Forums Latest Members

Difference between Omega Seamaster 600 and Deville, 1960s models, Cal. 5xx and 6xx?

1. AaronC Jan 22, 2019

First thread on Omega Forums. I am currently attending law school and have been on the lookout for a classic timepiece as a dress watch. I take after my father who loved to collect things as a hobby. Watches are something we both love to collect, but he won't hand down any of his prized watches anytime soon. He pointed me in the direction of Omega Seamasters because they are built well, have a good reputation, can be found for a decent price if you have patience and will hold its value or raise in price as time goes on. This is my first time diving into vintage watches and I like to take my time to research what I'm buying into. Currently own a Seiko SKX007J, Tisell Bauhaus (homage budget piece) which I hope will be replaced by a Nomos Tangete one day, and now need a dress watch for fancier occasions (last essential watch to complete the trinity for all occasions). After some research, I've narrowed my choices to 1960s Seamasters, more specifically the Deville (Cal. 5XX) and 600 (6XX) series. The Omega 600 Ref. 136.011 has caught my eye the most with its classy silver sunburst dial, date/calendar option and the Seamaster logo on the back. I've also come across other Deville's that are from the same time with similar specifications except for a different movement. Really curious to know the differences and if one model over the other has more value or reasoning behind the similarities, yet different branding models. Also taking suggestions for other Seamaster models that closely resemble the Ref 136.011 to look at. Budget is $600 and my only requirement is white/silver dial, date/calendar, stainless steel case, and Seamaster logo on the back. Thanks for the help!

Edward53 and Lonestar like this.
  2. Davidt Jan 22, 2019

Two great lines with very robust movements, especially the 6xx.

There is a very similar thread on this forum looking at the various dress Seamasters, DeVilles, 600's etc. The 600's were slightly more basic, having a manually wound movement, over the auto 55x in the DeVilles and many Seamasters.

All can be found within your budget (or just over) with patience but you may need to factor in extra for a service.

AaronC likes this.
  3. AaronC Jan 23, 2019

Do you happen to have the link to it? Been looking for it. Thanks for the short version answer. Oh boy, I didn't factor in service fees. Start praying someone serviced it before selling.

4. doog Jan 23, 2019

You’ve certainly started at the right place on your journey into the world of Omega, this forum will give you a real insight into the pleasures and occasional pain of vintage watch ownership. Both the 5xx and 6xx calibres are accurate and reliable and when you do find the ideal timepiece, you’ll be pleasantly surprised at how well it stacks up against much younger competition like your SK. Many of the choices you’ll see will have been serviced fairly recently, so it shouldn’t be a deal breaker if it wasn’t serviced last week. Every 5 years is about the ideal for optimum health, but none of them will pack up a day after the 5 years are up. If you should get one with serviced 2-3 years ago, then you’ll be fine for another 2-3. The choice between De Villes and Seamasters is really just aesthetics, as both ranges contain a wide range of excellent timepieces. One thing to be aware of though, is to avoid over polished or over restored examples. These will often have very ‘soft’ edges to their cases, and worn hippocampus logos on the casebacks. A watch that has been well maintained but shows its age gently is infinitely preferable. Enjoy the search.

AaronC likes this.
  5. AaronC Jan 23, 2019

Worst part about joining this forum is staring at the all the amazing watches only to realize you can't afford it or you can but buy too many haha. The Seamaster 600 popped out at me first because of the silver sunburst. You just don't see that kind of aesthetics anymore, especially the simple yet timeless look. Do restored or polished watches lose its value? I would assume some people really care about patina, which I can see the appeal, but prefer a more cleaner look, but definitely not opposed to small scratches, dings, etc. In regards to care of a watch, I've read that humidity and sunlight can affect the dials (patina), will wearing vintage pieces outside cause this or is it more to do with storage or sealing?

6. omegaswisst Jan 23, 2019

Archer and AaronC like this.
  7. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Jan 23, 2019

8. Davidt Jan 23, 2019

9. AaronC Jan 23, 2019

Appreciate the links. This forum is really something. Lot of people that know what they're talking about and informative down to the small details. Definitely beats going on a wild goose chase on google and running into pages only looking to sell you the watch rather than tell you what's up. Thanks again!

doog likes this.
  10. doog Jan 23, 2019

In answer to your first point, a watch restored by a watchmaker who knows what they are doing, can vastly increase the value of something tatty, but over polishing will seriously impact appeal. Sympathetic ownership is everything. All these watches were made to be worn, so use outside is not an issue, but I would take any water resistance with a pinch of salt, age does not look kindly on old seals. Most are safe enough in a light rain shower, but immersion should be avoided.

11. AaronC Jan 23, 2019

Makes sense, I've noticed a lot of watches on Ebay are exceptionally clean, yet cheaper than it seems like it should be. My biggest worry is buying one that is redialed versus cleaned up. As for sealing for outdoor conditions I'm not super concerned because I don't plan on wearing it in extremes or immersing it. I recently moved, but I used to live in a very tropical area where things like leather are none to get musky if not stored properly. My worry was more in regards to the dial being affected as a result of poor storage.

12. doog Jan 23, 2019

If you’re concerned about damp when the watch isn’t being worn, a couple of silica gel sachets in the box (or whatever) will sort that out. The redial issue is harder. I’ve been seriously interested in vintage Omegas for a couple of years now, and I still struggle to tell a lot of the time. You can always create a post about a watch you’re interested in, and ask the brains trust on here. Everyone enjoys a good ‘is it/isn’t it a redial’ thread. Experience and time will give you a better chance of picking a good’un.

13. AaronC Jan 23, 2019

Cool, Silica Gel is easy to find. I think I'm pretty set on the Seamaster 600 or a Deville that look similar. Regardless I probably will post a link of a potential find if I see one to ask about it before jumping the gun. Omega Forum has being my favorite for sure, everyone seems very knowledgeable or knows where to get the right answers. Thanks a lot for the help!

14. Davidt Jan 23, 2019

The Seamaster 600 is a great watch, simple and basic case design but with a robust movement and a variety of dials.

IMG_3499.JPG

IMG_3407.JPG