Forums Latest Members
  1. Mp4F1 Feb 22, 2022

Hey guys, I recently dropped my speedmaster which is only 2 years old :(, and it landed on it's bezel at 6..

It's still able to keep time but when I use the chronograph and the minute hand is between 20-35 minutes, the chrono hand will get stuck behind the minute hand and the watch will stop running (including the seconds hand)

Will this be a simple repair that won't require a service, hopefully I can get it repaired under warranty?

Thanks

PXL_20220222_100852487.jpg
  2. Evitzee Feb 22, 2022

Warranty doesn't cover damage caused by owner so you'll have to pay for repairs. It might just be a simple adjustment of the hands to restore the proper clearance, or the posts may be bent. You won't know if there is any real damage until it is opened up and diagnosed.

Edited Feb 22, 2022
  3. Donn Chambers Feb 22, 2022

Might get serviced under warranty if there is no evidence of a drop and you withhold that piece of info when you send it in and say “it just stopped working” but maybe not. It’s up to you (and karma) if you want to try that route. Personally, I’d just accept that it was my fault, find a local watchmaker who could do the work, and have it serviced and pay the price. From the description, I think a full service is probably warranted to make sure all potential damage is fixed.

GuiltunderGlass and Duracuir1 like this.
  4. TwinPeaks Feb 22, 2022

The thing I'd be worried about, if this was my watch, would be voiding the warranty taking it to a local watchmaker, especially since they still have 3 years left of their warranty. I agree with Donn and get it serviced since you are noticing issues with the watch after the drop.

Foo2rama likes this.
  5. HootOwl Feb 22, 2022

I would be surprised if you could claim under warranty. There is not much they will not have seen before and will have a fair idea of what causes what damage. One possible avenue could be claiming on your house insurance IF you have the relevant cover in place. Take it to an Omega dealer, be honest and see what if anything they can do. Maybe its your lucky day and they will sort under good will. If not and
    it's expensive, look into that claim.

ChrisN likes this.
  6. Dan S Feb 22, 2022

It looks like you need a repair and a replacement bezel. It's unfortunate, but when you damage something accidentally, you normally have to pay for it to be repaired or replaced, unless you have insurance. So those are your two options IMO ... paying cash or making an insurance claim. You can look into your homeowners insurance, but if it's anything like mine, the deductible will make a claim impractical. Since the watch is so new, I would personally take it to an AD/OB or send it directly to an Omega service center.

Duracuir1, Larry S and TwinPeaks like this.
  7. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Feb 22, 2022

New watches, dropped, banged against door sills etc. Warranty is void. This I have learned courtesy of Richemont.

8. ChrisN Feb 22, 2022

I had a close friend come to me after dropping his relatively new Breitling which had a few issues from that. I said I wasn't willing to fix it as it needed some parts so would not be inexpensive but, I said the same to him about his house insurance. They covered the full £2.5k repair at Breitling so, this is definitely worth looking into.

Cheers, Chris

Dan S, TwinPeaks and Shabbaz like this.
  9. Geckobros Feb 22, 2022

I'm afraid, "This round is on you." Send it in for repairs and it will come back good as new. I do believe in karma and honesty so I would fess up. You don't want any bad juju.

vadimo, Jrcigar and bombaywalla like this.
  10. chipotlefire Feb 23, 2022

Choices (imo):

Independent watchmaker: $450 plus parts plus maybe shipping, probably 1 year warranty
    Swatch: $800 plus parts, 2 year warranty

seems Swatch is a little hit or miss on what parts they charge for though

11. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 23, 2022

You dropped it you have to pay, this is not a warranty problem.

You need a service and not a quick fix.

Hoping you can get it repaired under warranty is like asking for a car to be fixed under warranty when you just hit a tree :whistling:

Jrcigar, MauricioNO, aphexafx and 3 others like this.
  12. Mp4F1 Feb 23, 2022

Thanks for the replies everyone,
    Just curious lol... considering that the speedmaster has been to the moon and has undergone some "stressful testing" I was surprised that a drop from waist height would cause issues...:confused:

13. Seaborg Feb 23, 2022

Gravity is different on the Moon :D

14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Feb 23, 2022

Drop any watch and your a 80% chance of issues.

IIRC The dropping test is tested on a wooden floor….

15. scubafan Feb 23, 2022

Always surprises me how some people reach adult age safely.::facepalm1::

easygoinguk, marpro, Jrcigar and 3 others like this.
  16. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 23, 2022

I nominate this for post of the week! :thumbsup:

SlCKB0Y, Linzer, Shabbaz and 9 others like this.
  17. Seaborg Feb 23, 2022

Thanks buddy :cool:

STANDY likes this.
  18. gbesq Feb 23, 2022

I second the nomination. When I read the post a vision of one of the Apollo astronauts “dropping” his Speedmaster while in the Command Module popped into my head. In zero gravity, the watch just floated around the cabin. The bottom line is that mechanical watches are precision instruments with many moving parts. None of them will take kindly to being dropped in places where gravity comes into play.

SmithSJ and Seaborg like this.
  19. mutanthands Feb 23, 2022

If you were unethical, you could replace the bezel with a new OEM one, then send it to Omega under warranty, claiming ignorance as to why the movement stopped working properly.

However, that would be dishonest, so don’t do that. ;)

20. chipotlefire Feb 23, 2022

This is an over-generalization. A G-shock or Richard Mille will be fine.