Forums Latest Members

DIY: Crystal Replacement (Speedmaster Professional Hesalite) - Picture Heavy

1. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 5, 2014

It's not really a preference, but a necessity for me...but the tools you need really depend on the job at hand. There are many different types of crystals, and different methods used to hold them in place, and different tools to install them. These range from crystals that are glued in place (can be acrylic, mineral glass, etc.), those that are compressed before installation (acrylic without tension ring), those held in with friction (acrylic with tension ring like this one), those held in with a hard plastic gasket (mineral or sapphire)...

You certainly don't need a rack press for installing a Speedmaster acrylic crystal. But if you are installing a sapphire crystal on a PO for example, where the crystal is almost 4 mm thick, and the crystal gasket is a heavy interference fit, keeping that crystal absolutely square as you press it in is critical, because if you don't you will crush the gasket and have to spend another $7 on a new one, or possibly compromise the water resistance of the case. For this you need an extremely rigid and accurate press like the rack press I use - it's certainly not for everyone as retail is about $1200 for this press these days I think, but if you do this day in and day out, you need to own high quality tools.

Cheers, Al

watchyouwant likes this.
  2. ashleysteadman Oct 5, 2014

Thanks again to everyone, especially Al for your feedback - this forum is a great learning medium for all of us so I'm glad I can contribute where possible. :cool: Al, in response to your notes:

1 - Thanks, I figured that the construction of the Sapphire crystals would be different - I assume due to the more rigid/brittle construction of Sappire vs. Hesalite?

2 - Thanks for calling me out! I also have used a screwdriver to remove the dust cover but thought I'd stumbled across a neat trick with the Rodico. I did thoroughly clean the dust cover before putting the case back on if that's any consolation? :whistling:

3 - They make them tough in Canada ;) I managed to get one out with my fingers as well but it was quite hard and as a press applies even, constant pressure I thought this may be preferable.

4 - Unfortunately, like most amateurs when I bought the press my choices (and budget) were limited. This Horotec wasn't cheap by hobbyist standards (~$300 AUD) but as a multi-press it seems to be pretty good value as it can do lots of different jobs for a hobbyist. It also has a lot of different dies available so I would be keen to get your advice on using the right shape of die. I will PM you some links if I find some. I have added more information relating to the dies.

5 - Cool - I have added a note to clean the surface where the crystal seats and also the underside of the crystal before setting it on the case.

6 - In hindsight, I don't see why I didn't see the importance of this - thank you again for calling this out. I have added some notes about the lubrication of the gasket as this is clearly more important than it comes across in the original.

Cheers!

Verdi, watchyouwant and Etp095 like this.
  3. woodwkr2 Oct 6, 2014

Why not run the whole case through the ultrasonic tank while you have it open? That would get it far cleaner than using Rodico and you'd be certain not to contaminate your movement with dust and grime.

Nice tutorial. I personally like the vintage BB crystal presses. Quite sturdy and can occasionally be found on the bay by folks who don't know what they're selling.

4. M'Bob Oct 6, 2014

Great post. I see that this is a Tritium lumed watch, not Luminova, and I wonder if you watchmakers take any precautions regarding inhaling the Tritium dust that could be agitated during service.

M'Bob

5. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2014

Good advice. Just keep in mind that you need to dry out the pusher assemblies after submerging the watch as you don't want water and cleaning solution trapped in them. So you could heat the case after to dry it, or preferably disassemble the pushers.

Cheers, Al

6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 6, 2014

No too worried about Tritium, but obviously don't eat or inhale it while working on the watch and you will be fine. Radium I'm much more careful with...usually do a big clean up after working on a watch with radium lume.

7. ashleysteadman Oct 6, 2014

Need to buy myself one first! ;)

I've actually noticed that one of my pushers is a little but worn due to the way I wind this watch (I've since become much more careful) so my next job/DIY will be pusher replacement (both) once I get the parts and tool required. Perhaps I'll get an ultrasonic cleaner as well and do this at the same time.

:rolleyes:

P.S. - Al, that Fomblin UT-18 grease ain't cheap is it?!

8. initialjh Oct 6, 2014

thanks for that. wow... now i want to do the same! time to set up a bench! :)

JohnSteed likes this.
  9. yande Oct 7, 2014

I agree. No matter what level one is at. I love these technical threads and thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Even the tiny things I have done, I know how hard it is to get photos etc. Well done all round and thanks all!.

JohnSteed likes this.
  10. JohnSteed Oct 7, 2014

ashleysteadman & Archer,
    Great work and thanks for a stellar write-up. With very one chipping in, seems time now for me to get my shopping list sorted. Now where will I place the ultrasonic tank ...

watchyouwant likes this.
  11. Moinka Dec 17, 2017

Hello people,
    I am looking to get the 2017 moonwatch with display back but it comes only with sapphire...
    any idea if i's possible to mount a hesalite on it? looks like the watches are the same.

Thank :)

12. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Dec 18, 2017

They are not the same - you can't just swap the crystals between the 2 watches.

Cheers, Al

13. WhiskyVerb Jan 25, 2018

I'm never gonna try this, but it was a fascinating thread

bigdubnick likes this.
  14. roadsternet Apr 26, 2018

Thank you for this very good instruction and pictures.

15. BatDad Apr 27, 2018

I never thought I'd even be interested in trying this - but after reading such a comprehensive guide, it is tempting to use this guide. I'll bookmark this page for sure!
    Thanks for sharing!

16. BatDad Apr 27, 2018

What's the potential for damaging in the bezel when doing this? For example, I regularly see bezels with chips on the inner bezel - is that a 'tell' that the crystal has been replaced at some point?

17. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Apr 27, 2018

Nope.

BatDad likes this.
  18. fskywalker May 6, 2019

Very nice writeup, thanks for sharing! :thumbsup:

19. smoothiekingfan Nov 10, 2019

Any idea where I can get a NOS OEM replacement crystal for my 145.022-76?

20. Claven2 Nov 11, 2019

Since someone pulled up this necro-thread anyway, I'll ask a question.

Is these any particular reason why neither watchmaker opted to use a crystal puller?

Pullers are useless for sapphire, but should work on haselite just fine. In fact, I have used the to compress and drop in new acrylic Crystal's when I didn't have the right press die. Is this an option given geometry of the bezel? I've never had a speedmaster apart.

Thanks.