Forums Latest Members

El Primero 3019 Phf Setting Differences

1. Interstatetime Mar 31, 2013

Have any of the Luna/Astro experts here run into this difference in date setting between El Premiero 3019 PHF movements?

This discussion started at the bottom of a different thread and I though, since I am really interested in getting an answer I would pop it into a thread of its own. Basically I have posted pictures of two ELP 3019 PHF watches here in the last month or so. Although both more or less seem to have the same basic movement one is very early and sets differently (somewhat more primitively than the other). Here are the quotes from the other thread with my answer to Lou S' question and a scan of the instructions for my very early Luna.

Lou, the day of the week does advance with the quick setting of the date on the early version and there is no button for the day of the week. The month is advanced only manually by the button which on the newer version is the day button. On the newer version you advance the month by quickly advancing through 31 days with the crown pulled out to the 3d position.

Here (below is a scan of the detailed instructions Zenith sent to the original owner of my weird Luna dated September 14, 1970.

[​IMG]

2. Interstatetime Mar 31, 2013

See instruction # 4 Month Setting on the above scan.

JohnCote

3. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Mar 31, 2013

4. papaebetu Apr 4, 2013

John, good news for you ;)

Interstatetime likes this.
  5. Interstatetime Apr 4, 2013

Papa G...Tu sei una meraviglia!

Zenith has confirmed that my Luna is original and a custom which was ordered on April 2, 1970 and finished August 28, 1970. :) !

A happy JohnnyC

SpikiSpikester, Veritas99 and MMMD like this.
  6. LouS Mrs Nataf's Other Son Staff Member Apr 4, 2013

VERY nice. Fits nicely with your Sept 1970 letter from them. The other positive aspect here is that Zenith demonstrably has archives - now to wish for a a designated archivist...what a boon that would be to the collector community, and I think a committment to their heritage would reflect well on their current business as well.

Any chance we can get an answer to the setting variation between this and other PHFs?

7. Interstatetime Apr 9, 2013

I find it very interesting that after a couple of weeks on various expert forums there has been not even a hint of an answer to this date setting question. There have to be other 3019 PHF based watches out there which set like this. Is it possible that they were early watches and that the factory got most of them back and converted them....or converted them before they went out into the world...or never sold them?