Forums Latest Members

Disinfecting leather watch band

1. Walrus Aug 28, 2020

Hey I had a crazy day yesterday. I had to leave work to get a covid test as I had some symptoms and my temp was climbing during the day. Fortunately I found a rapid testing site and got a negative result in 20 min. Here is the rub, while I was waiting for the test my tenants called me saying they had a sewage back up in the basement. Long story short my tenants (it’s a disabled group home) backed up the sewer line. I snaked the line, about 90ft and went about cleaning the mess. My day had already been crap with the covid thing and I finished the day cleaning literal crap. When I was done I realized I was wearing my speedy date with a leather band. With all the action I didn’t think of removing it, dumb on my part yes. I don’t think I got sewage on the leather band but what would be the proper way of disinfecting the omega band which I recently purchased from someone here without damaging it?

I can always put the steel back on it but I figure if I leave it sitting for a couple days and clean it well it should be okay.

2. Vitezi Aug 28, 2020

I imagine you could give that strap and buckle a good wipe down with a Clorox or Lysol wipe, let it dry, then use your favorite leather oil/balm to restore any lost oils to keep that band supple.

[​IMG]

3. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

Oh man. I would hit it with alcohol and let it sit in the sun. If it streaks the leather color then simply re-dye it but at least it's sanitary.

Walrus likes this.
  4. michael22 Aug 28, 2020

Clean it well first, let it sit second.

5. Walrus Aug 28, 2020

Ok cool this is like a real omega band I purchase from a forum member along with a vintage seiko. I really don’t have many “quality” leather bands so I’d prefer not to screw it up but from what you guys are saying it doesn’t sound like that major of a deal. I got to work this am and I won’t mention how bad my new Nike’s smell but that’s another issue perhaps I’ll join a sneaker forum

6. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Aug 28, 2020

Dishwashing liquid with a touch of Dettol

or

VirkonS

7. janice&fred Aug 28, 2020

Considering the aroma from his sneakers it should be head to toe with the watch on his wrist.

Duracuir1 and Walrus like this.
  8. Evitzee Aug 28, 2020

Liquids and leather don't play well together. If you didn't slop anything on it it is likely ok. Take it off and let it sit for a few days. Give it a whiff, if no sewage smell you are good to go.

Walrus likes this.
  9. rjdemarco Aug 28, 2020

1. Just wipe it with a damp soap solution and let it sit for a few days.
    2. Alcohol could remove the finish on the leather. Same with bleach.
    3. If you insist on "disinfecting", then use a Quaternary based product. Think, Lysol products.

Dan S and Walrus like this.
  10. Walrus Aug 28, 2020

No not that bad my sneakers got the brunt of it but I used a heavy hospital disinfectant we have at work they seemed to recover fine

11. Joe_A Aug 28, 2020

I put my watches into a UV-C sanitizer which is home-built, but there are inexpensive off-the-shelf UV-C sanitizers on the market that are intended to be used for small objects such as keys, cellphones and watches.

You'll find them on Amazon and elsewhere.

No liquid; no potential for damage.

Larger ones, often sold to nail salons, can hold a pair of stinky sneakers. :)

And yes, UV-C kills most of the "aroma."

Here's one I built for my daughter-in-law who works as a hair stylist:

Ferrari-Red-Sanitizer-2.jpg

I buy an inexpensive table-top toaster oven and strip out the guts of it . . . and then I install upper and lower UV-C fixtures with germicidal lamps.

EDIT: UV-C light can cause permanent eye damage. I black out the front glass and I do not operate them with the door open as you see here photographed only for illustration purposes.

jsducote, thelinendial and DaveK like this.
  12. Professor Aug 28, 2020

Ballistol gun cleaning solvent. Its a powerful disinfectant and authorized for use in cleaning restaurant meat cutting machines.
    Its also authorized for use in disinfecting wounds of dogs and horses. Its long been used to clean riding tack and I use it to clean mold from antique leather items. Its gentle with leather.
    I've read the product safety sheet and found it contains no known carcinogens.
    I found that when I got it on my hands long existing ridged surgical scars softened and went away leaving only thin white lines.

13. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Aug 28, 2020

I found this helpful procedure:

Step 1: Place watch band in a carton full of dung beetles so they can clean it off.

Step 2: Liberally disinfect yourself with alcohol, starting internally.

Step 3: Place yourself outside in the sun for an afternoon.

Step 4: Next time, hire a plumber. It is probably worth the few hundred $.

JimInOz, kov, DaveK and 1 other person like this.
  14. Walrus Aug 28, 2020

I did hire a plumber i don’t have a 100 foot snake but they don’t clean up the mess unless you want to put an insurance claim. I really like your other ideas though

BlackTalon likes this.
  15. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

Put on a pair of latex gloves, gently wipe down with a damp cloth with non-corrosive soap, apply a leather cleaner and conditioner, then let it sit for 3 days... that will take care of any concern you have with viral particles.

16. Marsimaxam Aug 28, 2020

Thanks for the laugh, but Step 3 needs to be updated to ..."Place yourself outside for 3 days"

17. Dan S Aug 28, 2020

As mentioned above, mild soap or quat-based disinfectant. Just damp, not soaking wet. It's quality leather, so it should be fine with that.

Walrus likes this.
  18. Donn Chambers Aug 28, 2020

Ballistol really is one of the coolest things since sliced bread - some hate the smell, but I personally find it nicer than other gun solvents. I use it on my leather bike saddles and it has never let me down!

Never even considered it for straps. Will have to try it now.

Professor likes this.
  19. DaveK Yoda of Yodelers Aug 30, 2020

thelinendial, michael22 and Walrus like this.
  20. Walrus Aug 30, 2020

Thanks for all the feedback good information. I just got back from the property that had the issue. I bleached the floor and the shop vac and inspected the lines, everything seems fine. My new Nike’s I wore that day seem ok now after I used some funky hospital grade sanitizer, I was going to throw them in the bin but the recovered nicely. Here is the watch in question I have not touched it since that day but did do a cleaning before I set it aside. No odor or anything now I think I am ok.
    image.jpg

thelinendial and DaveK like this.