Do you still have the first watch you bought as a collector?

I do, although perhaps it wasn't really my first watch as a collector. It became the first watch in my collection very soon after I bought it.

I’d inherited a gold plated quartz Seamaster from my grandfather. He bought it in 1983. Nothing very special but when I lost it I got a nice payout because it was on a 9k Milanese bracelet. I decided to replace it with another Seamaster, but I decided to go for an automatic and plumped for a De Ville. I still had a fair bit of change from my insurance payout, and thought I might find a gold bracelet for it some time, but never did. I’d caught the bug and decided I wanted to buy more watches instead.

I like the De Ville and wear it quite often; it’s a fairly regular choice for the weekend, but every now and again I think maybe I should sell it on.

Why?

Because I now know I paid a hefty newbie tax on it and it annoys me. I also know that I wouldn’t have chosen this watch if I knew then what I know now and I’m reminded of those irritating facts when I wear it. If I move it on I know I’ll take a financial hit but it was bought with easy money so I shouldn’t moan. I’m not particularly sentimental about the watch but it was the one that got my interest started so there is something a little special about it.

Do you still have your first “collected” watch and if so, what’s its story?

Interesting topic!

My answer really depends on what you define as the first collected watch. I still have the first watch that was given to me by then girlfriend (now wife) that resparked my interest in watches. The first watch that I bought for myself was a movies that I eventually gave away to my brother on his wedding day as I started to learn more and progressed from pure aesthetic quartz watches to more mechanical and history driven.

I still have my first vintage watch which my wife bought for me as a present when I graduated from grade school. It is the omega I post in here often and one that I researched a long time, lusted over and spoke to other established members on this forum like @ConElPueblo who mentored me before purchasing. I have since wore it to my brothers wedding, the birth of my child and countless holidays and family gatherings. Ill never sell it. Every other watch will go before that one. I too paid to much but I am not one bit upset about it as I believe collecting anything isn’t about finding deals but rather finding watches of relative rarity who’s condition is top of the line for the price segment that you are able to collect in. The 2849 certainly is not that but as all things go you learn and grow as you go. If the watches have stories that makes it even better.

This was my first as a collector and I still have it

upload_2022-3-6_8-41-34.jpeg

I've had a Seiko dancing hands since I was around 12 and as a kid it was the most fascinating thing to me. However it slowly started to occur to me that the real thing is mechanical watches.
During my studies, around 2003, I went into a furniture / design shop and the owner had a showcase there with about 10 vintage watches. I completely fell for one of them, as it seemed very unusual to me.
We got into a discussion and he apparently was a serious collector and this was his overflow.
He was very open and explained to me that the watch I was interested in had been polished, did not have its original case back, wrong colored chrono hand and a date wheel from another model. Since all these things did not worry me much at that time, I went ahead and bought it. Needles to say that I was eating dry rice and buns for the rest of the month, but I had my first "collector" watch. A habit I would repeat regularly in the years to come... 😀
Oh, the watch cost me around 200 EUR and came with a period correct Seiko bracelet, but I added the original fishbone later. What bugs me is that next to it was a perfect black bullhead for some 50 EUR more, but it just didn't catch my eye at that time.

Bullhead.jpg
Edited:

Almost 10 years ago is when I bought my first luxury watch. I had a tough time deciding which brand made the most sense when considering value, perception, and appearance. I thought it was crazy to spend this amount on a watch. Back then, had no idea about tritium or luminova but I wanted a sapphire case back. Ended up with the 3572.50. And yes, I still own it.

PXL_20220228_215508331.jpg

YES !! 👍
bought around 1983 , price: 5 Deutsche Mark (hands relumed but radium-relumed 😉, the only mistake I ever made - concerning watches..)
Bulova Mm.JPG

Some other first watch stories in this thread as well: https://omegaforums.net/threads/the-one-that-started-it-all.83208/

The one that started it all for me was this one:
334682-51a6672b07b479de1249b6fbe3185bd7.jpg

The question is what do you consider to be the first "collected" watch?

If it is the first watch, then it is this Alfex I got as a child:
alfex.JPG

or is it the first watch you bought just for pleasure? Then, it is this Audemars Frères:
DSCF1226.JPG

Whatsoever, I still have both.

The question is what do you consider to be the first "collected watch?

I mean the first watch that you acquired with the intention that it was to build a collection.

First watch I bought for myself, no. The battery died and I threw it out.

As a collector?

I'm not a collector, so can't answer that one.

I mean the first watch that you acquired with the intention that it was to build a collection.
Then I have to change my answer: Like @Darlinboy I never had the intention to build a collection!

I still have mine, pictured below. Essentially, I bought it after some cursory internet research as I was working a corporate job with a suit and tie and belt and shoes were covered, but lacked a watched. So, to eBay I went and found this this old and unbeknownst to me at the time re-dialed IWC, Cal. 84, IIRC. I've thought about selling it, but never have given that it won't fetch much and has sentimental value.

4ruqu59.jpg

For wrist watches.....this circa 1955 Seamaster with cal 500, came with a 1st gen Omega JB Champion bracelet, too.

Omega Bracelet.JPG Seamaster.jpeg

Discovered this Forum shortly thereafter, first or second post probably about this one.

Yep. I wanted a MK11 but could only afford this. I think I got it in 2003-4.

IMG_2642.JPG