Ed White vs Sub No Date

WOW
Wish I would have caught that before the auction.
I have been debating a 321 for sometime and at that price I would have been a buyer.
I doubt we will see many others selling for that!

One thing to contemplate: it's unlikely that a random watch nerd will want to strike up a conversation about your watch if it's a Submariner, mainly because they're worn by so many non-watch nerds. But a Speedmaster on the other hand...that's an invitation for conversation.

I had a Sub and one reason I sold it (among several) was that it kept getting noticed and asked about—always by non-watch people. “Is that a Rolex?” “Is that real?” “Can I ask what you paid for that?” Not my comfort zone at all. I love many of the Rolex lines, but it just got to the point where I never felt comfortable wearing them. I like watches—I wear what I like, for me. And with Rolex it felt like I was wearing something that—whether I intended it to be so or not—was other people’s to consume, if that makes sense. It’s too bad—a 14060M is probably the ultimate dive watch. But I don’t think I’d go there again.

Maybe the one Rolex that no one seems to notice (one of my colleagues wears one and he never gets hassled about it) is the classic 36mm Explorer I. It’s as unpretentious as a Rolex gets.

No one has ever conspicuously noticed or commented on my Omegas, even ones that are far rarer and more valuable than any Rolex I’ve owned.

I had a Sub and one reason I sold it (among several) was that it kept getting noticed and asked about—always by non-watch people. “Is that a Rolex?” “Is that real?” “Can I ask what you paid for that?”

I sometimes hear this and I'm not suggesting it hasn't been your experience but I've never received any of that reaction. I've had my GMT Master II for almost 10 yrs and I can only remember 3 or 4 times that anyone has commented on the watch. And those were by people that recognized it so they were watch aficionados to some degree.

I sometimes hear this and I'm not suggesting it hasn't been your experience but I've never received any of that reaction. I've had my GMT Master II for almost 10 yrs and I can only remember 3 or 4 times that anyone has commented on the watch. And those were by people that recognized it so they were watch aficionados to some degree.

For me it was a regular occurrence: a hostess at a sushi place, a salesperson at a local resale shop, a random guy at the mall… My wife doesn’t generally get/support the whole watch thing, and this did not help matters, as it occasionally happened when she was with me. Bear in mind, this was during peak Rolex hype-times. Maybe it’s better now: maybe it was better before. I don’t know—it could also be regional-dependent. Or because I look approachable. (It’s become a running joke in my family—if someone is going to ask one of us for directions or to take a pic for someone, etc, 100% of the time, it’s me. Ironic as I have the worst sense of direction and am terrible at taking portraits.)

I had a Sub and one reason I sold it (among several) was that it kept getting noticed and asked about—always by non-watch people. “Is that a Rolex?” “Is that real?”

I've been wearing a Sub for 9 years and no one has ever commented on it. There was the time at a doctor's appt. the doctor commented on my Milgauss. He was wearing a Sub and we talked watches for a few minutes. Other than that one time, no one has asked about a watch I was wearing.

…I’m not making this up, I promise! I can get a sworn affidavit from my wife. 😀

I suppose the salient point is that my experience is not representative of others’ experiences with the same watch. Though I’ve definitely read of other people dealing with the same/similar—or worse, of course, like people being mugged for their Rolexes. (Some of that is certainly people lacking common sense about where and when to wear their articles of conspicuous consumption. But it’s also the unparalleled recognizability of Rolexes, which I guess is part of my point.)

Anyway, sorry for the thread drift. I’m a SpeedMaster vote, is the gist of it.

Interestingly, the only time I’ve ever had a random person comment on a watch I was wearing was several years ago in an Italian restaurant. The waiter said “nice Ed White” looking at my 105.003.

I’ve never had any other comments on other Speedmasters, Subs, GMTs, Seamasters etc.

A 14060M vs an EW strikes me a genuinely tough choice. Personally I'd probably end up going for the former, safe in the knowledge that once the itch has been scratched, or if it just doesn't get under my skin... I'd be able to sell it for more and get an EW. 14060Ms in good condition will eventually become harder to find, and the prices will likely keep climbing; this is less of a consideration when it comes to the EW. Any other Submariner, however, wouldn't be in the running vs an EW. Admittedly, all this is perfectly subjective!

…I’m not making this up, I promise! I can get a sworn affidavit from my wife. 😀

You are not alone. When I used to wear a Rolex daily, the most common thing someone would say is “Is it real?”

It does get tiresome after a while...

A 14060M vs an EW strikes me a genuinely tough choice. Personally I'd probably end up going for the former, safe in the knowledge that once the itch has been scratched, or if it just doesn't get under my skin... I'd be able to sell it for more and get an EW. 14060Ms in good condition will eventually become harder to find, and the prices will likely keep climbing; this is less of a consideration when it comes to the EW. Any other Submariner, however, wouldn't be in the running vs an EW. Admittedly, all this is perfectly subjective!
Ah yes, the no date I’m looking at is the modern 124060, so I tend to agree with you

I do get more comments when wearing my Explorer than any other watch, but usually just from friends and work colleagues and along the lines of “someone’s getting paid too much”, but a few are sort of into watches so at least I can have a conversation. Tend to lose them as soon as I start mentioning movements or reference numbers though.

interestingly the best conversations are always with the Speedmaster.. “you paid 5k for a watch you have to wind up every day!!!??”…. “And it’s not even waterproof!!??”. Love it.

You are not alone. When I used to wear a Rolex daily, the most common thing someone would say is “Is it real?”

It does get tiresome after a while...

It must be because there are so many convincing at-a-glance Rolex fakes out there, especially nowadays; I don't think I've ever seen an Ed White fake, they may exist and I may have been fooled ..but the sheer quantity of fake 'superclone' Rolex's is crazy.

Patek Nautilus 'superclones' also seem to be spreading like wildfire

I had a Sub and one reason I sold it (among several) was that it kept getting noticed and asked about—always by non-watch people. “Is that a Rolex?” “Is that real?” “Can I ask what you paid for that?” Not my comfort zone at all. I love many of the Rolex lines, but it just got to the point where I never felt comfortable wearing them. I like watches—I wear what I like, for me. And with Rolex it felt like I was wearing something that—whether I intended it to be so or not—was other people’s to consume, if that makes sense. It’s too bad—a 14060M is probably the ultimate dive watch. But I don’t think I’d go there again.

Maybe the one Rolex that no one seems to notice (one of my colleagues wears one and he never gets hassled about it) is the classic 36mm Explorer I. It’s as unpretentious as a Rolex gets.

No one has ever conspicuously noticed or commented on my Omegas, even ones that are far rarer and more valuable than any Rolex I’ve owned.

The only times someone have commented my 2254, they have asked if it was a "Rolly". Twice by young wanna be gangsters and once by a man with a Citizen diver. The last one in a mocking way. I was glad so tell them all that is was an Omega, they had never heard about that brand.