Forums Latest Members

Do you have a watch routine?

1. Walrus Jun 29, 2020

I recently started a 9a-5p job. It’s still a treatment facility so I do get roped into 4p-12a and 12a-8a but for the most part it’s like normal human hours. I’m usually up at 6:45a so I can have coffee and watch either the financial news channel or the other news about ripping everything down. Anyway I’m finding I’m putting a solid 7-8 minutes into which watch I’ll wear. If it’s very humid I’ll avoid or test certain vintage watches. If I have a meeting I might wear a Chrono to time it. Heavy rain, usually a diver. If the days duties will take me to the worst parts of the city I may wear something I can hand over without too much pain although tbh most of my time is spent in what most would consider bad areas and I’ve never had a problem, I’m walking around with a big bag of medication half the time but most of it’s olanzipine, trazadone etc nothing of any street value but the people in these areas pick up pretty quickly what’s going on and they know what I’m doing and many are already greeting me with a friendly hello.

Still I have a few things I take into consideration each day. I didn’t think working regular hours would bring about this change but yeah, even with a minor watch collection compared to many here that few minutes thinking about what watch to put on is definitely part of the routine now, even if I wear the same watch all week I still ruminate on it as it has become ingrained in a short period of time.

Spruce and DaveK like this.
  2. SkunkPrince Jun 29, 2020

I don't think about it much. I wear what I feel like and try to keep it on for a week or more. Most of the time cycle through the Railmaster LE, the WatchCo Seamaster 300, and Seamasterr Professional 2254.50. My 1917 Omega "trench" came out so nicely I'll wear that one fairly often as well.

Then I have a bunch that get worn rarely, like my pink gold Lemania, and my dad's Croton Aquamatic watch.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  3. Walrus Jun 29, 2020

Maybe it’s just my OCD kicking up

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  4. SkunkPrince Jun 29, 2020

I'm sure you're not alone. :D

Walrus likes this.
  5. ChiefMark Jun 29, 2020

I wind all my watches every morning so I don’t have to set them to wear them, especially day-date types. Except my Seiko Sports 5, which doesn’t have a manual wind option.
    Generally rotate through my watches, wearing one for a day or two, a week at most. Enjoy the variety. I don’t wear my grandfather’s WWII Elgin much. It’s sooo small by modern standards. I also don’t wear the G-Shock I got from Uncle Sam in the Navy very often. It’s a great beater watch though.

Walrus likes this.
  6. ras47 Jun 29, 2020

Tuesdays are #SpeedyTuesday.
    Casio G-Shock if I'm on the facility floor at work, or if I'm in the yard moving trailers.
    Otherwise I switch back and forth between the Speedmaster and my Rolex GMT Master II 16710 BLRO.

ChiefMark likes this.
  7. ExpiredWatchdog Jun 30, 2020

Rain?? What is this rain you speak of? We don't have that in our language.

My selection of watches highly depends on what I was wearing yesterday and is still running and easy to get to. I've been wearing a TAG Aquaracer Professional three-hander for the last few weeks and will continue for at least the next. I (usually) don't pick my watch to match my schedule, but this weekend we spent three days in Carmel and Monterey so we picked our new TAGs to celebrate the occasion. Both went back into storage when we returned (and I grabbed the said TAG from the winder).

Walrus likes this.
  8. connieseamaster Jun 30, 2020

I work very hard to make sure I'm not picking up the same watch day after day (otherwise I'd have to start selling, quelle horreur). Other than a beater Seiko for inspection days, and knowing which watches can't deal with water, I try to vary my choice every day and will definitely try to experiment when it comes to watch and outfit combos (at least before I was working from home 95% of the time)

Dsloan, WatchCor and Walrus like this.
  9. Rman Jun 30, 2020

Get excited about watch.
    Buy watch.
    Sleep with watch, fondle and stare at watch.
    Watch goes on wrist for days, weeks or months.
    Watch goes in drawer sometimes.
    Watch goes in safety deposit.
    Get excited about new watch...

vintage hab, Vitezi, ras47 and 3 others like this.
  10. Walrus Jun 30, 2020

I find sometimes I talk to people about watches and within a couple minutes they look like this... D24D7F1A-484D-4781-BE85-6302E03CE8C3.jpeg

Wabi-sabi and WatchCor like this.
  11. Waltesefalcon Jun 30, 2020

I really only wear a watch when I'm going to work. I keep ten wrist watches in a box and just wear whatever strikes my fancy in the morning. I don't take anything else into consideration.

12. abrod520 Jun 30, 2020

I do much the same, if it's sunny and not too hot I'll wear whatever. Rainy is a nice excuse for a modern diver; hot / humid weather calls for a modern watch on a NATO (I'm not much for bracelets).

13. WatchCor Jun 30, 2020

I do have a routine. Weekly or biweekly I take care to wind every watch and flip it over. As somebody mentioned, I take into consideration what am I doing today and what's the weather outside .I bike to work, work is inside though. If I am on call or have a long day in the OR I might wear a beater/diver. If I get to do the rounds or do ambulatory visits I get to wear whatever I fancy. Even if its a bit fancy.

This is so true, my work has people spending whole lunch breaks discussing the best bicycle choices or what gear, tyre or component choices they made for their second, third or fourth bike.

But start to talk about watches , it gets awkward. Needless to say I don't talk watches on the job anymore. :rolleyes:

Walrus likes this.
  14. ras47 Jun 30, 2020

Reminds me of that parody of the Apple Product Cycle. :)

ChiefMark likes this.
  15. The Father Went out for smokes in ‘78 not seen since Jun 30, 2020

Wind it before I set it down after work and when I pick it before. Always next to the G19 so I forget neither.

ChiefMark likes this.
  16. NGO1 Jun 30, 2020

I wear whichever my daughter selected the night before. She puts her mark on them. Working at home w an 8yo.

that’s right boys, dark side of the moon and grand lange 1 on custom rubber...band strap.

8E22E7B3-789A-42B4-BF90-F8B0BBC60718.jpeg