much for your help !!

Screenshot 2022-09-22 at 18.38.10.png
  2. janice&fred Sep 22, 2022

How large is it? I'm liking it but don't know about the dial. An Eterna expert will chime in I'm sure. I suppose price would be the deciding factor as most anything is appealing if the price is right :D

GuillerA likes this.
  3. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Sep 22, 2022

The chances of that dial being original are exceedingly low. Incorrect, and crude signature, with an inexplicable gap between the last two letters. Also, the luminous material does not look like any that I've seen on a watch of that age. My advice is to find something original, as there are plenty out there.

Waltesefalcon, LesXL and GuillerA like this.
  4. GuillerA Sep 22, 2022

The diameter is 33 mm without the crown and its price is 180 euros... it's not serviced but working more or less correctly (-1min/day). I should plan to have it serviced for around 200 euros with my trusted watchmaker. So the total sum would be around 380-400 euros. A bit too much for a redialed vintage watch after all :D:eek: