Forums Latest Members

Did my watchmaker accidentally polish the case?

1. Rquacken Aug 17, 2020

So some people may think this is a stupid question, but I’m curious to see if the place I just brought my watch screwed up.

I have an older Watch (Don’t know the reference) that had a brushed l case that was left to me from my father. The watch was at a watchmaker for the last 2 months. (I researched him first he has very good reviews.

when I got the watch back this morning it’s very clean everything looks good except the case edge opposite the crown looks much shinier (slightly polished) than the crown side. When I spoke to the watchmaker he told me that that side of watches with brushed cases will actually be polished by the sweat on your wrist and your skin if it’s a daily wearer, and that the other side (crown side usually does not because the crown stops the watch from rubbing into your skin. he swears he did not attempt to polish anything.
    You can tell that it’s still slightly brushed but it is definitely less brushed than the crown side.
    I know it’s difficult without pictures but I am now at work. I am curious to see if anyone else thinks that this is possible or if the guy accidentally started polishing the watch and then said oh shit I’m not supposed to do this and stopped. I will say that in the direct center of the circular case it is the most polished and then kind of gets more brushed as you move towards the Lugs.

2. SpikiSpikester @ ΩF Staff Member Aug 17, 2020

photos will definitely help...

by the way, did your father have a habit of rubbing his fingers on the case while he was wearing it, or cupping his other hand over the watch ? That would also be consistent with what you're describing.

Professor and Waltesefalcon like this.
  3. Scarecrow Boat Burt Macklin, FBI Aug 17, 2020

Do you have pictures? Before and after would be awesome but just pics of it now would be great.

Waltesefalcon and Dan S like this.
  4. Rquacken Aug 17, 2020

I’ll get some photos when I get home

5. Professor Aug 19, 2020

That sounds reasonable to me.
    Different styles and movements can result in different wear patterns.
    Constant contact with the cuff of a shirt or jacket might also cause wear on that side.
    Manual wind watches can have much more wear on the crown side.

Waltesefalcon likes this.
  6. Engee Aug 19, 2020

I find it hard to imagine that a good watchmaker would absent-mindedly start to polish a watch, then realise what he's doing. More likely that in giving it a clean and wipe with a soft cloth the natural wear over time has been revealed.

OmegaP99 and Waltesefalcon like this.
  7. OmegaP99 Aug 19, 2020

I think @Engee is right, he probably ultrasonically cleaned the case when the watch was disassembled and you're seeing it's true surface for the first time. Even just cleaning a watch with a polishing cloth can make a pretty substantial difference in it's appearance. If he's your regular watchmaker I would probably accept his explanation.