Does this piece look over-polished?

Hi OF,

Looking at this piece, seller has been upfront and stated that it was been polished, and my take on this piece is that it has been somewhat aggressively polished due to the rounded lugs. But wanted to get a second opinion on here. Thanks!

I’d also rate it as over polished. I don’t know enough to comment on its provenance but it’s a nice dual and I guess it’s case of balancing out the pros and cons.

I’d also rate it as over polished. I don’t know enough to comment on its provenance but it’s a nice dual and I guess it’s case of balancing out the pros and cons.

Yea agree, provenance looks fine albeit with a replacement bezel (which is fairly common), and the dial is in great condition. I'm not as fussed about the polishing but wanted to sense check what I thought. Hard to find sharp lugs in decent condition with these pieces nowadays.

The question is really, how much does it have to be over polished to pass on the watch and look for another?

The question is really, how much does it have to be over polished to pass on the watch and look for another?

My perspective is this one is borderline, and the dial's condition to me probably tips it in its favour.

Wrong pushers, wrong bezel, wrong crown, over polished case and hands that have been redone in an unnatural way (although this could just be the photo).

I do like the dial, the only thing nice about this piece.

My perspective is this one is borderline, and the dial's condition to me probably tips it in its favour.
It comes down to the price and what you want to pay. Airansun posts, "Wrong pushers, wrong bezel, wrong crown, over polished case and hands that have been redone in an unnatural way (although this could just be the photo)." Too many wrongs in my opinion, and maybe you can do better in the same price range.... but,ultimately, it comes down to your opinion and the price.
Good Luck

Wrong pushers, wrong bezel, wrong crown, over polished case and hands that have been redone in an unnatural way (although this could just be the photo).

I do like the dial, the only thing nice about this piece.

Understand the pushers and bezel are wrong, but can you elaborate re the hands? Curious to learn for future reference.

At what price point will something like this be a worthy purchase and candidate for laser and re-lapping?

Seems like the trend on Rolex where unpolished cases are in short supply.

I don't know the cost for that service. But have always been curious about when it's a good option.

Understand the pushers and bezel are wrong, but can you elaborate re the hands? Curious to learn for future reference.

The white color just doesn’t look the correct shade that I’ve ever seen. It’s a subtle thing and could be color tampering of the image post photograph.

The whole watch looks prepared and I don’t like that.

At what price point will something like this be a worthy purchase and candidate for laser and re-lapping?

Seems like the trend on Rolex where unpolished cases are in short supply.

I don't know the cost for that service. But have always been curious about when it's a good option.

Apologies if this is obvious, but can you pls elaborate on what laser and re-lapping are and what they would achieve?

The white color just doesn’t look the correct shade that I’ve ever seen. It’s a subtle thing and could be color tampering of the image post photograph.

The whole watch looks prepared and I don’t like that.

I see what you mean, yea that's a good question I should be asking, thanks for the tip.

I know I'm probably going to get some hate for this comment, but I actually don't mind the vintage but looks kinda new look to a watch, though I do see the appeal of an "honest" piece nonetheless.

@choon1 What they mean by laser and lapping is laser welding that can bring metal to areas where it is missing or worn, and lapping is the process where the watch case is held against a spinning wheel on a machine that holds either various grades of abrasives for brushed surfaces, or smooth tin for polishing those areas that should be mirror finished. It's a method used to restore a watch case to virtually new appearance.

Here's a great example of a case lapping, and member @Archer posted a video in the same thread showing a professional setup as well: https://omegaforums.net/threads/lapping-a-speedmaster-mkii.50199/

That's the magic of collecting, you can buy what you like regardless of what others think. Always best to inform yourself as you are doing here, and make a decision from that. I will caution that sometimes early in our collecting "career" we might make some allowances for non-originality but later if we continue to collect we might regret the choice. You can always sell a watch later, and this will still probably appreciate like any other, just at a lower rate due to it's condition, but if you like it that's what matters.

@choon1 What they mean by laser and lapping is laser welding that can bring metal to areas where it is missing or worn, and lapping is the process where the watch case is held against a spinning wheel on a machine that holds either various grades of abrasives for brushed surfaces, or smooth tin for polishing those areas that should be mirror finished. It's a method used to restore a watch case to virtually new appearance.

Here's a great example of a case lapping, and member @Archer posted a video in the same thread showing a professional setup as well: https://omegaforums.net/threads/lapping-a-speedmaster-mkii.50199/

That's the magic of collecting, you can buy what you like regardless of what others think. Always best to inform yourself as you are doing here, and make a decision from that. I will caution that sometimes early in our collecting "career" we might make some allowances for non-originality but later if we continue to collect we might regret the choice. You can always sell a watch later, and this will still probably appreciate like any other, just at a lower rate due to it's condition, but if you like it that's what matters.

Wow I never knew you could refinish a case like that - thanks for sharing!

Totally agree on your last point, I'm new to this forum and its been a great resource given I'm for some years collected, bought and sold mainly Rolex and JLC, with the only Omega I've owned being a speedy reduced (which I sold many years ago), and a recently purchased MK40 off this forum. My take on the non-original bezel is that I'd rather purchase a piece within my budget now and subsequently try to source a DON bezel down the track, as my view is that these pieces are only going to get rarer and rarer and are at current prices bargains (esp. compared to Daytona's - both modern and especially vintage).