Forums Latest Members

Does my Speedmaster 145.022-71 have original parts?

1. HHOE Feb 1, 2020

Dear Readers,

Please find attached a picture of my Omega Speedmaster 145.022-71.
    Some people claim that some parts have been exchanged on my Speedmaster!?
    I have, since I bought my Speedmaster in the early seventies, given the watch each 5 years a service with an Omega dealer and I was never informed that any parts were exchanged.
    Please, can some of you experts have a look at the attached picture of my watch and tell me if you think if nay parts were exchanged!?

I have heard that there is a possibility to get an Omega certificate regarding my watch, when I send in the serial number of my watch.
    Where can I send my watch serial number, to obtain the Omega certificate?

Thanks in advance for your help to answer my questions!

Best regards:

HHOE IMG_20200129_192942.jpg

2. Aludic @SpeedyBirthYear Feb 1, 2020

Hi @HHOE,

That looks like a nice Speedy!

At first glance, I can assure you that the chrono seconds hand is not factory original. It should have a square, rather than a drop-shaped end. This one is actually supposed to be on older references than the 145.022-71.

More importantly, if it is really an 145.022-71, it should feature a step dial. This one does not seem to have that step. Possibly a service dial.

Other than that, this one picture does not reveal much...

Hope this helps.

befobe and OMEGuy like this.
  3. OMEGuy Feb 1, 2020

Yes, dial and chrono second hand are not matching for a 145.022-71.

The bracelet looks like a 1171. Did the watch come on a 1039 bracelet when you bought it?

I wonder how the dial could be swapped without letting you know and without billing?

Foo2rama likes this.
  4. HHOE Feb 1, 2020

Hi Omega Guy,

Thanks for your answer!

I am completely new in "this game".

I bought my watch as shown (I think) in early 1970's, with the shown bracelet, etc.

I am now very unsure what type of Speedmaster I have, is it 145.022-71, or.....?

At the inside of the bracelet at both sites there is the number 633.

BR Herman

5. OMEGuy Feb 1, 2020

Your bracelet is most likely a genuine 1171 (you'll find this number on the inside of the clasp) with # 633 end pieces. This might be correct and all original, depending on when you purchased the watch, so this doesn't say anything for sure, but might give a hint, if it wasn't swapped while you owned the watch.

As has been said, the dial is not correct for the watch reference 145.022-71 and the sweep second doesn't match either.

If you are convinced that apart from regular service no major things have been done, I'd tend to think that your watch is a later reference.

To check this out, you got to have it opened. Please have this done by a good watchmaker, to avoid any damage to the case.

For further "getting into the game", I recommend this link from @Spacefruit 's website:

http://speedmaster101.com/145-022/145-022-71-74-76-78/

Edited Feb 1, 2020
  6. padders Oooo subtitles! Feb 1, 2020

Why do you think it is a -71 model? It could be mostly original (chrono hand excepted) if it were in fact a -74, -76 etc, that is likely I think. Be aware the it isn't all bad, a tritium spear chrono hand is valuable in its own right (if it is in fact tritium: it looks like it is). If you could find a flat tail tritium hand to swap you could come out ahead in putting it back to stock.

Foo2rama likes this.
  7. HHOE Feb 1, 2020

Hi padders, I assume that this is a 71 modell, because various people have told me so!!?? So, if I understand you correct, it is a 74 or 76 modell, OK.
    Thanks for your advice!

BR Herman

8. Dan S Feb 1, 2020

Just looking at the watch, it's not clear why someone would tell yo that it's a -71, because the dial is wrong for that sub-reference. However, obviously the sweep hand is not original for a cal 861 Speedmaster, so the watch has been tampered with by someone. Therefore, we are forced to consider the possibility that the dial has also been replaced, and the watch could be a -69, -71, or -74 based on your "early seventies" purchase date. We can't tell you based on the photos. It would be necessary to see the engraving inside the case-back as well as the serial number on the movement. So if you want to solve the mystery, you will need to have someone open the watch.

OMEGuy likes this.
  9. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Feb 1, 2020

Dial is correct for 145.022-74 through late 77 production 145.022-76.

it would also be the service dial put on any 861 speedy through 1977.

I’m curious as to the caseback on the OP’s watch. Also the serial number and inner caseback would tell us exactly what this watch is.

10. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Feb 1, 2020

Just FYI - this is what a 145022-71 looks like:

[​IMG]

Does any of the paperwork you received from the Omega dealer your took it to for service have any reference numbers on it? If not, the only way to know for sure will be to open the case back...something you could get a local watchmaker (reputable one) to do for you.

Cheers, Al

Spacefruit and italy1861 like this.
  11. TomGW Feb 4, 2020

The minute hand is also incorrect. This would appear to be the hand from a MK2 Speedmaster, which is shorter than the original Moonwatch. In this position it's hard to tell if the hour hand is also from a MK2.

12. Pinoysurf Feb 4, 2020

Good eye!

13. Divemann Feb 5, 2020

For an additional example attached is my 145.022-71. 86108030-A871-4F84-80A3-F5A7CB41591D.jpeg

14. TomGW Feb 6, 2020

Also with the MK2 minute hand. So has mine and I only realised that the MK2 hand is shorter when I fitted a set of tritium hands off a MK2 to my '68 Moonwatch, to replace a set where the paint had flaked off around the centre. It was all cased up and I had been wearing it for a while before I noticed. At least I still have the originals but remain on the lookout for a nice, correct tritium min hand.