Do you wish Omega took itself more seriously?

But by that logic, wouldn't all the space themed watches be saying "you're an astronaut too"?

I don't think so.

The Speedmaster being used in space is genuinely impressive and a huge part of the watch's heritage, whereas 007 is fantasy and kind of tacky.

The Speedmaster's space stuff shows the watch is a brilliant piece of engineering. I'm wearing a Speedmaster right now and I love its history.

I think I'm explaining this badly but Omega seem to think 007 is cool and think that'll rub off on the brand, but in reality it's a low class movie franchise. Not good for the brand and I bet the kind of people who wear 007 watches have a touch of Walter Mitty in their veins.

That's why I think just have 007 wearing the watches and try to associate the brand with things which are considered exceptional such as space travel and the posher sports.

But by that logic, wouldn't all the space themed watches be saying "you're an astronaut too"?
🙄
In fact, astronaut Walter "Wally" Schirra, known for the First Omega In Space (MA-8 Sigma 7 in October 1962), bought an Omega Speedmaster CK2998 chronograph because of its sports car racing heritage & association.
Remember Schirra (and other astronauts) was a petrol head and owned several sports car among which an Austin Healey and a red 1963 Maserati 3500GT at the time, with a personalized license plate MSC - Manned Spacecraft Center.
Schirra enjoyed his Italian sportscars, in 1968 he bought a Maserati Ghibli and in 1971, Schirra bought a Maserati Bora.
(Screenshot: San Diego Air & Space Archives)
0_MaseratiGhibli.jpg

I don't think so.

The Speedmaster being used in space is genuinely impressive and a huge part of the watch's heritage, whereas 007 is fantasy and kind of tacky.

The Speedmaster's space stuff shows the watch is a brilliant piece of engineering. I'm wearing a Speedmaster right now and I love its history.

I think I'm explaining this badly but Omega seem to think 007 is cool and think that'll rub off on the brand, but in reality it's a low class movie franchise. Not good for the brand and I bet the kind of people who wear 007 watches have a touch of Walter Mitty in their veins.

That's why I think just have 007 wearing the watches and try to associate the brand with things which are considered exceptional such as space travel and the posher sports.

Haven’t several other, vastly cheaper, watches also gone to space? There’s a bit of fantasy with the moonwatch narrative as well.

Haven’t several other, vastly cheaper, watches also gone to space? There’s a bit of fantasy with the moonwatch narrative as well.
True, Omega has milked the Moonwatch for all it's worth, but there is no fantasy involved in its initial selection by NASA, it being the first watch worn on the moon and its not insignificant role in saving the Apollo 13 crew. Along with the Submariner, it is arguably the most iconic wristwatch ever made.

There is still room in the Omega special addition world for a watch that will end all watches. A Moonraker SE... 😁
Edited:

There is still room in the Omega special additional world for a watch that will end all watches. A Moonraker SE... 😁
With Drax on the dial and Jaws on the case back! 😁

With Drax on the dial and Jaws on the case back! 😁
astronauts, space rockets, villains, 00 agents, fancy cars -- what's not to like? Put me down for two -- one to wear and one to store away for 50 years.

Thank goodness for Lois Chiles and Corrine Clery. They made watchable what was otherwise maybe the worst of the Bond movies.
1127855-0968114be93687cf96c574461cc4c3df.jpg
corinneclery2.jpg

True, Omega has milked the Moonwatch for all it's worth, but there is no fantasy involved in its initial selection by NASA, it being the first watch worn on the moon and its not insignificant role in saving the Apollo 13 crew. Along with the Submariner, it is arguably the most iconic wristwatch ever made.

The thing that made the Sub iconic is Bond... People forgot it with time but this watch was nowhere before being put on Connery's arm...

In 1995, Omega was a low brand selling mostly nothing after the quartz 80's hard times. Bond save the brand. And now the Diver 300 is an icon too. 3rd most sell watch on C24 last year. Sub and Speed behind.

People hate marketing, but marketing is a powerful thing. Nobody buy a 6 000$ watch to tell the time. Fantasy is the first engine to sell luxury stuff.

I remember 1995. I don't remember that Omega was regarded a low brand in 1995.

I like marketing. Marketing is great. Omega should use Bond to market its watches.

I’m talking about the watches themselves: putting Bond logos and fake military markings and little rocket ships on the watches.

I remember 1995. I don't remember that Omega was regarded a low brand in 1995.
I agree with this. I think that it would be more accurate to say that 1995 was the beginning of Omega's resurgence from the dark days of the quartz crisis. There is no question that the 300 diver that Brosnan wore in Goldeneye helped put Omega back in the minds of many consumers. It's certainly true that Omega made some less than memorable watches between let's say 1975 and 1995 and that the brand might very well have disappeared as a going concern had it not been for the merger of ASUAG and SSIH in 1983 which formed the holding company that eventually became the Swatch Group. That being said, even during that period I wouldn't have regarded Omega as a "low brand."
Edited:

I like marketing. Marketing is great. Omega should use Bond to market its watches.

I’m talking about the watches themselves: putting Bond logos and fake military markings and little rocket ships on the watches.
Hmmm, where have I seen this discussion before? Seems like I just read it. Oh, wait a minute! 😁

The thing that made the Sub iconic is Bond... People forgot it with time but this watch was nowhere before being put on Connery's arm...

In 1995, Omega was a low brand selling mostly nothing after the quartz 80's hard times. Bond save the brand. And now the Diver 300 is an icon too. 3rd most sell watch on C24 last year. Sub and Speed behind.

People hate marketing, but marketing is a powerful thing. Nobody buy a 6 000$ watch to tell the time. Fantasy is the first engine to sell luxury stuff.

A low brand in 90s?

The-most-complicated-piece---Omega-Speedmaster-Perpetual-Calendar_1.jpg

Yes it's a very nice watch but Omega sold 3 of them...

Dont' play words, you all know what I meant using low brand as a short cut to Omega 80's failure vs quartz.

Anyway I will stand to my first point. Omega needs novelties. Endless SE of the same watches goes anywhere long term. Even Rolex gets starting to have problem selling these days.

They are willing to take risks which isn’t cheap to do for a manufacturer of high cost products. Sometimes they hit a home run, sometimes they fall flat on their face.

I think this is an admirable quality for any business as long as it’s within reason and won’t break the bank.

If that means their brand is less somber and serious to some so be it. Sometimes tradition is comforting and is to be respected, other times it is just plain boring. I prefer risk takers and innovators.

They are willing to take risks which isn’t cheap to do for a manufacturer of high cost products. Sometimes they hit a home run, sometimes they fall flat on their face.

I think this is an admirable quality for any business as long as it’s within reason and won’t break the bank.

If that means their brand is less somber and serious to some so be it. Sometimes tradition is comforting and is to be respected, other times it is just plain boring. I prefer risk takers and innovators.

This is well put.

Good point.
In that regard they clearly are risk takers.
Especially when we take the full spectrum of offerings of the Speedmaster into perspective, from Moonswatches as entry level stuff and right on up to 321's and everything in between.
Also with the DSOTM and Snoopy's as outright novelties on a constant upgrade path👍
The Bond watch novelties and the technical improvements like Co-axial, Silicone hair springs and Spirate.
I almost completely forgot the Titanium Ultra Deep and SS derivitives.
Edited:

OP, no I don't. I think Rolex and other "luxury" brands take themselves too seriously. These are mass produced goods targeted to everyday buyers and can be purchased in any major city around the world. These aren't some ultra rare handmade tailormade item that takes years of fabrication and the customer to travel to their lone location in some small European town for the process and fitment. These watches are for fun. Spending more than $10 on something to tell the time better be because it's fun for you otherwise you just wasted a lot of money to tell the time seriously. If you're not having a good time you're wasting your time.