Forums Latest Members

Stolen watch data, how people keep their watches safe, and more

1. subregister Aug 26, 2020

Reported stolen watch stats are based on the Alpha Hands stolen watch registry, which contains over 10k pieces, watch safekeeping info from surveys on IG and forums, and a bit of other info from the DoJ.

Buy safe
    Stay safe
    Keep your watches safe

oh, caveats on the data at bottom.

Top manufacturers
    Rolex: 31%
    Breguet: 14%
    Breitling: 4%
    TAG Heuer: 4%

Top locations
    United States: 88%
    UK: 5%
    Netherlands: 2%
    Italy: 1%

Where watches are kept
    Bank safe deposit box: 50%
    Hidden/sock drawer: 30%
    Heavy home safe/TL-15+: 13%
    Lightweight home safe: 7%

How watches are insured
    Individually insured/personal articles: 44%
    None/you live dangerously: 39%
    Renters/homeowners: 11%
    Blanket policy: 6%

For watches stolen while out of the house (*very few responses to date)
    Violent theft or threat of: 40%
    Non-violent/grab-and-run: 30%
    Didn’t know until later/pickpocket: 30%

Other information
    When reading data 'property crime/theft’ (larceny) generally indicates there is no force or threat of force. ‘Robbery’ includes the use or threat of force. ‘Burglaries’ refer to entering a building with intent to commit a crime.
    For the United States [1]
    - Seasonal patterns do exist for burglaries; lowest burglary rates are in winter, followed by spring and then fall
    - Robbery rates do not have seasonal variations

I will continue to aggregate more information, particularly:
    - Breakdown of theft/robbery circumstances (in shipping, from home (and if in safe/type if so), while traveling, violent/non-violent, etc.). For those that have inquired, I have not been able to find statistics on the times when a thief is in a home and violence/threat is used to have the homeowner open a safe
    - Locations
    - If any other questions, let me know!

Caveats
    Data are *wildly* dependent on a number of factors, including the sources from which I’ve aggregated (manufacturer, location, language...), the subset/demographics of individuals reporting, value of watch, pieces of information reported, etc. As an example, to date I have had much more success in the United States obtaining data from different sources, which is seen the SKU location mix. Hopefully I can get this to normalize over time.

Statistics on manufacturer/location are on are based upon quantity of watches (not total value or the number of thefts/robberies, in the case when more than one watch was stolen in an event). Survey responses have low response rates and are not particularly meaningful.

[1] https://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/spcvt.pdf

2. Widows Son Aug 27, 2020

Hmmmmm..... burglary generally involves a theft from an occupied structure, or a structure that could be occupied(such as a house). Breaking and entering usually involves a detached building or business. Use of a weapon or force against a person invites a whole host of additional charges.

3. subregister Aug 31, 2020

@Widows Son - correct, burglary generally involves theft (which does not involve force or threat of), though not required. It doesn't involve entering a structure with intent to commit a crime (it need not be occupied, however).
    Robbery is much more serious, involving taking property with force of threat of force.

Stay safe, everyone-

4. OmegaRody Aug 31, 2020

Interesting information and data about watches theft.

subregister likes this.
  5. subregister Sep 1, 2020

One more interesting nugget...
    Of stolen watches reports captured by one law enforcement agency, only 6% (!) of pieces reported stolen had a known serial number.

Make sure you have a record of your serial numbers! :thumbsup:

ChiefMark likes this.
  6. ChiefMark Sep 1, 2020

Keeping an online / offsite inventory including photographs & serial numbers of your valuables is key. You should also keep a set of scans of all your important documents- birth records, passports, insurance, mortgages, etc.

As if criminals weren’t enough of a problem, fires and floods are equally devastating.

I’m amazed at the sock drawer plan... it’s very commonly used for watches, jewelery and firearms - and equally stupid for each.

Anyone who can spend a few grand on a timepiece should seriously consider a real safe. Not a “Residential Security Container”, a safe. Minimum TL-15 / European Grade 1.

7. subregister Sep 3, 2020

Another fun fact...
    For a major U.S. metro over a 14 year period with serial numbers:
    Theft (outside home): 57%
    Home burglaries: 25%
    Burglary from vehicle: 7%
    Robbery: 2%

8. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Oct 7, 2021

Bill Sohne, pascs and noelekal like this.
  9. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 8, 2021

What a great story! Being a big Randy Bachman fan (more BTO that the Guess Who), it's great to see that he is getting his old guitar back!

Bill Sohne, DaveK and noelekal like this.
  10. tad Oct 8, 2021

A safe hooked up to the mains, if tampered with will fry the perpetrator.

upload_2021-10-8_20-8-32.jpeg

ChiefMark likes this.
  11. Canuck Oct 8, 2021

There might be lots of second last places someone might check around my domicile. But the last place they would check, would be a place they wouldn’t even think of checking!

6B2E1F7F-F1C3-42AC-9B72-E9A6B8BFD078.jpeg

Farmer, DaveK, Duracuir1 and 2 others like this.
  12. MRC Oct 8, 2021

Now you've made it pubic it would be an in convenience to store watches there. We await your suggestions on watch cleaning with baited anticipation.

Duracuir1 likes this.
  13. ChiefMark Oct 8, 2021

That's funny. :)

I keep mine in a real safe (not a "security container") which is bolted to the floor and to the exterior wall. It isn't going anywhere.

14. Nupero Oct 8, 2021

Good idea! I imagine some might think my collection downright belongs in a safe like that.

Canuck likes this.
  15. Canuck Oct 8, 2021

The idea came to me after a trip to England in 2000. Cromwell was on a tear, persecuting Catholics. Many Protestant households provided shelter for Catholic priests. When Cromwell’s cadre banged on the door, the priest (or priests) would disappear down a specially prepared biffy called a “priest hole” until the interlopers were gone. I thought if it worked for Cromwell’s intended victims, it might just work for my collection! :D

ChiefMark and DaveK like this.
  16. Evitzee Oct 8, 2021

Scenario: Burglars break into your house at random when no one is at home and are thwarted by your super secure safe. Their natural thought is "there must be some valuable, portable items in there (money, guns, jewelry, watches) that can be easily fenced". They visit you at a later time when you are home in a home invasion. That safe is easily breached when you or your family are threatened. It's happened.

wristpirate likes this.
  17. Ted1858 Oct 8, 2021

I think about this often. I've heard bad stories about safe deposit boxes at banks, though. What method do you recommend? I currently employ the method of scattering around the house in obscure locations.

18. Canuck Oct 8, 2021

No way i’m gonna tell! :D

19. Canuck Oct 8, 2021

I have heard that having a big ugly safe in the house with nothing in it, locked, will attracted the attention of burglars. Then hide all your good stuff in a cardboard box, in the tool shed!