Forums Latest Members
  1. WhiteThorn May 30, 2021

Everyone knows two things...

Rolex’s go up in value.

Omega as a brand has much more interesting history, so many records to its name etc.

So how come you can pick up Omegas for £500 but not a Rolex?
    Will post bond Omegas continue to rise in price or does owning Omega remain the privilege of those who can afford to lose the value?

2. SkunkPrince May 30, 2021

Rolex go up in price. Value is a subjective judgement. :)

Used Omega generally don't increase in price. There are few that don't get used.

eugeneandresson likes this.
  3. BlackTalon This Space for Rent May 30, 2021

This has the same answer as when a 98-year-old man asks what he should wear that day:

Depends.

apsm100, DaveK, 3nicewatches and 4 others like this.
  4. jeppe888 May 30, 2021

its a difficult thing to predict

5. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. May 30, 2021

Highly depends and not all Rolexes go up in value. Only recently have subs gone up do to Trolex cutting production back. Traditionally only some Daytona’s went up. You can argue that over the past 40 years many Omega models have put performed Rolex.

Stripey and ScDevon like this.
  6. Walrus May 30, 2021

Yes, much like stonks and bitcoin omega only goes up

apsm100 likes this.
  7. JwRosenthal May 30, 2021

Due to the recent (past couple years) watch craze -yes, I have seen every vintage omega increase in street price. Although not as dramatic as Rolex, a very clean Seamaster 600 could be had for $250 5 years ago and are triple that for the same watch. Using that as an example compared to a watch like the Rolex sub 14060 which 5 years ago was around $5k and now fetch close to $9k, the Seamaster has indeed outperformed the Submariner.
    All a matter of perspective. As I don’t collect for value, I really only care if the price of entry exceeds my threshold of sanity. Resale means nothing to me when I buy as I don’t buy to flip or as investment.

YYTIN, DaveK, DoctorEvil and 9 others like this.
  8. kingsrider Thank you Sir! May I have another? May 30, 2021

The short answer is yes and in a big way. The long answer is, the rise and fall of any watch value depends on the trends of the time. Right now, tool watches are in style. Stainless steel watches tend too fetch more than gold. Fashion? maybe. Durability? possibly.
    My observations... watches that are a bit larger, stainless steel, black dial, chronographs, technical dials, waterproof, 18mm-20mm lugs, unusual complications are doing very well for all vintage watchmakers.

ScDevon and JwRosenthal like this.
  9. MTROIS May 30, 2021

OP, your statement is really a generalization, and may not apply to ALL Rolex models.
    I understand that once upon a time, bubblebacks were all the rage, and nobody cared about Paul Newman Daytonas much.

Things do change over time, but there is no denying that Rolex has built significant brand equity over the years, and that right now, their SS sports models have dramatically increased in price.

There are truly many factors that influence the PRICE of things... which, has been pointed out above by @SkunkPrince , is different than VALUE. For this reason, I would actually argue that Omegas have increased in value, while Rolex did not, and actually decreased in this dimension. ;)

10. shishy www.hpmor.com May 30, 2021

Step 1) Buy Omega for $X
    Step 2) Buy Another Omega for $X + $Y

Repeat step 2 forever and watch the prices continue to rise

You set the trends! ::popcorn::

ScDevon likes this.
  11. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI May 30, 2021

Have you seen the Snoopy, Tintin, and Alaska Project Speedies? ;)

Fish70 and ScDevon like this.
  12. Tony C. Ωf Jury member May 30, 2021

No, they don't.

Any other questions?

13. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector May 30, 2021

Rolex bubble backs went up until they came crashing down IIRC

14. WhiteThorn May 30, 2021

Really appreciate everyone’s replies. Was posting to see how people would respond and I’m getting that so thank you ☺️

15. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. May 30, 2021

If appreciation is your main metric, informed investment in the financial markets is the best place for your money. If you want a nice watch, get a nice watch.

UncleBuck, micampe, Texasjohn and 8 others like this.
  16. jaguar11 May 30, 2021

Value is what you are prepared to pay.... Unless you are an investor if you like and can afford then buy.

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker May 30, 2021

If the value of the watch to you is primarily what you can get for it when you sell it, to me that is a somewhat sad way to think about watches.

Personally I buy them to enjoy them, and if they go up that’s good, but if they don’t it’s money already spent and I still get enjoyment from the watch. Enjoyment is what I buy them for, not as investments.

18. p4ul “WATERRROOP” to 50m May 30, 2021

Rolex go up in price, not value. (Most of them, at the moment).

My granddaughters smile when I gave her a birthday hug today was beyond the value of any Watch.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rolex-Ce...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557Purchases made through these links may earn this site a commission from the eBay Partner Network

CC5BD9DE-D22D-40DF-844C-FB60D45E7381.jpeg Sold for £300.

Stuff (e.g. watches) can be desired or not and people pay what they feel is justified and that they can afford.

A smile means a lot to me.

kaplan, SurvivingJoe and ghce like this.
  19. Donn Chambers May 30, 2021

Rolexes go up in value because people who know nothing about watches think they are the “best” watch ever made due to advertising and every social media influencer who tells them this. Because of this they are willing to pay more for that brand than any other. Sellers know this, and won’t sell for less.

Until this cycle breaks, Rolex will keep going up in price.

I just visited a gray market dealer in Sarasota who has a showroom, primarily because I was looking for a Cartier for my wife. He had 4 Cartiers, about 6 Omegas (and half of those were old Speedmaster reduced models) and about 100 Rolexes - about half of those were brand new at hugely inflated prices. He had all the new pastel oyster perpetuals, several new GMT Masters, Daytona’s, etc.

Clearly, these Rolex models are not hard to get - at least for a dealer. But because these dealers buy them all up, they aren’t available to the masses that want them so the price keeps going up as long as people want them and are willing to pay.

but to answer your question, no, Omega watches will not generally go up in value, except after many, many years. This is like any other watch brand or jewelry or cars, which depreciate immediately after buying them.

as others have said, buy a watch to enjoy it, not as an investment.

Edited May 30, 2021
    IDXM, marco and DoctorEvil like this.
  20. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member May 30, 2021

So having a single out of focus picture, a one line description and only 80% positive feedback had anything to do with this watch selling for market value?

What do you think the chances are that the buyer get the watch for £300? If fake, 100%. If genuine, 0%.
    gatorcpa