ebay watch eval...

interested in this geneve dynamic. emailed the seller and he wasn't very helpful. won't open the watch to see movement, nor did he take a pic of the backside of the case. here's what he wrote in a message: "Hi and thanks. Unfortunately I can't take any pictures of the movement as it requires removing the glass. Quirk of these watches. Not been serviced by me but working well. Suspect it is a replacement glass and not original given it is over 50 years old. Please zoom over images for a closer look. Bracelet can be adjusted which I have to fit my wrist and spare links are included." price is very reasonable.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3854597566...17&osub=-1~1&crd=20230305111755&segname=11051

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Please post photos. I did not look at the link, but most sellers are not able to show the inside of a watch that has a one-piece (i.e. front-loading case), and many sellers aren't really competent to remove case-backs. That's the way it goes, especially on eBay. So you can either walk away or take your chances.

i know one is "supposed" to post photos, but the link has everything. see below:
to me, case edges look good, dial window is ok. supposed to be blue dial. seller
also suspects dial isn't original.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
Edited:

i know one is "supposed" to post photos, but the link has everything.

It does - now. It probably will in a few weeks. It certainly won’t in a year. By posting the pictures, an evaluation will remain here for others to see and learn when they search through the forum for Dynamic Genève info sometime in the future.

I own a Dynamic with this dial, and the dial appears ok from the photos, though "T Swiss Made T" is only partially visible at the bottom of the dial. My concern would be what appears to be a divot in the dial around 10:30. And also reflections, and crystal scratches that obscure some parts of the dial.

I've seen sellers re-use ad copy from another watch sale, and that could be why he says it's a blue dial. That's always a red flag to me, that the seller may not be very concerned about listing an accurate description.

I'm not sure if it's mentioned in the description, but there's a dent (or ding?) in the case between 4 and 5.

Counterfeit bracelet.

Yeah, and not a good one at that. It really takes away from the design of the watch IMO.

OP, I think this is an example of you kind of get what you pay for. It used to be easier to snag dynamics in the $300 range, but I think you’ll be hard pressed to find a really nice running one in that range now. I bought of few dynamics in the $300-350 range, but they were rough looking or nonrunners that had sat in a drawers for decades and had spectacular dials. I was fully willing to spend money fixing them up because the dials, hands, and cases looked so nice.

If one of those pops up in the $300-350 range, you have to be ready to jump on it, because others usually will and they don’t often last long. I had thought these weren’t as popular, but I was surprised to often find myself competing against dynamic collectors on eBay.

Also, keep in mind, that those gen. steel bracelets can be pricey if in good shape. I just sold one of mine on eBay and it sold for about $250 (full ask) in a week and a half.

thank you all for your insightful comments.
the old adage "you get what you pay for" certainly appears to be true here!

pls. show me what you're seeing that makes this bracelet counterfeit.

@X350 XJR Sorry for jumping in, but I had some info handy on this. Please let me know if there is something I missed or have wrong.

This is particular type of counterfeit is common on eBay and etsy. It looks and feels very different that then original. Here are a few things to look out for when looking at the original bracelets:
- The correct reference is 1153/138
- The links should be hollow and not solid (the fakes are sometimes advertised as having "solid" links)
- The links should be removable with screw pins. Some of the Series II dynamics had pins but not like the one pictured. The fakes use pins.
- look for continuity between the shape of the mounting bracket and the bracelet. The brackets have a specific shape that is different in the pictured bracelet. The bracelets are removable (by springbars) from the bracket and I've seen plenty that have been replaced with wrong bracelets or bracelets that have had the widest links removed at the point that connects to the bracket.
- the center link that connects to the bracket shouldn't have the little nubs. Those I believe are indicative of fake bracelets.

Compare these photos:

s-l1600-116.jpg

IMG_0825.jpg

thank you, master, for that elucidation. it also appears to me that the lugs on the ebay eval watch
are much more squared off than the alleged counterfeit band. do you see what i mean?

it also appears to me that the lugs on the ebay eval watch
are much more squared off than the alleged counterfeit band.

No problem. Yeah, that is what I was referring to as the "bracket" and it is usually part of the bracelet, but was available separately. I think the correct term is "bracelet ring." The shape of that bracelet ring on the eval watch is very off and I've only seen it like that on the fake bracelets.