Forums Latest Members

Daytona wait time - cut in half!

1. YY77 Oct 13, 2019

This thread makes me more confident in believing wait lists aren't real in Rolexworld, no one should get bumped up dependant on spending more than a person already on the list. I do think flippers should be made as difficult as possible to acquire a watch but don't have the answer how to.

2. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 13, 2019

So many threads on this topic - and such passion. Clearly whatever Rolex are doing is getting in your collective heads. If you feel Rolex is f***king you over somehow - there's a very simple solution....

Don't buy one. :rolleyes:

KstateSkier, lando, kkt and 3 others like this.
  3. CoDiffe Oct 13, 2019

I didn’t realize this was such a hot button issue :eek:

I was just excited for my uncle and curious if this had happened to anyone else. I don’t see a problem with repeat customers getting preference over people who have never set foot in a store. I guess a lot of people feel differently though.

4. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 13, 2019

My comment was not directed at your post - good on your uncle for getting his dream watch sooner than expected.

I do grow weary of the (seemingly) endless threads regarding Rolex constricting supply to the market and the histrionic content that fills them.

If one is looking to be outraged about manipulation and conspiracy theories, there are plenty of better ones to attend to - the so-called "moon landing" in 1969 to name just one. ::stirthepot::

Dogmann likes this.
  5. saulgoodman Oct 13, 2019

Not strange at all. It is well known that Rolex AD's will give preference to frequent customers who have made several other purchases. If you want a SS Daytona, just buy a DJ, an OP, and an Air King from the same AD. Flip them, and then go in and ask for the Daytona. You will get bumped up over the poor schmoes who have saved for the last five years to buy their grail. Under the current system, those guys will never see a Daytona unless they pay twice the market price out in the world. Is it manipulation by Rolex? You bet. They are trying to position their SS line as the most desired watches in the world by playing games. Bring it on, but that is the way it is. Will the prices continue to rise? This is anyone's guess. Is it worth buying a Rolex at today's prices? That is a very subjective decision. My money is in my pocket as far as Rolex is concerned until further notice, or maybe forever. No biggie.

6. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Oct 13, 2019

It’s human nature to discuss the same topics over and over again, in forums like this one, and out in the real world. For example, just try going to Britain and not having the rotten weather discussed!

Motik and saulgoodman like this.
  7. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 13, 2019

Got a copy of the list

Rolex Daytona list
    1)
    Rich dude with hot young misses that bought the GMT and DJ
    2) Bald rich dude that buys a new watch every month.
    3) Jim my real estate agent
    4) Car salesman dude #1
    5) Car salesman dude #2
    6) Bar owner that whinges to Rolex all the time

87) Annoying OF forum dude that comes in each week asking for hulks and Batman’s

( feel free to fill in some in between on the list ;) )

kkt, watch3s and saulgoodman like this.
  8. Dan S Oct 13, 2019

Yeah, I agree with this. But at the same time you have to roll your eyes a bit when someone breathlessly writes "He might only be on the list for two years before he gets his dream watch." After all, we're talking about a mass-produced watch from the current catalog, not a rare vintage watch that you hunt for years.

Motik, mayankyadav and michael22 like this.
  9. BlackTalon This Space for Rent Oct 13, 2019

Also, the uncle won't know for two years if the AD was feeding him a line of BS.

Motik and michael22 like this.
  10. CoDiffe Oct 13, 2019

What does a watch being “mass produced” have to do with it? Someone’s dream watch is someone’s dream watch.

11. saulgoodman Oct 13, 2019

Good point. In a world filled with transient sales people who work here one day and there the next, we are being asked to believe that there is a solid no BS list being kept by every Rolex AD with full integrity, and it can be counted on, rain or shine. LOL! I truly believe that unless you are an established customer that has provided consistent commissions to the sales staff, the list you go on sits in a very special file... the circular file.

kkt likes this.
  12. CoDiffe Oct 13, 2019

Possibly. But worst case scenario he gets to continue to wear/enjoy his submariner.

13. Dan S Oct 13, 2019

I guess you missed my point. There's nothing wrong with a Daytona being your uncle's dream watch, and it's fine if he wants to wait two years (or more for it). But it's a little silly IMO to get SO excited about "only" having to wait two years for a standard catalog item that you would start a thread to crow about it.

"Woo-hoo, I'm only getting punched in the face two times instead of four!" :rolleyes:

Motik and mayankyadav like this.
  14. saulgoodman Oct 13, 2019

10,253) Watch enthusiast who believes Rolex would never play games with their customers, but wonders why his name has not moved up the list in three years?

watch3s likes this.
  15. CoDiffe Oct 13, 2019

I guess you missed my point. I didn’t start a thread to “crow” about anything. It’s not my watch. I posted (very clearly I thought) for the intention of asking if this had happened to anyone else as this is all news to me.

16. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 13, 2019

Think you have to read the other few lengthy posts about this for context of this issue....
    Nothing’s against you mate.

17. Walrus Oct 13, 2019

Ya and I did say in this thread I understand it from a business point. Taking care of regular customers. When a guy goes into a Rolex store to put his name on the “list” for a watch he is willing to wait five years to get and isn’t a regular customer he just wants one particular watch and is willing to spend a significant amount of money on it is he told if someone purchases more watches he will essential be moved down on the list.

18. MCC Oct 13, 2019

The weather has had to take a back seat to Brexit just recently. Anyone want o discuss conspiracy theories ? ::stirthepot::

19. 3nicewatches $100 well spent Oct 13, 2019

It might be in the back seat, but it’s still in the car! I was watching the NFL game happening in London right now and the commentary team were saying “this strange orange globe just appeared briefly in the sky”!

MCC likes this.
  20. DaveCollins Oct 13, 2019

There is an online retailer who sells Rolex watches which are brand new, some with plastics in place. You can purchase a new Rolex any day of the week. If you want something specific like a steel Daytona, that's another story. But other watches are easily available such as Oyster Perpetual, Explorer, and sometimes Submariner. In some cases, you'll pay quite a bit over retail.

In my case, I just purchased a brand new Oyster Perpetual 36mm and it was under retail. No wait, no hassle, had the watch in two days and I am loving it.