Does ultrasonic cleaning count as polishing?

I asked my watchmaker to leave the watch unpolished and he asked me if putting it in the ultrasonic machine is ok. Not sure how to answer him so please guide me. Does ultrasonic cleaning count as polishing? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance!

Don't worry, its just a standard cleaning procedure while servicing.

It's basically just cleaning with soap and water using waves to agitate the dirt loose gently. Won't devalue the watch at all.

In short, no, not at all. I am surprised a watchmaker would ask that unless perhaps he had concerns over a loose or flaking finish on some case component.
Edited:

It's just a soapy water bath, it's not abrasive in the slightest. Not sure why the watchmaker would even ask. Pretty tricky to carry out a movement service without ultrasonic cleaning the parts and case!
I have a small ultrasonic cleaner which I use for my watch bracelets all the time. Works great!

Ultrasonic uses tiny bubbles to remove dirt from surfaces without abrasion so not polishing at all.

I have asked some clients in the past, just to make sure, especially if they seemed very concerned about me polishing. Some people know about the process and some do not. To me it is just a best practise, no surprises after.

With the current position that ANY polishing of any part of any watch is a sacrilege to be avoided at all costs it is not surprising that some watch repairers are a bit squeamish when a customer comes in and demands that no polishing be done. There are probably a few watch owners who think an ultrasonic cleaning is a no no. Strange hobby we have.

Ultrasonic is just like a spa bath with tiny bubbles

(And yes you can wear your Rolex in it 😁😁) inside joke if you have been into watches for a long while….

With the current position that ANY polishing of any part of any watch is a sacrilege to be avoided at all costs it is not surprising that some watch repairers are a bit squeamish when a customer comes in and demands that no polishing be done. There are probably a few watch owners who think an ultrasonic cleaning is a no no. Strange hobby we have.

Yes, I've had people ask me to not put a case in an ultrasonic cleaner...

Yes, I've had people ask me to not put a case in an ultrasonic cleaner...

Perhaps they want their relatives to be able to clone them from the DNA build up inside the Endlinks?!

Perhaps they want their relatives to be able to clone them from the DNA build up inside the Endlinks?!

I'm still waiting for someone to ask me to filter out what comes from the case and bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner and send that back to them...only half joking...

I'm still waiting for someone to ask me to filter out what comes from the case and bracelet in the ultrasonic cleaner and send that back to them...only half joking...

You could make some extra money by offering that as a service premium. 👍 For an extra cost, a wristcheese diamond could be made and added to the dial https://eterneva.com/science/

I asked my watchmaker to leave the watch unpolished and he asked me if putting it in the ultrasonic machine is ok. Not sure how to answer him so please guide me. Does ultrasonic cleaning count as polishing? Sorry if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance!
if he is a good watchmaker; he would not just clean with the watch. vin

Depending on the cleaning solution he is using, tarnish could go away. Especially on silver cases (pocket watch). Also gold & brass might become brighter.
But this is a chemical process, not an abrasive.
Usually you don't want alien DNA on your watch.