Forums Latest Members
  1. Greatoldone Mar 20, 2017

I stick to a dedicated dive computer I'm afraid. I have a Sunnto D4i, but due to advancing decrepitude (and the fact you don't seem to be able to get varifocal mask lenses), I've now got a Vyper 3 air, what for the big numbers etc. :D

larryganz, Tet, daddykc and 8 others like this.
  2. Greatoldone Mar 20, 2017

Kmart, SpeedieNovice, daddykc and 6 others like this.
  3. isaac.owen.nz Mar 20, 2017

I went diving multiple times with my trusty casio a158w and loved it all the way to ~40m
    USS Coolidge in Vanuatu was incredible, highly recommended if your in the sth Pacific looking for a massive wreck to dive.

Recently purchased a Seiko skx011 and know what you mean about the bezel, at first it's really hard to turn, a month or so in and it's much smoother now.
    Just need to get a bit further than the beach with that one now....

4. Spy You know my name. Mar 21, 2017

Brilliant video! Wow. At what depth were you while during the night dive with the sharks? In case you did a voice over I am watching the video without sound because I am in the public.

5. Greatoldone Mar 21, 2017

That was pretty shallow - about 10m. It's a big draw in that part of the Maldives, hence why it got so busy later on in the dive. :)

Spy likes this.
  6. styggpyggeno1 ΩF Enforcer ....and thread killer Mar 21, 2017

Post diving in Thailand some years ago.

[​IMG]

7. Greatoldone Mar 21, 2017

8. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. Mar 22, 2017

That's some great video @Greatoldone -- thanks for sharing it here!

Regarding wearing mechanical watches underwater, I usually dive with TWO electronic computers (and two independent air supplies) because I'm a big fan of redundancy for life-support systems. I dive with a watch because it just makes diving more FUN ! You should try it, too :)

larryganz, Kmart and Greatoldone like this.
  9. Greatoldone Mar 22, 2017

I may have to get my Seiko pressure tested and take it with me on my next trip. I'm not sure I'd want to risk my SM300 (yet - I haven't even got it, but can't wait)

As for redundancy, I'm planning on taking the d4i and attaching it to my BCD on a retractable line, just in case. I may need to pack a magnifier as well though! :D

I'm not sure what might happen with the pressure transponder... I'm guessing it can pair with multiple computers, so long as they have the freq and id. But if all else fails, I've still got an analog gauge.

10. BPD May 3, 2017

Thanks for redirecting me to this thread Jones in LA! I'm a diver and it's nice to see other divers on here! Although I don't have any shot of my watch while diving, I will try to post some dive pics soon :)

Jones in LA likes this.
  11. BPD May 3, 2017

As promised, here are some pictures that I was able to pull from my phone from my dives in Kauai (one of the pictures has me holding my GO Pro) and some poorly shot pictures of a manta ray night dive in Kona, Big Island Hawaii. Ever since my son was born, I haven't gone diving for almost 2 years now so these dives where done some years ago. However, I'm hoping to hit the water next year with my diving partner, my wife :) As for which watch I wear, out of the three dive watches that I have, I usually wear my Aquaracer.

Kauai
    IMG_8437[1].JPG IMG_8458[1].JPG IMG_8482[1].JPG IMG_8498[1].JPG IMG_8522[1].JPG
    Manta Ray Night Dive
    P1010687[1].JPG IMG_8377[1].JPG IMG_8385[1].JPG IMG_8389[1].JPG

Dive Watches
    Dive_Watches[1].jpg

larryganz, blubarb, Jwit and 5 others like this.
  12. Jones in LA Isofrane hoarder. May 3, 2017

Awesome photos @BPD, and awesome watches, too!

13. BPD May 3, 2017

Thank you! I hope we keep this thread going. It would be nice to see where people go diving.

Jones in LA and noelekal like this.
  14. Kmart May 3, 2017

Agreed! Hopefully I can contribute to this thread soon. I plan to get certified this summer and can't wait to finally take my SKX007 down with me.

Jwit and Jones in LA like this.
  15. flyingout May 5, 2017

Not to turn this into a computer discussion, but I tried this on today, and it is a watch. Sort of. I need to upgrade/repair lots of equipment and I thought I might go with a new computer in watch form. Thumbs up/down? Any experience with this one?

IMG_1568.jpg

Spruce, Kmart, Jones in LA and 3 others like this.
  16. blubarb May 6, 2017

What a great thread - thanks for starting it. Jones in LA :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I have my Super Pro apart on the bench at the moment and obviously a long way from the water, but here it is anyway in half undressed glory.

IMG_6281.JPG

Jones in LA likes this.
  17. chanbar May 6, 2017

18. Kmart Sep 29, 2017

Wanted to bump this thread since it hasn't seen any action in a while. Since making this post (as of 10 September) I have officially become a certified Open Water Diver! ::psy::

I've already got all of my essential diving gear squared away, and I wondered if you all had any recommendations as far as basic underwater cameras go (because one can never have enough gear, right?). Not looking for anything in the super high dollar range, just something to document my dives and of course take some wrist shots along the way. Currently I'm looking at the just released GoPro Hero 6 along with the super suit housing. Seems like the best option at around $550 for the full kit (excluding an SD card). Edit: Reading back through the thread again, perhaps I should just look at the Watershot PRO housing instead to start? How do you like yours, @Jones in LA?

In the spirit of the thread, here's a shot of my dearly missed Oris 65 I took while swimming in Sanibel, FL a few months back. I expect I'll be buying one again down the road... :thumbsup:

[​IMG]

Edited Sep 29, 2017
    noelekal, Spruce, D YOUNG and 3 others like this.
  19. Foo2rama Keeps his worms in a ball instead of a can. Sep 29, 2017

Old iPhones are good, the cases are cheap. Lighting under 40 ft going to be an issue with both.

Kmart likes this.
  20. Kmart Sep 29, 2017

That was my concern with phone housings, my iPhone (6S) suuuucks in low light conditions.