Forums Latest Members

Do people keep their collections out of the sun?

1. john_coburg Sep 8, 2020

My East-North-East facing window probably generates 2-3hrs of direct sunlight on to my glass-topped watch box. At least, i think it's glass, as it's cold to the touch. Thinking about potential bezel and dial fading, my elementary physics isn't so good... how much colour-zapping UV gets through the glass? Nothing worth concerning about? Clearly, you don't get sunburn in a car, so i suspect the vast majority is blocked, but it might be that different parts of the spectrum (that still deteriorate colour) gets through...? Paint on walls gradually fades when exposed to sun, so windows clearly don't block everything.
    Does anyone have any thoughts, or better still, experience...? They look lovely illuminated by natural light, but perhaps i'm slowly ruining them.

20200905_101459.jpg 20200905_101431.jpg

2. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Sep 8, 2020

Point one - you can get sunburnt in a car.

Point two - wearing them is the same as what you have with a few hours of sun above

Point three - put a curtain up

3. Evitzee Sep 8, 2020

I wouldn't be comfortable with exposing my watches to 2-3 hours of direct sun per day. Even when you wear a watch you probably aren't giving them that much direct sunlight on the dial.

Edited Sep 8, 2020
    janice&fred likes this.
  4. wristpirate Sep 8, 2020

It's called "investing" in tropical dials

5. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Sep 8, 2020

Easy exposure to thieves would worry me more :unsure:

Larry S, Scooterino36, LesXL and 2 others like this.
  6. janice&fred Sep 8, 2020

I remember some of the guys at the outdoor flea markets in manhattan had watch crystals pop off due to the sun heating up the watches.

Scooterino36 likes this.
  7. john_coburg Sep 8, 2020

Thank you all. Methinks a rethink is in order. Perhaps the windowed box for Autumn/Winter (when the sun barely comes out), and a covered box for Spring/Summer? Or you really think this should be covered up all the time if i want to avoid degradation...?

8. Professor Sep 8, 2020

Look into this sort of product.
    https://www.windowfilmdepot.com/product/3m-sun-control-window-film-neutral-series-residential/

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Adh...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
    "【TRANSPARENT & UV BLOCKING】 2 mil Clear Safety Film can block out UV rays in some degree, reducing fading and aging of interior furnishings. Since it maintains the transparency of the window, you can now enjoy the warmth of the sunlight without having to worry about harmful UV rays."

Dan S likes this.
  9. john_coburg Sep 8, 2020

10. llvhhui Sep 8, 2020

They are watches, not vampires...
    But I think most people keep their collection in a drawer or something.

Readiness77 and janice&fred like this.
  11. TimeODanaos Sep 8, 2020

Consider whether a small piece of the UV film on the watch box glass might be an easier undertaking than putting it on all your windows...

SpikiSpikester likes this.
  12. alam Sep 8, 2020

some of the things I’d keep under direct sunlight are tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, peas, beans, corn and squash as they benefit from being grown in areas with full sun... but not my watches... :)

13. Dan S Sep 8, 2020

As noted above, much of the UV will be blocked by the window glass, but not all, and over the years it can cause damage.

14. Lurk41 Sep 8, 2020

I would not use that kind of product without knowing what kind of wavelength it blocks. UVB light is already blocked by glass, but UVA is not (it is why you can still get sunburn behind a glass after a long exposure, and UVA are the most dangerous one for the skin). So, a film that "can block out UV rays in some degree" may be just a complete waste of money...

15. SkunkPrince Sep 8, 2020

You know when you go into the art museum and they say "no flash pictures"? Yes, even the flash can create damage. Now think about the sun.

Cover 'em up. It's not like you spend hours gazing lovingly at them (I hope!).

Edited Sep 8, 2020
    Dan S likes this.
  16. LesXL Sep 8, 2020

I think you need to change house :)

That said, not sure if the boxes get warm too, inside I mean. I put a glass cloth on top of my watches in my box that has no glass lol

Dan S likes this.
  17. ZIELSZIEK Sep 8, 2020

I once had a Seiko on a windowsill where it got very hot and it made me reconsider where I keep my watches. No damage was done though.
    And now that I think of it I remember that thread with the Pocket Watch that had the dial flake off due to being left in the sun.
    My watches sit in the drawer when not worn. I doubt UV exposure can do anything short term. Heat probably can, but only in extreme cases. Where I live it gets as hot as 36 degrees Celsius in the summer.
    If I will recall that thread I will link it here.

18. Scooterino36 Sep 8, 2020

This was my first thought as well. I want any potential thieves to at least have to work for it.

DaveK likes this.
  19. Timetron Sep 8, 2020

Usually any museum would protect their collections from high temperature and UV light...

Edited Sep 8, 2020
  20. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Sep 8, 2020

I had one come in that someone had worn to an outdoor baseball game, and while sitting in the sun the middle of the game the crystal partially blew out. It was a rather thin domed mineral crystal, and a circle that comprised about 2/3 of the surface area of the crystal blew out, with the outer perimeter near the crystal gasket staying intact.

lindo, DaveK and janice&fred like this.