Forums Latest Members

Dablitzer’s Departure From OF

1. TNTwatch Oct 16, 2014

I think the decision is well explained here and is well understood by probably most members. Still, I would agree with Ash and M.D. that some guideline or code of ethics for the FS forums would only add value to and not go against the spirits or modus operandi of OF as the whole.

2. Davidt Oct 16, 2014

I don't think we need a list of rules, regulations, moral codes of ethics or a naughty boy corner. You speak to and treat others how you would wish to be treated and spoken to, and there is a general understanding Between the members.

If people start going a bit too far with comments/posts etc they get a friendly tap on the shoulder. The more it persists the less friendly the taps become until you have to draw the line at some point (this isn't directed at the person in question, just how I understand the forum to work which I agree is the way it should be run).

Spacefruit likes this.
  3. dennisthemenace Hey, he asked for it! Oct 16, 2014

where do I get my badge?

4. ulackfocus Oct 16, 2014

For being banned from WUS? Hell, I'd have gotten a few if they gave them out! :eek: :p

dennisthemenace likes this.
  5. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

Normally, I would agree with such sentiments.

This situation reminds me a lot of my college fraternity. We only had two rules that if violated, resulted in immediate expulsion. Neither were written and both were rules of common decency that were so obvious that they really didn't need to be.

When rules start getting too specific then it is human nature to try to find ways around them. So then authorities write regulations that keep the rules from being violated. And then you wind up with the Internal Revenue Code. This runs about 2,500 pages of law and another 10,000 of regulations to explain the other 2,500 pages.

I would like to keep that from happening here.
    gatorcpa

6. blackwatch wants tickets to the HyperBole. Oct 16, 2014

I will work on that, if an image will do in place of an object.

7. UncleBuck understands the decision making hierarchy Oct 16, 2014

Had to throw the "Uncle" in there, didn't you, big boy!

8. Alpha Kilt Owner, Beagle Parent, Omega Collector Oct 16, 2014

I like crazy uncles, guys with chests full of "Banned from WUS medals" and all who refuse to conform :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Northernman and Mothra like this.
  9. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

Lets avoid this like the plague!

tenant-in-commons-rulebook.jpg

10. X350 XJR Vintage Omega Aficionado Oct 16, 2014

One of the reasons I like this place, there really isn't one of those!

Spacefruit, DLT222 and MikiJ like this.
  11. MikiJ Likes songs about Purple spices Oct 16, 2014

If we need one of these to treat one another with respect and honesty, then we don't belong here.
    Sorry to be so demonstrative, but that's just the way I was taught and I'm not going to give it up!

12. DLT222 Double D @ ΩF Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

here here!!

13. M.D. Oct 16, 2014

I 100% agree. I wasn't suggesting adding rules to limit / monitor behavior. My thoughts were along the lines of education. Unfortunately, not everyone follows the mantra of treat others as you would want to be treated, and because there are new people finding their way here every day, some additional help may be of value.

It could simply be additions to the following thread:

http://omegaforums.net/threads/plea...res-for-the-sales-sections.16995/#post-184123

There are a lot of good tips on this site such as "buy the seller, not the watch" and "ask for advice before making your purchase, not after." This is common sense to the more experienced members of the forum, but not so obvious to those newer to the hobby. It's been made clear that some serious offenses occurred repeatedly and over an extended period to merit the actions being taken. In the end, I think what some of us are saying is if there's anything that can be extracted from this experience and summarized in a way that can be helpful for others, it would be appreciated.

The mods may decide there's no way to do this, and if so, I'm sure we'll understand. I think we'd all agree the openness and relaxed nature of the forum is what we love and we don't want to instill anything that would impose on that.

TNTwatch likes this.
  14. gatorcpa ΩF InvestiGator Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

That says it all! :)
    gatorcpa

CdnWatchDoc and NT931 like this.
  15. Fretworker Oct 16, 2014

Speaking as a sub aqua spinster (with an unlimited supply of sweets and love) the message to all water babies wishing to grow up into decent water adults is . . . . (and in the meantime do ensure you wear a decent diver's watch - the SMP is pretty good, no I digress) simply doasyouwouldbedoneby or you'll have to deal with my sterner colleague and bedonebyasyoudid.

It is telling that so many of the above contributions reflect the same view. For this also is my (albeit relatively fresh) experience or perception of the underlying ethos and how the OF has developed and sustains such a vibrant, interesting and entertaining dialogue. This is one reason why we (if I may presume) are shocked and dismayed to learn of unconscionable behaviour or conduct within - it goes to the essence of the group, it taints the very integrity of the forum and by association all of us who participate are fleetingly corrupted by an assault on or abuse of shared core values. This hurts far more than a transgression of formal external rules.

It requires only a little extension of our mutual respect to trust the mods to regulate OF "business" on our behalf and I hope that they may continue to do so without a plethora of formal regulations - I'd like to think that suggestions and advice will be discipline enough.

In acknowledging the seriousness of the steps they have undertaken on our behalf (not taken lightly I guess) I would also like to say just how I appreciate that in doing so they have protected us all, so a big thanks to all of the mods

Bloody hell, that's a bit wordy . . . . I need to lie down now and take another tablet - if anybody has a pin to prick any apparent or obvious pomposity please post a thread will you and I'll send a PM

ICONO, alam, Trev and 3 others like this.
  16. citizenrich Metal Mixer! Oct 16, 2014

Not bloody wordy at all; perhaps a bit of the vapors but that pill you're about to take will quiet it all down, nicely.

UncleBuck likes this.
  17. STANDY schizophrenic pizza orderer and watch collector Oct 16, 2014

Done by the good blokes that run this joint, Had to be a reason.

Thats good enough for me.:cool:

M.D. likes this.
  18. pitpro Likes the game. Oct 16, 2014

there goes half my likes
    heh, you're not cancelling those are you? lol

ulackfocus, kyle L, MikiJ and 4 others like this.
  19. Darlinboy Pratts! Will I B******S!!! Oct 16, 2014

Spotted you one, just in case.;)

20. Trev The Architect Staff Member Oct 16, 2014

No sir. :)