Do You Wear a Watch to Pick Up a Watch from the Watchmaker?

Not trying to find a cure for cancer here. Was picking up a watch this morning and the question did come to mind.

Should I wear that really nice one that he so wonderfully serviced? But then, will I just jam it in my coat pocket to wear this newly repaired piece?

Finally I settled on wearing my Baltic… and it went into that coat pocket.

If you are lucky enough to visit the watchmaker in person, what do you do?

IMG_8853.jpeg IMG_8855.jpeg IMG_8856.jpeg IMG_8857.jpeg It’s a Tissot Quartz, but the watchmaker put the same amount of care in it as he would in a 1960s Speedmaster.

Like 12
I have two wrists, so that should answer the question!

Like 13
Absolutely!! I find it’s a way to build up rapport and show a greater shared interest in mechanical watches. I tend to bring an Omega service box to pop my worn watch into for the way home.

Like 1
I think the more important question is if you wear a 2nd watch when you are visiting a watchmaker for a potential drop off.
On one hand if its a pretty standard watch dropped off, you still have one on your hand. However if the watchmaker decides he can't fix it or you don't like the wait times, you may be stuck double wristing.

I usually drop off 2 or 3 for every one that I pick up. :eek:

Like 6
Not trying to find a cure for cancer here. Was picking up a watch this morning and the question did come to mind.

Should I wear that really nice one that he so wonderfully serviced? But then, will I just jam it in my coat pocket to wear this newly repaired piece?

Finally I settled on wearing my Baltic… and it went into that coat pocket.

If you are lucky enough to visit the watchmaker in person, what do you do?

IMG_8853.jpeg IMG_8855.jpeg IMG_8856.jpeg IMG_8857.jpeg It’s a Tissot Quartz, but the watchmaker put the same amount of care in it as he would in a 1960s Speedmaster.

Just double up like I do.

Like 1
As with @gbesq, I usually have 2-4 watches on me as I go to pick up another 2-4 watches. :confused:

Like 5
I never leave the house watchless. When I pick up a watch at my watchmaker, he always places the serviced watch in a new case.

Like 3
Never. Out of a watchmaker/AD, first place I would look to stole watches from walking clients.

Nothing on wrist. An empty box and the watch alone in the less obvious pocket.

Like 2
I have a padded watch case that I use to transport watches to and from the watchmaker -- a lot better than "jamming it in my coat pocket"!

Like 3
I have a padded watch case that I use to transport watches to and from the watchmaker -- a lot better than "jamming it in my coat pocket"!
How true Donn. And I should know better. I have a bunch of cases that I’ve made that just sit empty. But hey, it’s Monday here.

Like 3
If you're picking up one watch, I mean, why wouldn't you wear two watches leaving the watchmaker? It's not rocket science.

Usually I’m running errands, coming back from gym ect. so I’ve got a watch on already. I keep the repair with the ticket and CC receipt in the PP envelope until I get home. Then I file the papers and wear the watch for at least a week.

Like 1
I have two wrists, so that should answer the question!
This.

I usually ship my watches off to my watch maker, so to modify your question a bit to make my answer fit- I do typically wear a watch when I go to FedEx to ship one off to my watch maker anndd I do wear a watch when I eventually sign for the returning one :D

However, the one time I actually visited my watch maker for an in person drop off, yes, I doubled up. I wore my Rolex 14060 on one wrist and the watch I was dropping off for servicing on the other. :cool:

IMG_5156.jpg IMG_9827.JPG

Like 10
I wear two watches when dropping off and wear a watch when picking up if driving a car there. My watchmaker is an hour away so I have taken to using the opportunity for a motorcycle ride. In that case I wear a cheaper watch and store expensive watches in my bag. I don’t ride with expensive watches so it doesn’t get destroyed if I go down.

Like 6
Short answer.
No.
What's the point? Besides, that's the only time a phone is probably a requirement to tell the time.

Like 1
I normally have any ‘new to me’ serviced and checked over. I tend to collect and get the bracelet sized to save me a job, If I have bought or added a new or after market bracelet option I will get that sized as a favour. So I normally wear a watch with a similar bracelet to give them an easy sighter on the number of links to remove, I might also wear/ take something they might be interested in as it is nice to have a chat a get opinions on stuff from an expert.

Like 3
So Today it was a 145.012 which was also moving to a Forstner bracelet…
Swiss Time Services were as helpful as ever and a chap dropped off another more modern Omega while I was there. For sure for vintage Simon Freese remains a top choice and I know they are all in good cooperative contact.
Edited:

Like 2
It's very important to wear a watch to pick up a watch. It's insurance to make sure you only come home with the one watch you intended on bringing home.

Doesn't always work, but it makes you think twice about wearing three watches, (no disrespect to BG Aldrin.)

Like 2