Forums Latest Members

CYMA Automatic dial originality

1. WatchCor Apr 1, 2020

Hello all

I bumped (pun intended) on to this relatively rare reference and I am considering making on offer on it:

DSC_0963.JPG DSC_0967.JPG

It is in incredible condition case-wise and it is advertised to have it's original leather strap (sic!) with it.

My research led me to think that this particular example is some sort of extension / continuation of their "Watersport" line.

To my eyes the dial is in very good condition but alas I have not been able to source a similar dial with a Google search. There is no lume pips on the dial or lume on the hands which is normal and consistent.

The dial looks to me to be original but the my only puzzlement is the "swiss made" placement. It is slightly offset to the "swiss" side. The few similar (not same) dials I found the "swiss made" was centered for example from here:

675500-6fe19e73932cea4eedb8e913caad782c-picsay.jpg

So I would kindly ask for the opinions of the ΩF members. Is that a redial? For the asking price of 1200£ I would like it to be original. If it wad 50-60% of the asking price I would almost accept it even as a redial.

Additional eyecandy shots:
    DSC_0982.JPG DSC_0978.JPG DSC_0975.JPG

bardamu, Dan S, bubba48 and 5 others like this.
  2. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 1, 2020

Absolutely original, and very nice indeed.

[​IMG]

bubba48, wagudc, Als 27 and 4 others like this.
  3. WatchCor Apr 1, 2020

Absolutely wonderful @Tony C. Oh boy your CYMA is gorgeous. Love the dial variations on these.

DaveK likes this.
  4. JimInOz Melbourne Australia Apr 1, 2020

I'm not well versed in Cyma or this model, so I look at the big picture.

If that dial was on a case that showed wear or pitting, and/or if the movement looked worn or discoloured I would be suspicious of a redial.

In this case (pun again) the movement is in pristine condition, the case is, dare I say it, "minty", or even NOS.
    I therefore equate the condition of the dial to the rest of the watch.

In addition, as I mentioned on another thread about textured dials, it's extremely difficult to get a decent stamp on the surface when doing a redial, and even originals may have tiny imperfections due the the textured surface and the older tooling/methods used in the past.

I'd have no hesitation in spending money on this example.

Als 27, WatchCor and noelekal like this.
  5. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 1, 2020

Also, for future reference, bear in mind that redials of textured dials are particularly difficult to execute well, and for obvious reasons. I do broadly agree with Jim (above), though, in that the consistency of condition of the various elements of a vintage watch can provide important clues.

bubba48 likes this.
  6. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 1, 2020

Just for interest, here is an inherited Cyma bumper that I have passed on to one of my brothers. The whole watch, including the dial has been refurbished/restored by STS/Swisstec :)
    New Cyma.jpg

Spruce, Als 27 and WatchCor like this.
  7. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 1, 2020

A good quality redial. Thanks!

Edited Apr 1, 2020
  8. ConElPueblo Apr 1, 2020

For £1200 it will be delivered by hand by a celebrity of your choice, right?

Radiumpassion likes this.
  9. WatchCor Apr 1, 2020

Yes absolutely, however due to social distancing rules It will have to be an imaginary one. :p

Yeah, I figured that 1200 is quite alot for an obscure 50's dress watch. But then again it is in quite nice condition. As @JimInOz mentioned it's "minty" or dare we say NOS.

I'll see if I can negotiate it a bit lower.

ConElPueblo likes this.
  10. Tony C. Ωf Jury member Apr 1, 2020

It's a beautiful watch, in exceptional condition. Refining "correct" prices in the current environment is an exercise in futility. There is certainly downward pressure on prices, but the best examples will hold their values much better than most.

WatchCor likes this.
  11. ConElPueblo Apr 1, 2020

I should have sold my Mido at a higher price :D

Agree. I would argue that the value never went that high in the first place. Still, market price is what people are willing to pay :)

KingCrouchy and WatchCor like this.
  12. Professor Apr 1, 2020

Was the dial replaced or only cleaned and maybe touched up?
    Beautifully done.

13. bubba48 Apr 1, 2020

Not automatic, but textured

cyma oro (0).jpg

cyma textured (0).jpg

cyma triplex tapezerie (0).jpg

wagudc, WatchCor, MRC and 1 other person like this.
  14. Mouse_at_Large still immune to Speedmaster attraction Apr 1, 2020

Cleaned and touched up. The eventual recipient couldn't care less that the A in Cyma doesn't have a flat top any more :D

Tony C. and Professor like this.
  15. WatchCor Apr 15, 2020

Yeah, so I requested for a delivery by Anna de Armas and Emily Blunt with the watch but they were unavailable. :p I still got the watch. It's not NOS but is very very minty. The original leather strap with the buckle and tag I am hiding away and I'll rock it on Molequin tan leather strap (once it arrives)

More eye candy:
    IMG_20200415_201300.jpg IMG_20200415_201244.jpg IMG_20200415_201215.jpg IMG_20200415_201131.jpg
    P.s. my first bumper. Absolutely loving that bumper feel and sound.

bardamu, Kulee-Baba, Zapatta and 3 others like this.