Forums Latest Members

Dad's 1954 calibre 354 reference C2577-12-SC (questions at end)

1. ArtGecko Feb 2, 2020

Good day, and thank you for taking a peek at my first post here on OmegaForums.net! I stumbled on this forum a couple of weeks ago while searching for some information, and have been an avid reader since. I joined yesterday, as I finally feel that I have enough basic knowledge to post a question.

The first thing I noticed when reading through the vintage threads is how many folk came here just like me to learn about "Dad's watch." Wow, there's a lot of us, and I commend you guys for your patience and repeated willingness to help. Thanks to you, those oft asked questions have helped me answer several of my own.

To paraphrase the opening of the old Naked City TV show; There are a lot of stories about "Dad's watches". This is one of them...

My mother bought an Omega Seamaster for my father at the base exchange at Keesler Air Force Base, in Biloxi, Mississippi. She recalls that it was after they were married (December 1951), but before I was born (September 1953). It was $50, new in the box. Like many of us growing up in those times, I wore a Timex watch as first watch (and many after), but I always admired my Dad's Omega.

It wasn't a showy watch. More of a quality made tool. And it was generally the only watch he owned, or at least the only watch he wore. He was an industrial arts teacher, and wore it while at work, at home, helping my grandfather on the farm, working on cars, going to church, and out for the evening. It wasn't babied, and over the years, accumulated its share of scratches and wear. Dad wasn't the least bit ostentatious, and would never consider getting a new watch or having his gussied up. It worked, kept great time, and looked okay. That was good enough.

IMG_5425.jpeg

DSC_4421.jpeg

Dad died a dozen years ago, and Mom recently gave his watch to me. It had one of those awful stretch bands on it with a calendar in place of the links below the watch case, where you'd wind the tiny crown to find the calendar to match the current month. It was stretched out and rusted, so I replaced it with a band from one of my grandfather's Elgin watches. I've worn it a few times, usually when going out for dinner or need to dress up. Otherwise, it rests in an old jewelry box my uncle had. It keeps excellent time, and winds itself as expected.

As noted above (Way above! Wow, can I ramble on...) I stumbled on this forum while searching for information on his Seamaster. I Googled "1952 Omega Seamaster", compared images, and then changed the year to try again. A couple of the photos were from here.

A huge thanks to the folks who steered me to the Kong dog toy. That made removing the case back relatively easy. Inside, I found that I have a calibre 354 movement, and reference C2577-12 SC watch with the serial number 14041379. According to the frequently linked reference, this watch was made in 1954. I'm not sure if this date can be narrowed down any more. A site called OmegaAddicts has a database of serial numbers, and finding ones close to mine yields a very late 1953 or more likely early 1954. Not sure where he gets this information, as the published serial number ranges are for even years during that period.

DSC_4436.jpeg

DSC_4440.jpeg

Yes, I got that blue fiber out before putting on the case back. ;)

Mom seems to think that the watch has never been serviced. But I thought I remembered that he sent it in for some reason. Probably losing time or the automatic winder wasn't winding. Looking at the watch face, and after reading so many other "Dad's watch" threads, I thought it likely had been redialed. After I got it opened, I found this marking inside the case back.

DSC_4439.jpeg

I assume that the etched information is a watchmaker's markings. If it is difficult to read in these reduced images, it shows Ω100469*50 (or S0). Can I assume it was repaired at an Omega service center, and that the next group of numbers represents October 4, 1969 or April 10, 1969, depending on where it was serviced? Are the last three markings a standardized code, or simply something that particular watchmaker used?

A closer look at the dial, and with the help of similar threads, I'm all but certain the watch has been redialed. The text for AUTOMATIC is nearly the same size as the OMEGA text, and the text looks almost hand painted, particularly the M. Some of the hour markers are off by a bit. Am I correct that it has been redialed?

This photo also shows how scratched the case and crystal have become, and there's a crack near the 9 o'clock marker. This crystal does not have the Omega logo on the center. Did all Hesalite crystals have the logo molded in, or only certain models or years? I'm assuming since the dial was replaced, the crystal would have been at the same time.

DSC_4428.jpeg

This photo shows more of the scratching, and that the hands are corroded. There's also a bit of green at the 6 o'clock position, so at some point, moisture has gotten inside.

DSC_4444.jpeg

So, that's the watch as it is today. I have no intention of ever selling Dad's watch, but I enjoy wearing it on occasion. My own wonderful wife knew how much I admired Dad's watch, and bought me my own Seamaster in 1999 (2551.80.00), which I wear all day, every day.

However, Dad's watch hasn't been serviced in decades, and it really needs to go in for some repairs. I'm already aware that I shouldn't send it to Omega, so I need to find a good watchmaker to take it to. It definitely needs a new crystal, and the second hand is quite rusty, so I'd like a better (but not new) replacement. The hands are iffy, but may clean up. Despite the redial, I like how it looks and wouldn't replace it. I don't want a new watch! I'd just like Dad's to be a bit more presentable.

Do you guys have a recommendation for a watchmaker qualified and familiar with vintage Omegas in the Cleveland, Ohio area? If not, is there anyone that you recommend sending to, including any of you guys on here who have a history of careful preservations?

Should the correct replacement crystal have the Omega logo? Are the official Hesalite crystals even available any more?

I'd like a nice period correct leather strap for this watch. I like brown, but think black goes better with the stainless. I'm not cheap, but I'd rather not pay $200 for a genuine alligator strap, either. Any recommendations?

I will not sell this watch. Period! But, I would like an honest evaluation of the watch as it is today, both for curiosity sake, and for insurance. I've seen similar era 354 stainless watches anywhere from $400-$1500. I'm guessing I'm a lot closer to the bottom of this range, or even less with the redial and corrosion. I won't even ask what it would be worth after repairs, as that depends on too many factors.

That's all for now. I didn't intend for this to be a lengthy read, but I'm just typing what comes to mind at the time. Please ask if I've forgotten any details, and I really do appreciate honest opinions. If it is a piece of crap, say so. I won't. be offended. Better knowing that going in that waste hundreds polishing a turd.

And again, thank you all for your past contributions. There's a huge wealth of information available here on the forum with just a little bit if searching and reading.

Regards,
    Steve

Additional photo, because I realized my macro shots did not include the calibre. Yep, it is dirty in there!

IMG_5423.jpeg

Edited Feb 2, 2020
    Dr No, AAAKK, styggpyggeno1 and 8 others like this.
  2. ArtGecko Feb 3, 2020

TL/DR:

3. ChrisN Feb 3, 2020

It's a great memento - I can't answer all your questions but, might be able to make a start:

You should be able to get an Omega crystal for this watch will (probably) have the symbol. It might be a little early for the symbol.

The watchmaker marks are a code used by that place so, I doubt you can ever be sure what they mean.

Try Google searching for "Cleveland watchmaker site:eek:megaforums.net" and you might come up with some recommendations for local watchmakers. Parts for these are becoming scarcer so, best to have it looked at before the parts wear out.

Edit: for the :eek:, replace with : followed by an o

I also think it has been redialled so I'd think you're right about your value estimate. Not to worry as if it was my Dad's watch, I'd wear it regardless.

I'd go for a quality black leather strap myself - $100 should get something nice. There are thousands to choose from...

Hope this helps a little.

Cheers, Chris

Dan S, styggpyggeno1 and ArtGecko like this.
  4. dougwhiz Feb 3, 2020

Wow. Nice 1st post, with plenty of clear pictures, some backstory about what you've researched so far, and specific questions. It seems like there have been a rash of posts lately that just say "Here's a watch I have, how much is it worth?", and then include 1 or 2 out of focus pictures of the dial.

Welcome to the Forum! I'm sure you'll get some detailed replies from members with more knowledge than me. I originally stumbled onto the site while researching a purchase of an Omega Dynamic, and was amazed how much information is consolidated here.

styggpyggeno1 and ArtGecko like this.
  5. OMEGuy Feb 3, 2020

Excellent pictures and description... :thumbsup:

I can feel that this watch really means very much to you, since it belonged to your Dad.

You have asked for the age of the watch and I agree it seems unlikely the watch had been produced after your Mom bought it for your Dad. ;) The dating tables are not always 100% reliable, especially when it comes to 1950s watches. The best way to check this out is to ask for an Extract of the Archives of Omega, to get an exact production and delivery dates, if available.

I think the watch looks honest and has had a life, as you said... The dial has been redone, you already mentioned that. Well, the case hasn't been polished, which is a big plus.

As for the crystal, it should have the Omega logo in the centre. I am not sure if original crystals for this reference are available from Omega, but I'm sure that @Archer knows this.

You will find a matching used spare part for the rusty second hand, if you do some search.

I guess your estimation of the value is quite right (lower end of the range).

What you will definitely need is a service and I'm sure others here can help you further for the area you mentioned.

Otherwise, apart from replacing the crystal and having a technical overhaul done, I wouldn't change anything about this watch.

So good luck and once you've finished this project: Enjoy and wear it in good health! :)

6. Syrte MWR Tech Support Dept Feb 3, 2020

Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. This must be the most well researched first post I’ve seen here, I commend you for all of your careful reading. It’s quite remarkable how much you’ve been able to learn in so little time.

Since I’m no Omega expert Iet me contribute in my limited ways:
    - first of all, I don’t find the case to be so badly scratched up. You’ll be surprised how transformed your watch will look only by changing the crystal; when you get the watch serviced I suggest you ask that the case not be polished- as it may clash with the age and condition of the dial;

- second, on the subject of watch straps:
    Personally I find black to be sad and drab, and would recommend you look at other options including a more casual yet elegant taupe - such as the one below:
    https://www.bandrbands.com/taupe-textured-calf-leather-watch-band.aspx

Also, there are some forum members who make beautiful Horween straps and Italian calf straps- you should be able to find one for even less than $100 from @jankoxxx (there’s a special watch strap sales section in the sales forums. Also there’s a long sticky thread about where to find quality leather straps and you will find a wealth of good options at many different price points.)
    https://omegaforums.net/threads/hand-made-watch-straps-shell-cordovan-italian-calf-suede-etc.88945/
    keep us posted on what you do!
    Best regards

Edited Feb 3, 2020
  7. nkb Feb 4, 2020

Does anybody know what the triangle is/means on the inside caseback below the reference stamp?

I have seen it on another vintage seamaster bumper model and have since wondered about it.

8. DON Feb 5, 2020

Dial has been refinished. Get it serviced, new crystal and maybe try and find some gently used hands to replace the current aged ones

DON

ArtGecko likes this.
  9. ArtGecko Feb 6, 2020

Thank you all so much for the kind replies, and I'm sorry I didn't get back to this earlier.

Thanks, it's a curse. :) I spent 40 years in mechanical engineering and machine design. I cannot get into any subject or hobby without a lot of research and writing documentation with clear illustrations (shakes fist at US Patent Office!) Additionally, I read a lot of the "Dad's watch" threads, and saw how frustrated the poster and responders sometimes get.

@ChrisN thanks for reminding me that Google's site option is often better than a site's own search function. I had searched locally, using "Cleveland watchmaker" and "Cleveland watch repair" with mixed results. As expected, most are jewelry stores or kiosks. Those that do repairs and have great ratings most often had reviews of how quickly the store changed their battery or shortened their watch's bracelet. The couple that seemed to have vintage watch experience also had horror stories on BBB's complaints, about watches in limbo for years, or worse than when taken in. It all sounds like a lottery.

Using the site search, I found that OF member @LawBrk had a couple of local guys he uses, so I've sent off a message asking for suggestions.

Yea, that could have been written more clearly. ;) Mom remembers buying it between December 1951 and September 1953. The tables list the serial number during 1954. I'm more likely to trust the tables than Mom, as she's 89 and not always precise in her recollections. (Hell, I'm 66 and can't remember squat! :) )

@Syrte You've convinced me to look beyond black. The mahogany that's on it now looks okay, and likely of a similar time period, as it came from a grandfather's Elgin, so I might stick with it.

The current plan is to find a competent watchmaker to do a complete service and replace the crystal. I'd like an OEM part, but understand that these might not be available. It has a generic on it now, so... Replacing the rusted sweep second hand with a nicer old part would also be desirable, but not required. I don't want the case polished; the warts are well earned. It was Dad's everyday watch, and that's how I want to present it.

Key is finding that competent watchmaker. Anyone here in the US want to take it on? I have no qualms sending it away it to an OmegaForums recommended watchmaker. I've seen some places online list an overhaul from $95 to over $400 for similar era Omegas. I appreciate the time and care needed, but in the end it is a $4-500 watch *after* it has been gone through, so I have to be conscious of that as well. Mrs Gecko doesn't put as high a value on sentiment as I do.)

Any recommendations for a source of good 18mm springbars? Amazon looks full of poor quality options.

Again, thank you all so much for the replies and encouragement!
    Steve

Dr No, KingCrouchy, Syrte and 2 others like this.