Forums Latest Members
  1. doog Jul 23, 2017

Yup, that looks bang-on.

2. GuiltyBoomerang Jul 23, 2017

Omega Weems on Pilot Hardy's wrist.
    Great film overall!

3. base615 Jul 23, 2017

I saw it today and it was, without hyperbole, one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Nolan and Zimmer immerse you in periods of the most extreme tension and sudden calm before jolting you back in again. Thoroughly engaging and an incredible piece of cinema.

The Omega was a nice touch.

propervinyl likes this.
  4. Motman Jul 23, 2017

It was on there as of last night but it was a bit.............Russian. :D

5. base615 Jul 23, 2017

Do yourself a favour and see this one properly rather than on Kodi.

Madjam1966, Kmart and R3D9 like this.
  6. 2ar2c1 Jul 23, 2017

i saw it on 70mm, very nice: now to find it in imax theater for 2nd viewing.

GuiltyBoomerang likes this.
  7. Just Livin Jul 23, 2017

Christopher Nolan has Directed a few of my fav ever films. Super clever Momento, Inception, and Interstellar. Given the reviews I have read thus far, and the positive feedback here, can't wait to watch :thumbsup:

Nobel Prize likes this.
  8. Nobel Prize Spell Master! Jul 23, 2017

Me neither. The problem is my wife hates fast movement loud movies in movie theaters so she wants to wait until we can see it at home. I'll probably escape and see it alone.

Edantony likes this.
  9. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 23, 2017

Was there a real one in there somewhere?

Larry S likes this.
  10. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 23, 2017

Just saw it in IMAX. Very good and worth seeing. Not nearly as good as Saving Private Ryan. Flying sequences, I believe, were better in Battle of Britain BUT that movie was made almost 50 years ago and there were a lot more WW2 era aircraft available.

Biggest historical inaccuracy was the use of only Spitfires. I believe the RAF Hawker Hurricane was much more prevalent during the Battle of France and outnumbered Spitfires during the Battle of Britain as well.

11. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 23, 2017

Correct!

12. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 23, 2017

Huge effort was made to ensure accurate depiction. Set a new standard for aerial combat scenes.

bazamu likes this.
  13. Modest_Proposal Trying too hard to be one of the cool kids Jul 23, 2017

The sound fx was one of things I noted in this film...

You've got to see it on the big screen to appreciate the power and roar of it.

propervinyl and levkov like this.
  14. gemini4 Hoarder Of Speed et alia Jul 23, 2017

Wish Dunkirk production had let my son and I know that they needed some Hurricanes.
    We would have brought ours :) IMG_2851.JPG
    Above, Battle of Britain Museum, Kent
    Below: Battle of Britain Memorial, Capel le Ferns, Kent
    Planes at the museum are all mockups btw. Some are left over movie props.
    IMG_2853.JPG IMG_2856.JPG IMG_2859.JPG IMG_2871.JPG IMG_2873.JPG

Edited Jul 23, 2017
  15. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 23, 2017

With R/C models.

16. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 23, 2017

Where did you read that?

17. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Jul 23, 2017

From Rodger Ebert: (hated the film but)

"The airplanes are another sore point. Sure, Harry Saltzmanspent millions to assemble and repair Spitfires and Hurricanes, and there was even a TV special about the authenticity of the movie. But you've got to USE airplanes; it isn't enough to own them. Some of the aerial photography is very good. We see dogfights actually filmed in the air and fought by real planes (instead of by models and visual effects)."

18. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Jul 23, 2017

Well I'm old enough to remember seeing the film when it was released in 69.
    A quick recap from Wikipedia.
    Over a period of 2 years before filming, 82 radio controlled models of Spitfires, Hurricanes, Messerschmitts and Heinkels were constructed for the aerial battle scenes by John Siddal. Most of the aircraft shown on the ground were plywood mock-ups.
    I'm not disputing though that a few of the aircraft in the film were real, although most were heavily disguised to appear period correct when in fact they were far from it.

gemini4 likes this.
  19. mikesspeedy Jul 24, 2017

These flicks are entertainment not documentaries. Yes some of them are more or less based on some truth but Hollywood have just about managed to screw up every true story. Why let the truth get in the way of entertainment. The clothes the plains, the people, the boats, the just about everything of course is fake. I don't know how many special effects, in the end there are cameras everywhere, fake explosions, CGI. Guys the whole thing is fake! so what if they also get quite a few bits wrong if its an entertaining flick, I guess, just enjoy without trying to spot the errors because in my general experience the whole goddam thing is one huge error. I will watch this movie and I expect I will enjoy it. It may even make me think of the days when real people on the ground and in the air in many countries in the world had to stand up and be counted for real. But I wont get all worried over the use of the wrong mk of spitfire or over use of a spit instead of a hurricane. I will simply enjoy the flick for what it is..... entertainment.

Edantony likes this.
  20. doog Jul 24, 2017

The modern warbird scene owes a great debt to the producers of Battle of Britain. Without that film there would be noticeably fewer airworthy Spits and Hurricanes now, and the film certainly saved all the Spanish CASA 2-111s (HE111) and HA112 Buchons (109s) from the scrapyard. Regarding the accuracy of whether Spits or Hurris would have operated over Dunkirk, both flew regular patrols during Dynamo. This is proven by the fact that Spit Mk1a N3200, crash-landed on the beach 26 May 1940, and stayed there until recovered in 1985. It's now airworthy.

GuiltyBoomerang, Larry S and gemini4 like this.