Do you wish Omega took itself more seriously?

Whats good enough for Vesper is good enough for me,

upload_2024-1-20_10-4-3.png
Who can argue with that? And why would you want to? :thumbsup:

Like 2
Good point.
In that regard they clearly are risk takers.
Especially when we take the full spectrum of offerings of the Speedmaster into perspective, from Moonswatches as entry level stuff and right on up to 321's and everything in between.
Also with the DSOTM and Snoopy's as outright novelties on a constant upgrade path:thumbsup:
The Bond watch novelties and the technical improvements like Co-axial, Silicone hair springs and Spirate.
I almost completely forgot the Titanium Ultra Deep and SS derivitives.
Speedmaster variety example you mentioned was very effective in breaking my resolve when I saw the 2022 57 re-issue in blue. Resistance was futile, I knew I was going to buy it. Did they really need to offer another speedmaster reference…no probably not…but I’m so happy they made the decision to do it.

Like 1
Yes it's a very nice watch but Omega sold 3 of them...

Dont' play words, you all know what I meant using low brand as a short cut to Omega 80's failure vs quartz.

Anyway I will stand to my first point. Omega needs novelties. Endless SE of the same watches goes anywhere long term. Even Rolex gets starting to have problem selling these days.

The rolex watches in steel, professionals and no professionals, have been sold with a discount until recently. I know, the daytona is another thing.

The rolex guys have done a smart strategy. They are paid for that. Sadly rolex is the grey market.

I believe you don't know a lot about omega.

Like 2
I got to walk around an Omega service centre once and probably 90% of the framed posters they had on the wall were of the Speedmaster. All the watches in the display cabinets were Speedmasters.

Take a look at what Omega watches still actually exist to purchase in 2024 that were part of the catalogue before the Swatch group buyout and you'll pretty much see that Omega = Speedmaster.

The only other two really respected lines from the past were the constellation which is now dead with the globemaster being it's spiritual successor (selling poorly too) and the seamaster which is a watch that gets a complete overhaul in looks every 20 or 30 years when Omega want to reinvent it's design then ends up looking barely anything like the model that came before it.

The Speedmaster is the only true time tested icon they've got going, it's also something I've heard many times before from wealthy watch collector's - how they have no interest in buying/collecting Omega watches beyond the Speedmaster.

The Seamaster professional 300m in it's current iteration (1994-present) kind of looses it's magic and appeal when you realise it's entire existence and popularity was because of a big fat paycheck to the Bond franchise to give it some screen time in a film.
Edited:

Like 3
I got to walk around an Omega service centre once and probably 90% of the framed posters they had on the wall were of the Speedmaster. All the watches in the display cabinets were Speedmasters.

Take a look at what Omega watches still actually exist to purchase in 2024 that were part of the catalogue before the Swatch group buyout and you'll pretty much see that Omega = Speedmaster.

The only other two really respected lines from the past were the constellation which is now dead with the globemaster being it's spiritual successor (selling poorly too) and the seamaster which is a watch that gets a complete overhaul in looks every 20 or 30 years when Omega want to reinvent it's design then ends up looking barely anything like the model that came before it.

The Speedmaster is the only true time tested icon they've got going, it's also something I've heard many times before from wealthy watch collector's - how they have no interest in buying/collecting Omega watches beyond the Speedmaster.

The Seamaster professional 300m in it's current iteration (1994-present) kind of looses it's magic and appeal when you realise it's entire existence and popularity was because of a big fat paycheck to the Bond franchise to give it some screen time in a film.

For 30 years? You’re saying the Seamaster 300m owes “its entire existence and popularity”, as in 100%, to the James Bond tie-in? The watch has no merits of its own that make it desirable? Everyone who buys one does so because they’re Bond fans and want to play spy?
I call BS on that - the scenario you’re describing is absurd and would not have lasted 30 years.
My guess is that for most people, the James Bond tie-in has absolutely nothing to do with why they like or bought a modern Seamaster 300m. Using another example, I sincerely doubt @DougPhx, as he mentioned in his post above, bought his blue Speedmaster ‘57 because he’s a George Clooney wannabe.

Like 7
Haven’t several other, vastly cheaper, watches also gone to space? There’s a bit of fantasy with the moonwatch narrative as well.

Absolutely. There is a long list of watches that have been space flown from just about every known brand.

However, there is a very big distinction on the old Speedmaster- it is certified for EVA. To wear in the vacuum of space. The X-33 for example is flight qualified but NOT EVA qualified. Big distinction there.

Like 1
Quoted member J!m
Absolutely. There is a long list of watches that have been space flown from just about every known brand.

However, there is a very big distinction on the old Speedmaster- it is certified for EVA. To wear in the vacuum of space. The X-33 for example is flight qualified but NOT EVA qualified. Big distinction there.
:thumbsdown:
about every known brand ?
Thus far wrist watches of 10 different brands have been used in spaceflight and directly exposed to the harsh outer space environment.
And the X-33 has been used during an EVA - spacewalk (August 2022 ISS Expedition crew 67)

Like 4

I think that you could say the same thing about a lot of Swiss watch brands. With Rolex, it's the Submariner (assuming that you could actually buy one from a boutique or AD). With JLC, it's the Reverso. With Patek, it's the Nautilus. Etc., etc., etc. Many of us on OF own Omega watches other than or in addition to the Speedmaster and by no means are all of them vintage models. I owned a Seamaster Professional diver third generation for more than 6 years, it was a spectacularly good watch, and any Bond tie in had nothiing to do with the reasons that I purchased it. It was a beautiful watch with excellent build quality, it ran flawlessly and kept great time, and it was a steal for the price. The only reason that I sold it was because I bought the new 300m with the sandwich dial which is turning out to be another winner. Funny how neither of my modern Omegas is a Speedmaster. What the hell was I thinking? :rolleyes:
Edited:

Like 4
For 30 years? You’re saying the Seamaster 300m owes “its entire existence and popularity”, as in 100%, to the James Bond tie-in? The watch has no merits of its own that make it desirable? Everyone who buys one does so because they’re Bond fans and want to play spy?
I call BS on that - the scenario you’re describing is absurd and would not have lasted 30 years.
My guess is that for most people, the James Bond tie-in has absolutely nothing to do with why they like or bought a modern Seamaster 300m. Using another example, I sincerely doubt @DougPhx, as he mentioned in his post above, bought his blue Speedmaster ‘57 because he’s a George Clooney wannabe.
I also own a 300m….sometimes I wear it simultaneously with the 57 and pretend I’m George Clooney playing Bond in a movie.

RI Omega fan is spot on, Bond had zero to do with influencing me to buy the reference and I’m confident that rings true for so many others as well. It’s not rocket science… it’s a damn fine watch with a superb movement and a beautiful dial, and even with the price increases still an incredible value. Omega deserves the business because they designed and manufactured a great watch that people want to buy not because of product placement in a movie. Why would a movie character motivate me to do anything? Anyway gotta go, I’m having a martini shaken not stirred and using my helium escape valve laser to make cutouts for my grandson to color after Sunday dinner.

Like 7
If I’m honest, I bought a 300M in spite of—not because of—the Bond tie-in. I’m fine with Bond movies, especially the older ones which were a part of my childhood, but I’m not a dedicated fan of the franchise. They’re just silly action movies with good soundtracks, and in my (very tangentially related) line of work I meet a few too many people who have been seduced by movies like that into pursuing a profession that’s ultimately a lot less sexy than Hollywood makes it seem. They end up being very tiresome and often wash out quickly, no matter what watch they’re wearing. :-/

Like 5
If I’m honest, I bought a 300M in spite of—not because of—the Bond tie-in. I’m fine with Bond movies, especially the older ones which were a part of my childhood, but I’m not a dedicated fan of the franchise. They’re just silly action movies with good soundtracks, and in my (very tangentially related) line of work I meet a few too many people who have been seduced by movies like that into pursuing a profession that’s ultimately a lot less sexy than Hollywood makes it seem. They end up being very tiresome and often wash out quickly, no matter what watch they’re wearing. :-/

Ok, hear me out: we get Omega to partner with AMC and bring back Rubicon and then make co-branded watches that celebrate the 99% of spy craft that is writing dossiers. And, clear HR policies for dating coworkers, etc.

Like 3
We need an Omega watch ideally suited to (and commemorating the brave women and men who dedicate their lives to) creating spreadsheets and pivot tables, researching the legalities of wiretaps, doing forensic accounting, and handling the paperwork for official passports.

Like 4
We need an Omega watch ideally suited to (and commemorating the brave women and men who dedicate their lives to) creating spreadsheets and pivot tables, researching the legalities of wiretaps, doing forensic accounting, and handling the paperwork for official passports.
Agreed! We can call it the Taskmaster - a METAS certified Master Chronometer of course. ;)

Like 4

So like... It's gotta have a slide rule bezel then?

Like 3
This thread has made me realize I don’t have enough opinions about watch brands. I guess I need to start taking things more seriously.

Like 7
I don't think so.

The Speedmaster being used in space is genuinely impressive and a huge part of the watch's heritage, whereas 007 is fantasy and kind of tacky.

The Speedmaster's space stuff shows the watch is a brilliant piece of engineering. I'm wearing a Speedmaster right now and I love its history.

I think I'm explaining this badly but Omega seem to think 007 is cool and think that'll rub off on the brand, but in reality it's a low class movie franchise. Not good for the brand and I bet the kind of people who wear 007 watches have a touch of Walter Mitty in their veins.

That's why I think just have 007 wearing the watches and try to associate the brand with things which are considered exceptional such as space travel and the posher sports.

I was poking fun at the specific comment about being a secret agent too, but I get what you mean. The movie franchise is a huge classic loved by many in the past, but less so now for sure. Modern day society is also going against the sometimes ridiculous masculinity that the movie franchise represents. So yea maybe it'll be time for Omega to move on soon. Although if the new 007 really turns out to be female and the movie becomes a hit, we'll probably see Omega continue.

:rolleyes:
In fact, astronaut Walter "Wally" Schirra, known for the First Omega In Space (MA-8 Sigma 7 in October 1962), bought an Omega Speedmaster CK2998 chronograph because of its sports car racing heritage & association.
Remember Schirra (and other astronauts) was a petrol head and owned several sports car among which an Austin Healey and a red 1963 Maserati 3500GT at the time, with a personalized license plate MSC - Manned Spacecraft Center.
Schirra enjoyed his Italian sportscars, in 1968 he bought a Maserati Ghibli and in 1971, Schirra bought a Maserati Bora.
(Screenshot: San Diego Air & Space Archives)
0_MaseratiGhibli.jpg

What's your point? I'm not talking about actual astronauts who bought the Speedy, but us common folk who most likely wont ever be an astronaut.

Like 3
I was poking fun at the specific comment about being a secret agent too, but I get what you mean. The movie franchise is a huge classic loved by many in the past, but less so now for sure. Modern day society is also going against the sometimes ridiculous masculinity that the movie franchise represents. So yea maybe it'll be time for Omega to move on soon. Although if the new 007 really turns out to be female and the movie becomes a hit, we'll probably see Omega continue.

I'd be really interested to see how this affects the sales numbers of the women's watches.

Like 1
I'd be really interested to see how this affects the sales numbers of the women's watches.

Same. This could be a good opportunity for Omega to focus their women's offerings on a specific line rather than the current mess it is now.

Like 1