Forums Latest Members
  1. Squan Aug 10, 2020

Hey guys,

The other day I was taking my year old omega seamaster 2018 smp off, and I accidentally dropped it from about 3-4 feet onto a wooden floor. Everything seemed to be okay... there were no scratches, and the timing was fine. Fast forward one day and my date now begins changing at around 11:15 pm and flips to the next date by 11:20 pm. RIP

I am planning on taking the watch into an omega boutique this week. How much do you guys think this is going to cost me?

Squan

2. Faz Aug 10, 2020

RIP means dead no? It seems there's hope for a positive outcome. I would unRIP it. Might not be all that bad. Certainly a few C notes.

Winston_Smith, janice&fred and Squan like this.
  3. Squan Aug 10, 2020

lets hope, im so nervous about this lol

Tony likes this.
  4. Faz Aug 10, 2020

I'm sure it's not fatal...

janice&fred, ConElPueblo and Squan like this.
  5. gbesq Aug 10, 2020

If Omega charges you for the repair, I would expect it to cost approximately $500 USD for a full service, give or take. I doubt that the watch is a goner as your RIP seems to imply.

Edited Aug 11, 2020
    RonH, 3rdstringholder and Squan like this.
  6. Squan Aug 10, 2020

Any chance they could cover some of the cost under warranty?

7. texasmade Aug 10, 2020

Most likely not since this was due to a shock and not a manufacturer’s defect.

Squan likes this.
  8. eldiano84 Aug 10, 2020

And those watch technicians are crucial and thorough good luck!

9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Aug 11, 2020

Go to a boutique not an AD and have them send it in for service.

you’ll be fine. Just be nice, smile, and say you’ve got no idea how it happened.
    Your not a technician and it happened a day later. So are you trained to know what could have caused the problem?

no lies I see.

10. Squan Aug 11, 2020

I like the way you think! I’ll let you all know how it goes, I’m planning on going in tomorrow

Foo2rama likes this.
  11. Chazman1946 Aug 11, 2020

The movement has a 5 year warranty if you purchased it through an AD. if there is no damage to the case the innards shouldn't have been broken from only a 3 ft drop onto a wooden floor, your costs then should be Zero!

RonH, Foo2rama and Squan like this.
  12. Squan Aug 11, 2020

Thats a great point, I really dont know how the movement would be substantially damaged if the stainless steel was not scratched

13. padders Oooo subtitles! Aug 11, 2020

The will be covered under warranty. Send it as directly to Omega as you can ie contact a service centre or or take it to a boutique. I have experienced something similar. It’s up to you if you want to tell them you dropped it but they should repair it all the same.

Foo2rama, ConElPueblo and Squan like this.
  14. Martin_J_N Aug 11, 2020

Take it to an OB, explain the date change issue and ask for the fault to be rectified under warranty, I may be economical on the detail of the watch dropping to the floor.

Squan likes this.
  15. EricCsN Aug 11, 2020

it is unnecessary to tell them any other details other than the change date issue. It is a small matter to them (they do make and sell ~700K watches / year) . I am sure they will be very apologetic and may offer u (without you asking) something (a small gift set) to apologise for the inconvenience, for the bother and for the trouble to u (because they value your total customer experience with them - to be as perfect as possible - and they want you to know / feel that as you will come back for more in years ahead).

Edited Aug 11, 2020
    RonH and Squan like this.
  16. YY77 Aug 11, 2020

this was posted recently by Archer, so one doesn't always would get away with saying nothing about dropping it.

17. Hamish02 Aug 11, 2020

Yea, give them a call or drop them a message - details on their website. They’ll send a pre-paid package for you to return it to them. Describe the symptoms and leave it to them to decide how it happened. Basically they will take it in and do an assessment / give you a quote. They’ll either say it’ll be fixed under warranty or tell you it has had a shock and in that case you can say ‘fair enough it had a fall the previous day’ and pay for the repairs. Leave it to the Gods (Omega).

Squan likes this.
  18. chaw6125 Aug 11, 2020

The only thing I would say is expect to have a long old wait before you get it back. But if they do fix it for free then a month or two without your watch is still a fair trade.

Squan likes this.
  19. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 11, 2020

Take it in and tell them you dropped it. That’s the best way for them to know what happened.

20. Icnbne Aug 11, 2020

This, see no reason to lie about anything.

Squan and Hamish02 like this.