Forums Latest Members

Don't Wear Your Good Watch In Beverly Hills

1. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 6, 2021

Furthermore, just because your searches did not come up with a hit, does not mean that decriminalization was not implied in the policies and sentencing guides of the soon to be recalled district attorney. Sentence reduction is not to be confused with bail reduction. The elected official is choosing to reduce the consequences of offensive criminal behavior and thus, the criminality level of that misdemeanor or felony.

Wryfox likes this.
  2. cvalue13 Mar 6, 2021

this view may misunderstand the role (and inordinate power) prosecutors have always had, and will forever have.

I was a law clerk for a federal judge, and I’m close friends with several senior federal judges - many of them will tell you that if you want real power, be a federal prosecutor not a judge.

The questions being confronted in LA seem less about prosecutorial discretion (never going away), and more about attempting a more dispersed application of that discretion.

I’m not taking a substantive side here, but instead just pointing out that “prosecutors choosing what to prosecute” is not new; what’s argued to be new is who benefits proportionately from that discretion.

EDIT: or @kingsrider i could have misunderstood your post above, understanding brevity loses detail - and my reading comprehension particularly low today

Edited Mar 6, 2021
  3. Scooterino36 Mar 6, 2021

I don’t think a story like this really dissuades me from wearing say my Omegas, which I consider my good watches. I just can’t see someone shooting up a cafe to steal my Aqua Terra.

RM are very conspicuous and worth in the six figures. Can’t think of a better way to make yourself a target.

Edit: I now see that this was posted under “high-end watches”. I will slowly back away

4. JwRosenthal Mar 6, 2021

1C8F1B0F-22FC-43C7-A689-01F313B8FDE0.jpeg

inchpincher, Wryfox, apsm100 and 4 others like this.
  5. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 6, 2021

Please elaborate.

My wife is an attorney, hence, the enhanced argumentative skills. Just a lowly park worker asking where is the justice when your stuff goes missing?

cvalue13 likes this.
  6. cvalue13 Mar 6, 2021

I’m not the best mouthpiece, or is this the best forum. But in short: there are always a lot of laws that go under-enforced and a lot that go over-enforced; there are resulting winners and losers; when the tide moves the line, there are some new winners and losers.

kkt and kingsrider like this.
  7. TDBK Mar 6, 2021

You're the one playing games with words by treating dissimilar things as the same.

Bail reform is not the same thing as decriminalization. It should not be an outrageous idea that there should a high bar of justification before jailing people who have not been convicted of a crime. There's a number of reasons why: efficient use of public resources, reducing long-term criminality, and less unilateral power for police and prosecutors among them; so even if you don't agree with all of them, there's supporters from all over the political spectrum on this. The simple "tough on crime" stance which locks up the accused wholesale without considering risks and outcomes has cost American society billions of dollars while reducing public safety.

And violent crimes (assault and robbery) are a different category from property crimes. I think California has crappy governance, particularly my former home of San Francisco, and their soft approach on property crime and other quality-of-life criminality is a disaster, but criticizing these policies by blurring the distinctions between classes of crimes is the kind of sloppy thinking which enables this to be an emotional social argument instead of working on good programs which improve societal outcomes. And that kind of thinking is how we got to the crappy situation noted above.

simonsays, bgrisso, timjohn and 2 others like this.
  8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 6, 2021

I did not bring up bail reform. The discussion of bail reform was brought up along side of the issue of decriminalization, by sleepyastronaut. As you most succinctly point out they are not the same thing. I was attempting to make the same distinction you just did.

This is where these arguments loose me. Should we not feel so assaulted because our loss was just an invasion of our home our business or our car.
    What happens when this invasion, this burglary, happens when my daughter or wife is home by herself? Now it's to be taken more seriously? Up until that point it is just a "property crime"?

Wryfox likes this.
  9. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2021

OK people, let’s bring this back to the original subject.

We are not going to solve the US or California criminal justice system on this forum.

Let us not try.
    gatorcpa

10. cvalue13 Mar 6, 2021

It’s the safest, most crime-free, era in all of U.S. or world history: that it makes it to the news at all when an expensive watch is stolen at gunpoint, is actually an indication of how well we’ve got it.

Upwards and onwards, forum!

marco and Foo2rama like this.
  11. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? Mar 6, 2021

How is the weather in FLA?
    I need to start looking for tics
    Go Delta!! @Mad Dog

12. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Mar 6, 2021

upload_2021-3-6_19-47-58.png

See for yourself. It’s springtime here. The college kids are in town, COVID be damned.
    gatorcpa

13. worldwidewes Mar 6, 2021

I feel like the best course of action with wearing a watch like that is to "hide in plain sight" as they say. I don't think anyone staring at my vintage Speedy (although obviously it's not nearly as expensive as an RM) when I'm out and about in my local shopping complex or out grocery shopping. But I bet people like these criminals specifically crawl around places like Beverly Hills looking for watches, or cars, or clothing to steal because that's where you find the highest density of expensive things to steal.

apsm100 likes this.
  14. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Mar 7, 2021

15. Wryfox Mar 7, 2021

This is the first post I've read with the new 'enhanced" ads. Ie not just embedded ads but now pop up ads with videos that block the screen literally every 10 seconds. These ads have gone from understandably justified to insanely annoying in just a few weeks. The tipping point is here.

I've had to click off 8 blocking ads just to write this post....

16. pdxleaf ... Mar 7, 2021

https://omegaforums.net/threads/of-ad-free-subscriptions-available-now.126770/

17. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Mar 7, 2021

You’re all sorry for the guy who lost his watch, but none of you seem to care about the woman who had nothing to do with it yet got a bullet injury to her leg which may impair her for the rest of her life. The watch is just property.

Also, whoever eats in restaurants nowadays has no complaints. Many in other parts of the world are in full or semi lockdown and can barely see any friends, and it’s 32 degrees farenheit / 0 celsius.

kkt, TimeODanaos and sleepyastronaut like this.
  18. Omegafanman Mar 7, 2021

Over the years a few London boys seem happy to enjoy a cup of tea and still risk it 'out and about' with a bit of bling.
    I think a few people the other side of the pond are also happy to be flash around town and take their chances :0)

01.jpg 03.jpg 06.jpg 04.jpg 02.jpg IMG_4767.PNG
  19. Omegafanman Mar 7, 2021

Someone I know has been in a lot of bad situations due to their profession. They were on a social drink with an off duty detective when the detective got recognised by the wrong crowd. People began to arrive and exits started to get covered. The person I know told me that they pulled what he called the 'nutter card', pretended to go off their head and then went fast for an exit. Both they and the detective made it out and got clear - so it does work. I imagine the fact they guy is a big unit helped :0)

20. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Mar 7, 2021

Just because someone is yryi
    it was also the Dems fault when Bernie got mugged in London wearing an even cheaper watch.