Forums Latest Members
  1. morningtundra Oct 2, 2020

This was recently serviced (cal 287). Last night I wound it and set it aside (running). This morning it's dead. The crown won't wind any further (fully wound). The seconds sub register isn't running and the chronograph won't run.

I've tried pressing and de-pressing all the buttons and pushers. Winding the hands forwards and backwards, Gentle tapping on the table, shaking, rolling. Nothing... It just seems stuck. What can I do?

Did I accidentally trash a very attractive and recently working old watch :-(

62333972632__B4C082EE-DC17-45FF-8D13-EB34269889AE.jpg

2. bgrisso Oct 2, 2020

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong, impossible to diagnose remotely. Assume it's still under warranty, I think you just have to send it back to whomever serviced it ? It's always a bummer, but this happens sometimes.

3. Diabolik Oct 2, 2020

Good advice. Don't push move or wind anything, just give it to you watchmaker to sort out.

airansun, DaveK and Larry S like this.
  4. Lurk41 Oct 2, 2020

It is trashed, please give it to me?

(it was worth trying :p)

I agree with the 2 others. Sent it to our watchmaker, it is impossible to say what is wrong like this... A part could be broken, maybe it is only a debris that 1/shouldn't have been there in the first place 2/ blocks the movement. In any case, trying to force it to restart could only make things worse

apsm100 likes this.
  5. morningtundra Oct 2, 2020

Thanks all. Will send it back next week...

6. Dan S Oct 2, 2020

A case screw came loose and is impeding the balance. Not your fault. ;)

Larry S and morningtundra like this.
  7. Tempus Oct 2, 2020

And especially don't tap on a table!

Edited Oct 2, 2020
  8. Larry S Color Commentator for the Hyperbole. Oct 2, 2020

Dear Mr Rolex. Welcome to the world of keeping these elderly orphans of a dead manufacturer running. Ya gotta love em because they are always needing tweaks. I hope you have a good watchmaker. Mine always comes through and a lot of times he doesn't charge me for small tweaks. (Although, last visit, he said we need to discuss sourcing a part for my compax to solve the intermittent chrono reset issue) ...

9. Diabolik Oct 3, 2020

Let me know what you need. I may be able to help ...

Larry S likes this.
  10. morningtundra Oct 4, 2020

Yes, I'm a push-over and have a soft spot for orphans. It's a weakness. I've owned several old Pierce chronos over the years. And these (with their leather clutches) I've vowed to forsake. Forever.

My watchmaker is very capable. And so he should be, after the training and education I've funded over the years.

Larry S and JwRosenthal like this.
  11. JwRosenthal Oct 4, 2020

I bought mine a boat, and now he spends more time with that than my watches. ::facepalm2::

12. morningtundra Oct 4, 2020

Thanks for the offer. I'll get in touch if things don't work out with the chap that worked on it last. I'll send it back up to him next week and see what he says.