Forums Latest Members

Dial came damaged from factory?

1. Skv Oct 27, 2019

Hi all,

I recently bought a pre owned GM from 2018. It came full set and still has 4 years of warranty. After having worn the watch for a couple of weeks, I just noticed that the 11 hour marker seems to be damaged. Also the 12 hour marker seems a bit off.

I am told the watch has never been opened (as there was no reason to) but I can't prove this. I see no reason why someone would have ever opened it.

It seems to me to be a factory defect and I would like to get the dial replaced. Has anyone got any experience as to how Omega handles these kinds of requests? And how long my watch will be gone if I get it replaced? The thought of pairing with it after a few weeks is not very appealing..

I must say that I am quite shocked by this sight. By the way: it is not a reflection.

Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

20191027_104429.jpg 20191027_104052.jpg
    Edited Oct 27, 2019
  2. michael e Still learning. Oct 27, 2019

Omega should replace the dial FOC, I have had a Breitling dial replaced due to a factory QC mishap.
    Do new watches still have a red seal on the case back?
    Cheers, Michael

Skv likes this.
  3. Skv Oct 27, 2019

I'm not sure what you mean by red seal. The watch has a display caseback. For what it is worth: the four screws appear to be untouched. No signs of any damage or tools used.

4. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 27, 2019

Red seal stopped years ago.

michael e likes this.
  5. michael e Still learning. Oct 27, 2019

I might be out of touch here as I rarely have new Omega watches, on the older one the case back had a red blob of paint on the edge of the case back, if this red paint was broken it was an indicator that the case back had been off at some point.
    I might be wrong thinking the new watches had this red dot.
    Cheers, Michael

Edit, just seen the above, ignore me, I am still living in 1994 :thumbsup:

STANDY likes this.
  6. Archer Omega Qualified Watchmaker Oct 27, 2019

They did, but the red dot on new watches stopped as of June 1, 2015...

Also, the blue dots after service stopped at the same time.

michael e and STANDY like this.
  7. DaveCollins Oct 27, 2019

Regardless of the cause, the issue isn't something that you want to live with. So replacing the dial seems to be the only way to go. When Omega open the case, they should be able to determine if it is a factory defect. If they determine its a factory quality control problem, I would think it would not cost you anything.

8. Skv Oct 27, 2019

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I don't think that there is any way that I can determine myself if the case has been opened?
    Any ideas as to how long the process will take from dropping off the watch at an Omega Service Center until becoming reunited with it?

9. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 27, 2019

2 months as watch will go back to HQ

10. Evitzee Oct 27, 2019

If it's a factory defect, and these things happen, they'll replace the dial. You seem to have the warranty card in hand so start the process. You can take it to a boutique or send it in yourself.

11. Skv Oct 27, 2019

I also found that the previous owner tried to adjust the bracelet. Many of the small screws were damaged in the process. Could I ask them to replace these whilst they are at the watch?

I guess I'd better visit a Boutique this week..

12. Evitzee Oct 27, 2019

The screws can be replaced but you may have to pay for them.

13. Canuck Oct 27, 2019

Find out if the warranty is transferable to a second owner before you send it away. They may look at the damaged screws, and scrub any warrantee coverage. The OB should know.

14. Evitzee Oct 27, 2019

Since the Warranty card does not have a name on it possession of a properly signed and dated card gives the individual full warranty protection. You do not need to be the original buyer or show the original receipt.

Messed up bracelet screws would not void the warranty, many screws are damaged by clumsy, well intentioned people, some at ADs and boutiques.

Edited Oct 27, 2019
  15. Skv Oct 27, 2019

That's also what I understood. I do have a signed and dated warranty card.

I'll ask them for a quotation regarding the bracelet screws. Wondering what that might be.. And a dial replacement under warranty. :)