Cyma Flea Market Find | Help Identifying

Just bought this Cyma for $30 USD at the flea market. It was missing a diamond at 6' o'clock, but dial looked original (not redialed) so went ahead and bought it. It came on a generic, hollow bracelet which I removed.

1.jpg

I have zero to no knowledge on Cyma, but I have heard in my country of their good reputation. It's ca. 34-35mm diameter size case, with 20mm lug width.

I assume Cyma crowns are signed, so crown might not be original. (?)

2.jpg

It had four tiny screws securing the caseback. Two were very tight, and one screw was stripped. I sprayed some WD-40, and fifteen minutes later they now unscrewed easily.

4.jpg

I was expecting an ETA 2824, but was pleasantly surprised to find an ETA 2892-2, which is a much more premium movement found on SMP300's (1120 version) and more expensive watches.

Does it look like a legit 2892-2 movement?

6.jpg
3.jpg

Here is the serial number found inside the caseback.

5.jpg

Anybody know what year this Cyma could be from, or the reference?

Thanks!
Edited:

The movement is a calibre ETA 2892, so not old.
So, maybe it's from the 90's.

Not sure if in the 70's or 80's the 2892 was common.

Edit: Just read that the ETA 2892 was released in 1983, and the ETA 2892-A2 was released in the year 2000. Hence, this Cyma is from between 1983-2000.
Edited:

Edit: Just read that the ETA 2892 was released in 1983, and the ETA 2892-A2 was released in the year 2000. Hence, this Cyma is from between 1983-2000.

I would say that it appears more of an '80s design.

The crown definitely is acting wonky.

Could not set the crown in 2nd position, so cannot get the second hand to hack. Also could not remove the crown/stem. Pressed here, but crown will not get out. It must be stuck somehow.

red-spot.jpg

Still considering if it's worth sending it for a service since the ETA 2892-2 is very robust and found on much more expensive watches. A brown leather strap would pair nicely.

Still considering if it's worth sending it for a service since the ETA 2892-2 is very robust and found on much more expensive watches.

My answer would be no, and I didn't have to give it much thought.

There is no major aspect of the watch that is (charitably) in very good condition, nor one that presents very well. Your estimation of the ETA 2892-2 is also inflated, or perhaps confused, in my view. I say that because while it may have been a good base caliber (I haven't researched it), its desirability was, and is based largely on how it was finished. So, for example, here was a NOS CYMA with that movement, that sold for $140 a couple of years ago:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Watchexcha..._80s90s_nos_cyma_automatic_eta_28922_hi_beat/

That, coupled with your photos, suggest that CYMA did not finish the movements to a particularly high standard.

Here, in contrast, is a Longines, and the difference in finishing is striking:

LG86754.jpg

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/293659850669

This website may earn commission from Ebay sales.
Although Cyma made some wonderful watches their heyday in my opinion was in the 1950s when they made some really good in house movements. This is from much later as others have said and unless you really love the watch it would be a pass from me.