Forums Latest Members

How do you place your watch when not wearing it at night??

1. an1030 Mar 21, 2018

i don’t usually wear my watch when I sleep, I am wondering if most folks here have any tips on how they place their watch when not worn every night. My speedy is on a bracelet and I usually just place it in a face up position where the bracelet pushes into the case back, do others rest it on the side?

Benbradstock and Omegafanman like this.
  2. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

I float my APs, Piagets, IWCs, and JLCs in an anti gravity vacuum chamber to minimize any potential damage. Brands like Omega and Breitling are stored on cushions in a winder. All the riff riff and hoi polloi just get put in a drawer.

3. 77deluxe Mar 21, 2018

That’s practically what I do. I just take it off without much thought, and put it on my nightstand. Seems to be working out fine for me.

Kim, Omegafanman and Spruce like this.
  4. 77deluxe Mar 21, 2018

How often do you have to change out the flux capacitor in your antigravity vacuum chamber? I hear this gets expensive.

kkt and REckroat like this.
  5. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

Philips now makes a much longer life flux capacitor. You can find it next to their CFL and LED bulbs at most hardware stores. It's only marginally more expensive, 28% more energy efficient, and lasts 3 to 4 times as long as the old style.

ChrisK25, SSGMT, aventador and 2 others like this.
  6. oddboy Zero to Grail+2998 In Six Months Mar 21, 2018

About as often as you replace the helium in your diver.

7. an1030 Mar 21, 2018

I was just reading that placing it on the side doesn’t go too well for the accuracy due to gravity. I was also worried about potentially scratching the case back when on a strap but I guess that could be resolved by placing it on a mat or towel. I travel often so have to be a little more mindful.

Starman71 likes this.
  8. an1030 Mar 21, 2018

Do folks tend to joke here more than on other forums? Is it because my question gets asked a million times?

9. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

In all seriousness, you should experiment with the way different positions affect your watch's timekeeping. If it gains a couple seconds during the day while wearing it, but loses a couple seconds if placed on it's side overnight, one cancels the other out. I've had a few watches (a couple with ETA 2892 variations) that were as accurate as a quartz watch after I learned how to use positional variance to my advantage.

Maybe just a little more. ;) :p

While this question does repeat occasionally, it's not one of the annoying topics that show up constantly.

Omegafanman, Syzygy, lando and 2 others like this.
  10. an1030 Mar 21, 2018

I try my best to search before asking some things but my search abilities are handicapped.

As for the question, I just want to ensure the longevity of my first big purchase (to me :eek:). Learned the hard way from a little hairline scratch I got while moving around with it while sleeping to decide I could easily bang this watch around unknowingly!

Two lessons learned for me, I don’t need it on overnight even when travelling and scratches on the bracelet are bound to happen and get worse no matter how careful I try to be in the future... :(

Still, wanted to mitigate future damages and I guess any new damage as long as from wear and tear will only get easier to live with in time!

Can’t keep my eyes off the speedy and it’s hesalite glsss during a sunny day though ::love::

11. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

I was entirely understanding and in agreement with you right up until the last sentence. :taunt:

gostang9 likes this.
  12. speedybob Mar 21, 2018

Crown down.
    I experimented with different watch positions and found that with crown down position, my Speedy is +6 spd. while in other positions it's between +8 to +10 spd

13. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

It's different for every individual caliber. What works for your Speedmaster won't work the same for any other watch.

14. an1030 Mar 21, 2018

What does crown down mean?? :eek:

15. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

Resting the watch on it's side with the crown on the table / surface.

16. gostang9 Mar 21, 2018

That was a good chuckle at 12:45am!

ulackfocus likes this.
  17. jets Mar 21, 2018

I don't ordinarily take my watch off at bedtime, but when I do it's because I'm getting some action. I lie on my back and so does the watch.

18. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

19. ulackfocus Mar 21, 2018

The OVERSHARE alarm is going off: "TMI TMI TMI".

20. gostang9 Mar 21, 2018

My most expensive watch damage lesson happened when I took my Explorer II off over a ceramic floor before showering. If you take your watch off every night and put it back on every morning, be sure to do so over a soft surface (bed, carpet, rug). A shattered crystal, scratched dial/hands and complete service will leave you desperately wishing you’d only suffered surface scratches from tossing in bed...