Dress Watch

I would like to gauge opinion on this:

I am currently looking to rationalise my collection...

I have selected which watches I am keeping, so I have a vintage, I have a daily, and I have a beater all selected - the rest I am going to move on, but I need to select a dress watch from my current collection or from the market... would I / can one get away with a SpeedMaster Pro as a Dress watch, mine is the Rising Sun variant - otherwise perhaps looking at keeping my Seamaster 300 in Steel & Rose, or getting a JLC Master Ultra Thin as a dress...

I think you could get away with the Speedy being used as a dress watch, but traditionally I don't think it is considered to be one...no chrono really for that matter. At least that has been my understanding. Probably a little easier to pull of with that variation of Seamaster though.
However If you want something that is no doubt a "dress watch" get the JLC

Personally JLC master ultra thin is the modern dress for me. I think your rising sun is the opposite of a dress watch, although it is a handsome piece.

Even though I am Omega freak, when I look at your proposal of choice I would definietly go with JLC as a classic dress piece.Speedy is far away from this category, so is Semaster, although a bit closer, but still not there.

I would like to gauge opinion on this:

I am currently looking to rationalise my collection...

I have selected which watches I am keeping, so I have a vintage, I have a daily, and I have a beater all selected - the rest I am going to move on, but I need to select a dress watch from my current collection or from the market... would I / can one get away with a SpeedMaster Pro as a Dress watch, mine is the Rising Sun variant - otherwise perhaps looking at keeping my Seamaster 300 in Steel & Rose, or getting a JLC Master Ultra Thin as a dress...

If I was dressing up every single day in a suit and tie, I would get the JLC (or another classic three-hand watch). Personally, I do not dress up every day and I have worn my Speedmaster FOiS on a croc strap with a tuxedo to an event and I still had the nicest watch of anyone else there. I also will sometimes wear my Bond Seamaster with a suit. I have a colleague who DOES wear a suit every day to work and is considered a rather dapper dresser. He also wears a Bond Seamaster every day.

In short, your Speedmaster will probably be better than 90% of the watches you will see for men wearing suits. No need to buy a new watch unless you want to.

Speedmaster is a great watch with rich history but IMHO definetely not a dress watch..
JLC gets my vote for a dressier option

In my opinion the whole "dress watch" thing is really just personal taste these days. I certainly would not hesitate to wear my rose gold Lemania with jeans or a Seamaster Professional with a suit. Unless you're trying to impress someone with your Rolex President, most people see watches as a commodity, if they even wear them at all.

So whatever you have picked out for your "vintage" is likely close to "dress" anyways.

My favorite Speedy = Fois, is also my ideal dress watch...

Edited:

If you truly want a dress watch, the JLC is the only thing on your list that comes close.

You can wear whatever you like. Don’t have to stick to tradition.

However, having worn both for dressier occasions, I do prefer and normally pick the MUT

IMG_3Oct2019at174407.jpg

You can wear whatever you want as a dress watch, but in my subjective opinion your Speedmaster and Seamaster 300 are not dress watches at all. Even within the chronograph category, a Speedmaster is on the sporty end of the spectrum, and obviously a dive watch is a tool watch, the antithesis of a dress watch.

The term "dress watch" often gets used very broadly these days to mean a watch for office wear, or to pair with a suit or smart casual on an outing to a fine dining venue. In that context, a sport watch like any Speedmaster range, Seamaster, Royal Oak, Overseas, Datejust, Reverso, are all perfectly suitable options.

But if by "dress watch", you're referring the more narrow definition of a watch to pair with formal wear (white tie, morning dress), then I would leave the Speedmaster at home. It's far too bulky / utilitarian to go with a morning coat, or tails. I'd opt for something very thin and austere, with either just 2 hands, or 2 hands and small seconds. But preferably a pocket watch, or no watch at all.

Thankfully, the dressiest I ever get 364 days a year is the former category. And by that more broad definition of a 'dress watch', any old sports activity watch like a Speedmaster is perfectly fine. You'd have to go really big (think Proplof, Big Pilot, or a 50mm mall watch with skeleton dial and chrome/gold plating) before others think you're making a faux pax on your choice of watch for either the office or for an elegant night out.

Once you define define what “dress” means to you, you can better identify “dress watch.”

A lot of people will rock a Speedmaster or a sportier Rolex at a formal event but I often assume they are one watch owners who care more about a label then sartorial conventions. Nothing wrong with that per se, but I vote JLC all day.

The MUT is a wonderful dress watch that would also work fine for more casual wear IMO. Every iteration is very nice, but in18K gold it is really something else.

My vintage is an 1969 Omega Geneve in Rose Gold with Cream Dial on a Cognac strap - so could be used as a dress watch I suppose, but this was my fathers and is more of a heirloom (not in value, but in sentiment).

My classification for daily is smart casual and office wear - for which I have a modern Submariner.

My beater is a SS Black wave dial Seamaster Pro 300m Diver Quartz.

For the Dress watch - my definition of Dress is weddings, formal events for work such as awards ceremonies, black-tie (which I only do once a year or so) - so before buying a JLC and selling off my Speedmaster Pro Rising Sun (which is visually fantastic), a Seamaster 300MC in Rose and Steel, a Rolex OP 39 in Red Grape, a Speedmaster FOIS, a Tudor BB58 Blue - I wondered if one of those could fit the bill as a dress watch - the Speedy with Red Bezel does pop in formal situations, but the others I am thinking of purchasing as a replacement (only one of the following) are JLC Master Ultra Thin, the Vacheron 56 or Overseas Gen 3, or a DateJust 41 - to be honest I just can't decide and suppose I would regret selling the 2 Speedies.

1 more vote for the JLC. Very classy. A step above the rest in the dress category, in my opinion.

A rose gold Geneve sounds like a dress watch to me.

This is a common dilemma I have too and try to work my collection around what I'm wearing and when - its also a case of probably thinking about it too much, maybe...!

If it helps, here's a few from my collection and when I wear them (also an excuse to share some photos...)

Seamaster 2576 on leather which I wear almost exclusively for weddings:
IMG_0387.jpg

Same Seamaster but on BOR, quite versatile for office smart or casual day to day:
IMG_0453.jpg

FOiS I generally save for the office or a night out smart/casual, I probably wouldn't use it as a proper dress watch:
IMG_8383.jpg

SM300mc in general day to day rotation usually just casual:
IMG_9803.jpg

Vintage 28mm I would generally only wear every so often at work:
IMG_8416.jpg

Sorry for the picture heavy post 😀

Its good to have options but I like how you've set specific watches for specific categories; dress, vintage, daily etc - like me it helps keep the OCD at bay! Good luck on the hunt for a dress watch.
Edited: