Ed White vs Sub No Date

Hi folks,

I’ve posted a couple of times whilst debating my next watch move, and would benefit from some steer..

I’ve sold a few pieces and about to pull the trigger on a well priced 321 Ed White, and have had a few last minute niggles. This will be my daily driver for likely next year or so, and even though I get and fully appreciate the 321 and its history, the incredible movement. And I love the Speedmaster (had a few over the years), the rarity of the watch etc I’m wondering if at this juncture I should instead go for another grail piece in the sub no date.

Thinking is it’s not as delicate, can wear literally anywhere (vacations, around the dogs and kids!). However I’m torn as it’s far more common, don’t want to be lumped in the ‘that guy knows nothing about real watches and just has cash to spend’ camp yet I love the classic design language of the sub.

The 321 is a very different animal and I get that, assembled by hand, very unique.. but.. it’s a lot for an Omega and maybe isn’t quite as hardy.

Price between them is about 2k more for the Ed white... which isn’t massive given what you get but enough to be a consideration.Ed White at retail and Sub about 2k over (but getting a good part ex price from the guys sellling the Ed white which closed the price gap).

Anyway.. thanks in advance!

Like 1
Big decisions. Don’t rush but follow your gut instinct and do what’s right for you, and don’t worry about what others might think.

Like 2
Very tough decision. I aspire to an Ed White but don't think I'll ever be able to own one. On the other hand, I do have a no-date Sub (114060), and love it. The true Sub aficionados tend to prefer the 14060M above all, in terms of relatively recent models, for a bunch of good reasons. But the bracelet and clasp on the newer ones are incredible.

That said, the Sub is the only Rolex in my watch box, and I have a number of Omegas (although only one Speedy). Let us know what you decide!

Like 2
The 321 is more subtle than the Sub, and although it could be worn as a daily without any real issues the Rolex is a beefier unit all around and will likely take the hits of daily life better than the 321. They really play in different leagues.

Like 2
One thing to contemplate: it's unlikely that a random watch nerd will want to strike up a conversation about your watch if it's a Submariner, mainly because they're worn by so many non-watch nerds. But a Speedmaster on the other hand...that's an invitation for conversation.

Like 7
I would love to own a Sub no date but the 321 is definitely a much more special watch IMO.

Like 1
In general, I'd choose a Sub for daily wear. But never a six-digit.

Also, try not to worry so much about what other people think. In all of my years wearing collectible watches, only twice has anyone noticed my watch. And one was actually a vintage Sub.
Edited:

Like 9
Thanks for the advice all. I think the worry with the sub has always been I’m a watch nerd and proud of it, and hate the idea of people thinking I’m just another Rolex flexer. Though I get all the points that you shouldn’t care what other do or don’t think!

the 321 clearly is very special though, and I’m sure would be robust enough for daily. Heck I wore my 1861 for years with zero issues. Not sure about swimming with it even though Omega says you can.

Thanks for the advice all. I think the worry with the sub has always been I’m a watch nerd and proud of it, and hate the idea of people thinking I’m just another Rolex flexer. Though I get all the points that you shouldn’t care what other do or don’t think!

the 321 clearly is very special though, and I’m sure would be robust enough for daily. Heck I wore my 1861 for years with zero issues. Not sure about swimming with it even though Omega says you can.
Eventually you will reach the final stage, beyond worrying what people think. Then you will wear a Seiko. :D

Like 10
That's a crazy low price for an Ed White 321, even with fees that's a screaming bargain.
It was - I held it and it was like new

Like 1
Should also note the same place has a Batman (on Oyster) for same price as the sub.. not sure if that is an option.. never considered a Rolex GMT but slightly different to a sub which is nice I guess

Tough call. I don’t like the Cyclops, so my preference in Rolex dive watches is a no date Sub or a Sea Dweller. To me, those are the true Rolex tool watches. I puzzled over this a while back and ended up with a very nice 40mm Sea Dweller.

All that said, I’d probably go for the Ed White, especially at that price.

Like 2
It was - I held it and it was like new

Congrats to whoever picked that up for under 10k including fees.

Buy whatever you want to wear.... it's your wrist. Others' opinions don't matter (after high school).

Like 2
Congrats to whoever picked that up for under 10k including fees.
I don't understand, why would it go for so low?

I don't understand, why would it go for so low?
Because, while desirable, it's ultimately a pre-owned commodity watch, and bidders are mainly there for collectibles. Sort of a weird way to to sell it, TBH.

Like 1
pikamoon.gif

Like 1