Customer Service Means Something

Currently in talks with Nivada Grenchen to get my broken Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver unbroken.

Not shitting on the brand but this is taking forever.

I email them, they email back every other day ~ occasionally every 3rd or 4th day, and given the time difference between Mountain Time in the States and Switzerland I email them back immediately because I reside on vampire hours (they typically respond around 3-4am my time) but then I wait another two days (or longer) for a reply...

at this rate I'll probably be sending it back to Switzerland in another 30 days, then factor in repair time & shipping back to me, I don't know -- maybe back on my wrist by summer of 2023?

This is something I had never considered, but am definitely aware of going forward, when purchasing from small businesses across the pond.

Feeling a touch frustrated.

Ah yes, first world problems! Imagine how infuriating it must have been back when communications were handled via pen and paper, posted across the country on a pony, tossed on a steamer with the hopes it doesn't hit an iceberg during it's journey across the ocean...and then their response follows the same steps. 😉

All jokes aside, hoping your Nivada gets unbroken swiftly.

That sounds frustrating and I hope you get a speedy resolution.

As an aside, weren't you concerned about the robustness of vintage? Now that you have some time on your hands, you could try wading into those waters.

Ah yes, first world problems! Imagine how infuriating it must have been back when communications were handled via pen and paper, posted across the country on a pony, tossed on a steamer with the hopes it doesn't hit an iceberg during it's journey across the ocean...and then their response follows the same steps.
If you read the history of how the Patek Philippe Graves Supercomplication watch was developed in the 1930's this is exactly how it was done. Drawings forwarded back and forth via surface mail between Patek Philippe in Geneva and Henry Graves in New York to develop the details, dial layout, overall design, etc., it took a long time. Approvals had to be given all along the way. And when the watch was finally completed it was sent via ocean mail to Graves in NYC, enclosed in the parcel was a letter to US Customs explaining it was a very complicated watch and how to handle it if required (in other words how not to screw it up during any inspection). Times have certainly changed. But hopefully @SC1 can get things resolved in relatively quick fashion.

And when the watch was finally completed it was sent via ocean mail to Graves in NYC, enclosed in the parcel was a letter to US Customs explaining it was a very complicated watch and how to handle it if required (in other words how not to screw it up during any inspection). Times have certainly changed.

Even standing in front of them, TSA manages to drop a laptop. 🤦

People in the US who have to send new, malfunctioning Omegas in for repair are often waiting that long or longer to get the watch fixed. Even if purchased from an OB or AD locally. The one thing that would be easier is working with the OB/ AD to get it sent over. But there are plenty of stories about communication errors, delays, etc. anyway.

Sucks to have to deal with that, especially for a brand new watch that shouldn’t be causing any headaches. Is what it is. It does remind me a bit of playing email tag with offshore teams. Between the time difference and language barrier I’ve seen it take an absurd amount of time to sort out simple matters.

One would think in 2023 that we would have a much more connected global economy- more open borders for trade and easy lines of communication and transport of goods…but no. It all comes down to the devaluing of labor- which translates to “labor shortages”…there is no shortage of labor, just a shortage of decent wages.
People seem to forget the second part of “nobody wants to work anymore…”which is “…for your shitty pay and benefits”

Staff a business appropriately and cut that upper end profit a bit and it would be surprising how much easier (and profitable) business becomes.

Obviously we are talking about a much smaller business in the case of Nivada, they seem to be in the micro-brand catagory still and I can’t imagine they have a large staff.
Edited:

Currently in talks with Nivada Grenchen to get my broken Chronomaster Aviator Sea Diver unbroken.

Not shitting on the brand but this is taking forever.

I email them, they email back every other day ~ occasionally every 3rd or 4th day, and given the time difference between Mountain Time in the States and Switzerland I email them back immediately because I reside on vampire hours (they typically respond around 3-4am my time) but then I wait another two days (or longer) for a reply...

at this rate I'll probably be sending it back to Switzerland in another 30 days, then factor in repair time & shipping back to me, I don't know -- maybe back on my wrist by summer of 2023?

This is something I had never considered, but am definitely aware of going forward, when purchasing from small businesses across the pond.

Feeling a touch frustrated.
The sucks.. do they not have a a US service contractor?

The sucks.. do they not have a a US service contractor?

Don't know yet because I apparently haven't had enough email back n forth to unlock that level of the game.

Don't know yet because I apparently haven't had enough email back n forth to unlock that level of the game.
Great show on This American Life this week ….Its called “The Runaround”

Well luckily you have some nice watches in your collection to keep you amused while your Nivada is getting straightened out 👍

‘’This is something I had never considered, but am definitely aware of going forward, when purchasing from small businesses across the pond.’’
Not all small EU watch companies are this bad. Personally, I have found Baltic to be super responsive. I needed a repair to my Bi-Compax. Between my first e mail and having my watch back from Grand Central Watch service was a tad under 5 weeks. On a problem with a strap, I e mailed and a new one arrived three days later. Questions are answered promptly. I wonder also if holiday vacations have something to do with the poor response so far.

Hodinkee appears to be a retailer, contact them and ask who the service agent is in the US, there should be one. It's a Sellita movement, nothing exotic, there are folks in the US that can fix the issue with your watch. The last thing I would want to do is ship it back to Switzerland for repair.
Edited:

Not at the CVS pharmacy. The arrogant, condescending little puke who told me what was in my sealed prescription bag, was in fact not, when I got home and opened it, and then told me when I confronted him about it, that they can’t take returns, nor was he willing to credit my co-payment.

I probably should have gotten his name, and his supervisor, but I guess I missed that opportunity when I threw it at him, and he got on the phone to call the cops. Had to make a hasty exit. Still pissing me off, though…

Not at the CVS pharmacy. The arrogant, condescending little puke who told me what was in my sealed prescription bag, was in fact not, when I got home and opened it, and then told me when I confronted him about it, that they can’t take returns, nor was he willing to credit my co-payment.

I probably should have gotten his name, and his supervisor, but I guess I missed that opportunity when I threw it at him, and he got on the phone to call the cops. Had to make a hasty exit. Still pissing me off, though…
You assaulted him with your prescription, Bob!?! LOL, my vote for post of the day. Calm down, man. We don't want you to have a stroke. 😁

I could use a good stroke…just not an embolic or thrombolitic one…

Did he give you the suppository again? It’s far more fun if two people are involved administering those.

Did he give you the suppository again? It’s far more fun if two people are involved administering those.

Please…tell me more….

Please…tell me more….
There is another “OF” on the internet where I’m sure you can find some tutorials