Forums Latest Members

Does any who wears a Richard Mille actually pays for it?

1. Nobel Prize Spell Master! May 8, 2019

No product is ever priced at its manufacturing value, that would not be a good business plan. This is the same wether you’re buying a Rolex, an Omega, Seiko or Casio. Or a car, or a jacket. Prada makes their clothes at the same factory H&M does ( or close by :))

2. michael22 May 8, 2019

It doesn't bother me, I revel in it.
    All my watches are a waste of money, I have wasted many times more on yachts.
    I agree with all the facts you have said, we are just reaching a different conclusion.
    But it doesn't bother me, I begrudge no-one their choice of spending, & am happy for the wealthy to indulge in ways I can't.

3. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2019

I'm not sure what conclusion you are drawing to be honest. It seemed like this was a critisim of the brand and those who bought it initially...

But it seems you are now saying you support this behavior...

::confused2::

4. michael22 May 8, 2019

Nothing I said was a criticism, of the brand or those wearing it. Reread my posts.
    I have made no positive or negative comments, merely stated my opinion of certain (common) behaviours. To clarify, my assertion is that wearing a 100k+ plus watch always has a large amount of wealth signalling involved, whatever else is signalled.

If people choose to interpret my post of wasting money as being negative, that is their overlay, not my intent. I haven't suggested wasting money is wrong.

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2019

So reveling in it is not a positive thing? Just trying to understand what you mean by that...

I think you are ascribing intent with a very broad brush. I know people who are extremely wealthy, but have no overt displays of wealth. They own many watches well in excess of 100k+, but they wear them at home...not out in public. And like many truly wealthy collectors, they don't participate in forums - it's all very personal and just for themselves.

6. michael22 May 8, 2019

I am ascribing intent with a broad brush, & deserve to be tripped for it.
    Do these people you know never show watches to friends or family? It doesn't matter, as you suggest, I am probably wrong sometimes.

7. Desibaba May 8, 2019

This article is a good explanation why they price their watches like that. It seems like they only want the extremely wealthy/royalty/celebrities to have them so you can show the world you have wealth like that. Im sure it doesnt cost $600k to make a aventador svj but lamborghini has no problem selling them.

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/richard-mille-watches-expensive/

8. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2019

Sure, but those friends and family already are well aware of the wealth they have. There's no need for them to signal anything...

9. jankymutt May 8, 2019

I had this exact same question the other day. I am sure many are given/loaned to their sponsored athletes/celebrities, but there is a level of wealth that regular folk, such as myself, can barely comprehend. My wife and I both work really hard as young physicians. One Jacob & CO or Richard Mille watch could pay off our entire student loan debt. I have met people in the entertainment, IT, and finance worlds that make more money than I could have imagined. The cost of a watch is all relative.

My secondhand Seamaster and Speedmasters where something I had to factor into my "play money" budget. It's unlikely my finances will ever be on par with Richard Mille customers. Just like a lot of middle class Americans think we are insane for spending $1000, $5000, or $10,000 on a watch. The numbers are simply relevant to the current customer.

Like @Archer mentioned: Anyone who buys a watch for more than $10 at Walmart, is buying a piece of jewelry. Something to make himself/herself happy, to flaunt their wealth, to admire amazing engineering, etc...but the truth is none of these luxury watches are necessary. They are luxury items that we (I) feel enrich my life a little bit.

(sorry for the rant!!)

larryganz, AdInfinitum and blufinz52 like this.
  10. michael22 May 8, 2019

Ever heard of sibling rivalry?
    I've lost track how often wealthy siblings I know will buy new cars within a month, or week, of each other. Sometimes they just outright bitch about it, "why should he have a newer car than me?"

11. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2019

Okay sure - you know my friends better than I do apparently...:rolleyes:

12. michael22 May 8, 2019

No. I know my friends.
    The possibilities are endless, as to why people do what they do.

13. Rasputin The Mad Monk of OF May 8, 2019

Ok @Archer let’s see that wrist shot of your shiny RM already...

Eve likes this.
  14. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2019

Fair enough.

My point exactly.

Sure...

[​IMG]

Larry S and michael22 like this.
  15. Desibaba May 8, 2019

If I may ask how much was that and did you buy it new or pre owned? Also do a lot of these end up for substantially less on the gray market like rolex or omega?

16. dputydwg1 May 8, 2019

Would I buy one and pay for it? No. Would I wear a golf shirt with the logo on it for a free watch and wear it? Yes.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 8, 2019

I'd answer you but I'm too busy giving wealth signals to people on the yacht beside me...

;)

watch3s, Larry S, Dan S and 3 others like this.
  18. dputydwg1 May 8, 2019

Be careful!

19. FlyingSnoopy May 8, 2019

I actually like them very much. Beautiful finishing and very comfortable.
    Unfortunately very expensive.....

20. michael22 May 8, 2019

Splash fight! I hope it's waterproof.:thumbsup: