Forums Latest Members

Cyma 14K - gold hallmark and opinions?

1. nkb Jul 29, 2020

Hi all
    I previously posted on this watch but I have new photos and would like to ask about overall condition and gold hallmarks on the case.
    Circa 1940s?
    Nice original dial with some age-related "patina"
    cy1.jpg

Case maybe a bit polished and crown a replacement?
    cy2.jpg

cy3.jpg

Case size is around 32mm
    cy5.jpg

Case back scratched
    cy4.jpg

As you can see below, the 14K hallmark on the inside case back is fine but I have been looking for the hallmark on the case body. I think I found it on the inside of the case that would normally be covered; see the photo yellow circled around it below. However I could be wrong!

Cyma cal 414 variant with 17 jewels
    cy6.jpg cy7.jpg

Additionally from the grainy photo below of the inside lug I think I can make out a marking but again I could be wrong!
    lug2.png

Unfortunately the seller has upped the price to $ US650 citing the rising gold price and I am assuming it would need a service on top of that.

I would love to hear your comments on my observations and the overall prospect on this example.
    Cheers all

2. nkb Jul 31, 2020

Bump!
    No replies :D Wonder why?
    Looking forward to hearing from someone!

3. davidswiss Jul 31, 2020

The lug and inside of the caseback are where the hallmarks are on all the gold watches I have seen. \the case is very worn and a service is a definite. Being only 33cms makes it on the small side nowadays and therefore less attractive to most buyers. I can't comment on the gold value but for me it's one to avoid, I'm sure you can get better for $650. Good luck.

4. Drawarms Jul 31, 2020

stamping looks ok and correct, lugs way too polished and thin would avoid

5. nkb Jul 31, 2020

@davidswiss and @Drawarms
    Thank you for your honest opinions, it is much appreciated:thumbsup: Lets say I won't be throwing $650 at this one!

6. Drawarms Jul 31, 2020

there's lots of solid gold longines for close to melt that can be had for similar pricing