Do you wish Omega took itself more seriously?

The gimmicks (snoopy, bond, olympics) don't make me think that they don't have high aspirations in watch-making but like you said there's no subtly or elegance. The themes are antiquated or way too "on the nose." I could care less about rockets to the moon or snoopy, as I wasn't alive in the 60s and I'm not 7 years old. The olympics theme wouldn't really matter for the vast majority unless they were at that particular one somehow, in which case if you like the design enough to buy it, you've gotta live with this reference plastered on the watch that you don't care about. Bond is a fun concept but the references to bond are not subtle or elegant. The ultradeep black-light-only gimmick could have been cool if they made it sleek, like a little target or bullseye on the spot of the dial where they landed or something. But the three island scribbles that look like a little boy drew it on there with a crayon with the text that is equally juvenile along with the squiggly just ruins it.

ON the other hand:

The moonswatch indicates they're willing to sacrifice some brand equity. I can't imagine seeing that from most other brands trying to cement their place as being of the highest caliber - rolex, AP, vacheron, patek, lange, etc. I can understand why they did it from a mass-marketing standpoint, but it does make me think they don't have as much pride as one of the highest end watchmakers/designer when they allow their designs to be implemented in cheap, wrist-staining, "bioceramic" AKA plastic, unserviceable, throw-away trinkets whose chronograph buttons snap off. I don't understand the appeal at all.

Like 6
Are these for real?

Very much so.

I see the Snoopy and the DSOTM as being in the same league, it's just Omega's turf with the Speedy.

Like 1
Quoted member G'c
Lol from my post above I obviously don't mind the 007, whilst I respect your opinion.

To me the 007 association is totally ok as long as it's not tacky like the past minute hand with 007 logo. The NTTD to me strikes a pretty good balance, i.e., people do not have to like the 007 branding to buy the same. In fact, to me the big olympic logo on the recent tokyo olympics speedys is not my thing.

Having said that, perhaps omega can consider this: In the next bond film, continue to promote the hell out of the screen watch(es) that Bond uses. However, instead of having any 007 branding (even including bracelet/boxes), just release the watch "as-is". Omega can perhaps make the warranty cards printed in "MI:6" fonts but w/o any 007 logos. Given the online marketing and word of mouth, nobody would NOT know that the watch you are buying is associated with 007 even without these markings anyways.

I understand Omega pays a lot of money to buy the 007 rights (and the right to display logo on the products as part of the negotiation), however, an even more subtle approach will no doubt be something new for the franchise going forward.

Yes, I have no issue with Bond wearing an Omega, but just make it a normal Omega, or at least a new Omega in a normal box without any 007 branding.

Like 2
The Bond thing is so integral to the brand identity, I can’t imagine them ever leaning away from it—until 007 switches to G-Shock or something.

But it does get to the heart of my post. When Rolex does something cheesy and questionable (like the balloon watch), it’s sorta like a dad-joke: people might chortle behind the brand’s back, but it doesn’t (I don’t think) damage consumer sentiment about the brand itself. Their baseline is serious, consistent, steady—one could even say to the point of being boring.

With Omega, it’s not a dad-joke: sometimes it feels like a grown-ass man doing full-hearted cosplay. Look at me!—I’m a spy! (Or an astronaut!) It would be in better taste—in my thoroughly irrelevant opinion—if they could mass-produce a watch that got featured in a Bond movie without putting all kinds of goofy Bond branding on it—make-believe British military markings and 007 logos and $h!t. Isn’t that how it used to be?They’d still get the upshot from the Hollywood tie-in, but it would all feel less juvenile and costumey.

The Snoopy watch—fine. I’m not the customer for that watch, and there is relevance there for NASA. But the little rocket thing? I’m all about having a sense of humor and not believing your own hype or taking yourself too seriously. But that is SO tacky and goofy. Enough that I’m actually feeling slightly embarrassed by it. (Which probably means I’m too emotionally invested in Omega to begin with—that’s my problem, not theirs.) It’s like watching your kid accidentally score a goal for the wrong team.

Yep we're totally aligned on this.

Like 2
How serious does Omega have to be when they can break the watch internet by having one of their ambassadors be photographed with one of their watches with a WHITE dial?

Like 6
Omega-Speedmaster-CK2915-1-Advert-1958.jpg

I love the Speedmaster. I love the 60's space race because, as a kid I was privileged to watch it unfold and was inspired. But, "never the twain shall meet" in my mind.

I was 12 in July of 1969. I'm one of the younger ones of that generation who followed the effort to accomplish the moon landings. I appreciate that it was the Speedmaster that was chosen to be there. How much longer can the NASA/Moon Watch thing be milked until it fades from living memory though?

I'm enthused about the above ad because I admire the original dynamic auto racing vibe of the Speedmaster. I can't envision being any part of a moon shot beyond paying for it in taxes. I'll never take up competitive auto racing either, but I can envision being a bit lead-footed while traversing the broad expanse of West Texas highways.

Like 4
Yes, I have no issue with Bond wearing an Omega, but just make it a normal Omega, or at least a new Omega in a normal box without any 007 branding.

Wait whats wrong with branding on the box though?

I agree that the earlier bond watches with 007 all over the dial or on a hand was bleh.

The NTTD and 60th are great though IMO. No obvious 007 branding on the front. The Arrow on the NTTD and "60" on the 60th are both subtle enough to me.

Like 3

I agree that the earlier bond watches with 007 all over the dial or on a hand was bleh.

The NTTD and 60th are great though IMO. No obvious 007 branding on the front. The Arrow on the NTTD and "60" on the 60th are both subtle enough to me.
Spectre SM300 also doesn’t have Bond branding on the front, I think they’re really getting those Bond releases right in recent years and making some great stuff

Like 7
Spectre SM300 also doesn’t have Bond branding on the front, I think they’re really getting those Bond releases right in recent years and making some great stuff

^^^ this IMHO

Like 2
I want to see Omega do an update on this design.

IMG_3338.png

They have a year to do it.

Like 6
That's a teeny tiny watch right there, especially for a century ago!

Like 2
I want to see Omega do an update on this design.

IMG_3338.png

They have a year to do it.

Heheh would be great for "accidentally" flipping people off.

Like 2
I think Omega is a perfect blend of being serious and fun - including the tiny Snoopy is fine. And the Moonswatch is a Swatch after all. They are venturing away from limited editions and stopping the stuff like 007 hands. I love their designs and their materials and the branding. Go to Breitling website - NFTs, free warranty extension, free watch band with purchase. There’s a brand with some nice watches and a great history but can’t seem to take itself seriously.

Like 3

It's like they're trying to say you're a secret agent too.

I think a much stronger brand strategy would be to not mention 007 at all, and just have him wearing the watches.

It's sort of like when you discover someone has a PhD, but has never mentioned it before, and doesn't use the Dr. title. It hits more impressive than the guy who mentions it within two minutes of meeting you.

Like 6

I think a much stronger brand strategy would be to not mention 007 at all, and just have him wearing the watches.

It's sort of like when you discover someone has a PhD, but has never mentioned it before, and doesn't use the Dr. title. It hits more impressive than the guy who mentions it within two minutes of meeting you.
Couldn't agree more. Having the 007 logo anywhere on the watch is just a bit tacky. But having said that, the Bond 60th Anniversary SMP is such a gorgeous watch that I might just...just... forgive the case back animation.

Like 2

But by that logic, wouldn't all the space themed watches be saying "you're an astronaut too"?

Like 2
How serious does Omega have to be when they can break the watch internet by having one of their ambassadors be photographed with one of their watches with a WHITE dial?

Good point:thumbsup:
But I'm not so sure they broke the internet:thumbsdown:
Comparatively speaking I thought the Moonswatch broke the internet, but we are probably geting ahead of ourselves here as Omega hasn't achieved anything with a Daniel Craig Speedy. Yet;)
Daniel Craig.
I like that:)
Rolex has the JC, and Omega has the DC::facepalm1::

Like 1
Latest Bond watches were not bad. Still Omega made specials Bond watches to make the buzz on each movies (and increase margins to regular Diver 300). Now a lot of people are trying to sell their NTTD ; and can't instead cutting it to fair prices. Bond 60 the same.

Remembering I said a friend who cannot get a Bond 60 to an Omega's AD. "Don't worry, you will find plenty of those in a year". Too many specials edition kills specials editions.

And at the end of the day, those watches are still inspired by the original who became an icon with "no help". Nothing new. I can't agree more with those here wanting Bond with a regular watch. Nothing fancy, just a great watch by it self. Like the 2541 was in 1995.

And a good Bond movie would be appreciated for a change :)

Like 4
:coffee:
Desire needs to be created...

Like 1

That's how it used to be until the last two movies if I recall. The actor in the film just wore a piece from the regular catalogue.

I guess they changed strategy because those older Bond limited editions that were not in the movies didn't sell well.

Like 3