Dress Watch

You mentioned from the market. The truth is an Apple watch is as tech, as fancy, as dressy as a very wide swath of today's fashion conscience population gets. Not much help, but you will do best if you follow your likes.

You mentioned from the market. The truth is an Apple watch is as tech, as fancy, as dressy as a very wide swath of today's fashion conscience population gets. Not much help, but you will do best if you follow your likes.

Yeah, leaning towards a Vacheron 56 or Patrimony, or a JLC Master Ultra Thin...it's a tough choice - but I think someone above said it could be down to over thinking this...

42A6CDBF00000578-0-image-a-10_1500938576124.jpg
Jeans purchased for big bucks brand new with holes already in them continue to remain persistent as stylish apparel so anything goes these days.

There's never a need to rationalize one's watch collection.

I still admire traditional dress watches and that JLC would be a great choice in my view.
1815349.png.crop.1000.high.grey.jpeg

Pretty much every mechanical luxury watch can be considered a dress watch nowadays. The Casio and Apple watches are the real sports/tool watches of today. We also dress differently than many decades ago so very rarely will a "sports" mechanical watch look out of place, even when fully suited.

Pretty much every mechanical luxury watch can be considered a dress watch nowadays. The Casio and Apple watches are the real sports/tool watches of today. We also dress differently than many decades ago so very rarely will a "sports" mechanical watch look out of place, even when fully suited.

The worst is when you get a nice watch on one wrist and a Fitbit or the likes on the other. Seen that at a wedding 🤮 - might as well have worn tracksuit bottoms with a shirt and tie - maybe a slight over reaction but... 😉

This is what I'm eyeing to be my dress watch. I know its a chrono, so it may not fit the traditional mode, but I am smitten.
iwc-chronograph-automatic-silver-dial-watch-iw371604.jpg

I am a huge Omega fan, but when I need a dress watch my JLC master ultra thin moon is the one that I put on.
F1D7F7DD-39ED-4E6A-92D6-84676BBD069A.jpeg

The worst is when you get a nice watch on one wrist and a Fitbit or the likes on the other. Seen that at a wedding 🤮 - might as well have worn tracksuit bottoms with a shirt and tie - maybe a slight over reaction but... 😉
Not an overreaction at all.

I’d think in the “vintage - daily - beater” set you’re missing a crucial one... the “fun”. The one you don’t want to let go (sounds like your speedy might fit the bill)

the others you have, all 3 work as office wear, the sub certainly as wedding wear (if you accept to be one of very many rolex sub wearers at a wedding), and anything more formal than these the solution is very simple: don’t wear a watch!

so keep or buy what you like, no real need for a proper dress watch really (unless you really want one of course)

Am looking at 50 s gold geneves - lovely things
I have a 1959 Geneve in stainless steel with rose gold dial accents. They are beautiful watches.
69FFD40F-39EA-4CAE-829E-ED4C4B9816EF.jpeg 9A1197F8-71FB-430D-81C1-76F66D2F29FE.jpeg

"First understand the rules. Then break them"

Imagine a black tie event. Nice dinner location. Sharp looks everywhere. And then you wear a Ploprof as your "dress watch". That would be the kind of person I would like to talk to over drinks : ) That said, I am not that person and I do anyway have too small wrists for the PloProf. My kind of dress watch would be the Aqua Terra or the Globemaster. But that JLC looks absolutely gorgeous. Depends on personality, style and what you like. I think dive watches are nice with a suit, a Sub or a SMP for example.

"First understand the rules. Then break them"

Imagine a black tie event. Nice dinner location. Sharp looks everywhere. And then you wear a Ploprof as your "dress watch". That would be the kind of person I would like to talk to over drinks : ) That said, I am not that person and I do anyway have too small wrists for the PloProf. My kind of dress watch would be the Aqua Terra or the Globemaster. But that JLC looks absolutely gorgeous. Depends on personality, style and what you like. I think dive watches are nice with a suit, a Sub or a SMP for example.
totally agree, on the PloProf story and also for the choice of the AquaTerra.
James Bond, a pretty well dressed man, wears an AquaTerra and a Seamaster...
😉

I have a 1959 Geneve in stainless steel with rose gold dial accents. They are beautiful watches.
69FFD40F-39EA-4CAE-829E-ED4C4B9816EF.jpeg 9A1197F8-71FB-430D-81C1-76F66D2F29FE.jpeg
Gbesq Thats a cracker. Hand wound or auto? Diameter? Ref?

totally agree, on the PloProf story and also for the choice of the AquaTerra.
James Bond, a pretty well dressed man, wears an AquaTerra and a Seamaster...
😉

You do know that James Bond isnt real...right?

You do know that James Bond isnt real...right?
Shhhh....don't ruin Easter and Christmas for him too. 😉

Hi there,

That JLC is IMO gorgeous!

I for myself prefer mostly more dressier watches!
A dress watch is simpler in design than a sports watch!
A simpler & reserved design piece is easier to combine with any style of clothes.
Be it casual or formal!

A dress watch with casual looks for me smarter than a sports/diver with a dark suit or even formal!

I mean, I collect a few watches,
buy chic formal/Party wear, expensive cufflinks, several tie pins & clips, white gold studs for the white tie/black tie attire,
but don’t have a style matching watch that I could wear with it?
The argument, that I don’t wear suit or formal everyday, ok!
But formal/Party clothes, cufflinks and tie pin I also not wear often, but I do have them!

Elegant style is not a matter of how much money I spend,
but a matter of taste, style and refinement!
I think!
Edited:

In my opinion the whole "dress watch" thing is really just personal taste these days. I certainly would not hesitate to wear my rose gold Lemania with jeans or a Seamaster Professional with a suit. Unless you're trying to impress someone with your Rolex President, most people see watches as a commodity, if they even wear them at all.

So whatever you have picked out for your "vintage" is likely close to "dress" anyways.

This is another story 😀 You are right, dress watch category nowadays is a different topic and in reality yo udo not need one. I have seen thick G-shocks worn with tuxedos so why bother.

Elegant style is not a question of how much money I spend,
but of the taste,
to combine matching items, in a matching style together!
Couldn’t agree more!