How many "serious" watches do you have?

Posts
452
Likes
438
For these purposes, I'm going to define "serious" as worth over $1,000. I'm curious as to how many people have, and how many your wear on a regular basis.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
Are we talking Timex, Invicta, or both?
Edited:
 
Posts
13,915
Likes
54,106
Most of my watches are serious. They occasionally however crack bad puns and dad jokes.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
Nice try, IRS or whoever you are.
Lol. Yeah, all my watches actually belong to Erric. I have his address and telephone number if anybody wants it. 😁
Edited:
 
Posts
2,994
Likes
4,749
It is hard to know. Are rusty old chronographs serious watches? (edit: the sellers of used rusted parts online certantly think so.)

I find it hard to place a value on my collection. A consignment seller would lowball the values, then maximize them to whomever was willing.

Of course I could look at sold listings. Perhaps I could get that. More likely such things if listed by an inexperienced seller would net perhaps 1/10th of what ever it is.

Tastes also change. So what is over 1K now might have been 69.86 when I bought it at a Hollywood pawn shop in the early 1990s. How easy is it to shift a 2K probably 230 year old enamel painted watch?

I like simple A Schild three hander watches from 1940s and 1950s. I can not think of a more serious watch. And they are likely to last 500 years, and may in some future time sell for more than 1000 fiat semolian sesteri.
 
Posts
43
Likes
215
From memory I have a dozen. 3 Omega, 3 Rolex, 5 Tudor, 1 JLC.

They get worn semi regularly though I do have favourites.
 
Posts
16,900
Likes
48,108
If $1000 is a serious watch.

Well I have 10-15 more serious watches than I had in 2020 and I have only bought one watch since then…..😗
 
Posts
8,818
Likes
62,459
All of mine are serious till the Scotch gets poured and then the knuckle-heads in the bunch start with the jokes and become rather boorish, then the songs start and all *ell breaks loose. The 2 Rolex’s get ganged up on fairly quickly, the Scotch is never good enough for them and they become rather snotty.

They do give as well as they get…
 
Posts
24,798
Likes
55,079
For these purposes, I'm going to define "serious" as worth over $1,000. I'm curious as to how many people have, and how many your wear on a regular basis.
And please include your address and safe combination in your response.
 
Posts
7,084
Likes
56,816
View attachment 1746400
I've been Orient-ed all day on a Monday.

Edited to add that I became disoriented and posted today's WRUW choice in this thread.
Edited:
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
I just compared my watch collecting spreadsheets to my retirement planning spreadsheets, and the answer is: too many.
 
Posts
10,068
Likes
57,378
I just compared my watch collecting spreadsheets to my retirement planning spreadsheets, and the answer is: too many.
I thought that was the same spreadsheet?
 
Posts
3,651
Likes
24,755
I thought that was the same spreadsheet?

This may be my favorite quip I've ever received on OF. 😁

It hits too close to home.